Help. I

Post by dere » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 21:06:22

Hi

Help.  I have produced a database for use in the building construction
industry.  The current database is in access 2002.  I now need to develop it
into a saleable product.  Do I purchase Microsoft access developers Toolkit
Or would I be better lashing out on sequel server.  If I buy SQL (800.00)
can I use it to develop my current access database into a fully developed
programme or do I need new skills when I convert.

what would you do?.

--
Regards

Derek

Help. I

Post by Shan » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 23:40:33

Derek,

First of all, if you are developing your front end application with a
product such as VB or C++, you do not need to purchase MS Access Developer
Edition.  An MDB can be distributed without licensing.  However, if the
entire application is done using MS Access, then you will need to either
purchase Access Developer, or alternatively bundle Access with you
application.  Based on my experience I would choose the latter in this
situation.

Secondly, SQL Server is fairly straight forward when it comes to basic
functionality such as maintaining tables.  However, the cost of your product
to the customer will be quite a bit higher.  I would make your decision
based on the power that your application needs, and the number of records
and users that will be processed.

Best of Luck!

Quote:> Hi

> Help.  I have produced a database for use in the building construction
> industry.  The current database is in access 2002.  I now need to develop
it
> into a saleable product.  Do I purchase Microsoft access developers
Toolkit
> Or would I be better lashing out on sequel server.  If I buy SQL (800.00)
> can I use it to develop my current access database into a fully developed
> programme or do I need new skills when I convert.

> what would you do?.

> --
> Regards

> Derek

Help. I

Post by Wm. G. Urquhar » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:26:23

> Hi

> Help.  I have produced a database for use in the building construction
> industry.  The current database is in access 2002.  I now need to develop it
> into a saleable product.  Do I purchase Microsoft access developers Toolkit
> Or would I be better lashing out on sequel server.  If I buy SQL (800.00)
> can I use it to develop my current access database into a fully developed
> programme or do I need new skills when I convert.

> what would you do?.

> --
> Regards

> Derek

Hi Derek,

You may want to consider using the MSDE for this project. The MSDE or
Microsoft Data Engine, is what you could really describe as a Junior SQL
Server. There are licencing issues but from what you say it appears that
you will be covered by this.

I use it all the time, and have had no problems with it.

Use this
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/techart/ac...

as your first point of reference.

HTH.

-Regards,

William.

1. help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,

Hi,
I have a small problem, and if you know the answer I would really be
thankful for your help.
I have an access database which is called "Client.mdb"
on a form, I displayed a dbcombox for the costumer's name
a textbox for the address
a textbox for the city
a textbox for the state
and a textbox for the zipcode

on all my textboxes and the dbcombobox I have set their Datasource and
Datafield properties to Data1,
when I run the program the information on the first record of the data shows
on the form,

but what I need to do is, when I change the costumer's name on the
dbcombobox (which displays all of the costumer's names on it) I want the
textboxes to show the address, city, state, and zipcode of the costumer I
have choosen,

Thank you in advance,
Enrique G Lugo

2. unnecessary updates

3. Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,

4. Stored Proc Issue

5. help help help help help help help help help

6. primary key debate

7. SQL To ORACLE Help Help Help Help Help

8. Version Control software recommendations

9. query:HELP! HELP HELP HELP HELP

10. Help help help help

11. HELP HELP HELP HELP!

12. HELP HELP HELP HELP