Hierarchy editor

Post by Guillermo Uriar » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 00:12:02

Hello,

anybody knows of a tool that allows you to create a hierarchy and then
export it to a text file so you can later build a hierarchy dimension
table from it?

For example (simplified), if I wanted a dimension to have this
hierarchy:

The file should be something like this:

A;B
A;C

Thanks

Hierarchy editor

Post by ChrisM » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 12:36:35

And you would be talking about the software known as ...... ???

Quote:>Hello,

>anybody knows of a tool that allows you to create a hierarchy and then
>export it to a text file so you can later build a hierarchy dimension
>table from it?

>For example (simplified), if I wanted a dimension to have this
>hierarchy:

>The file should be something like this:

>A;B
>A;C

>Thanks

Hierarchy editor

Post by Mike Baine » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 20:33:08

I have written programs to do this in the past.  Unfortunately, I did not
keep these programs.

It depends whether you need a tool that takes user instructions such as a
treeview, where you can add/delete/edit the members.  Or something that
takes badly structured data and creates a hierarchy.

If you cannot find a suitable tool let me know and I'll see if I can
resurrect some old code from the grey matter.

Quote:> Hello,

> anybody knows of a tool that allows you to create a hierarchy and then
> export it to a text file so you can later build a hierarchy dimension
> table from it?

> For example (simplified), if I wanted a dimension to have this
> hierarchy:

> The file should be something like this:

> A;B
> A;C

> Thanks

Hierarchy editor

Post by Guillermo Uriar » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 22:56:06

I want to use it with Cognos Transformer. I have an array of measures
(about 250) and I don't want to place them in the flat measures
dimension, I prefer to have them organized in a hierarchy and so have
rollups. Making a file with the hierarchy in table format with up to
eight levels (as Cognos Transformer needs) is a kind of hell. I'm
doing by myself a program in delphi to make the file using a TTreeView
object if I need help I will let you know.

Thanks

> I have written programs to do this in the past.  Unfortunately, I did not
> keep these programs.

> It depends whether you need a tool that takes user instructions such as a
> treeview, where you can add/delete/edit the members.  Or something that
> takes badly structured data and creates a hierarchy.

> If you cannot find a suitable tool let me know and I'll see if I can
> resurrect some old code from the grey matter.

> > Hello,

> > anybody knows of a tool that allows you to create a hierarchy and then
> > export it to a text file so you can later build a hierarchy dimension
> > table from it?

> > For example (simplified), if I wanted a dimension to have this
> > hierarchy:

> > The file should be something like this:

> > A;B
> > A;C

> > Thanks

Hierarchy editor

Post by Guillermo Uriar » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 22:57:02

I want to use it with Cognos Transformer

> And you would be talking about the software known as ...... ???

> >Hello,

> >anybody knows of a tool that allows you to create a hierarchy and then
> >export it to a text file so you can later build a hierarchy dimension
> >table from it?

> >For example (simplified), if I wanted a dimension to have this
> >hierarchy:

> >The file should be something like this:

> >A;B
> >A;C

> >Thanks

1. Setting parameters at Hierarchy within a hierarchy

All,
I have a situation where I have two hierarchies : the Oragnization
hierarchy which has 6 levels, for example
Firm
  Entity
      Business_Unit
          Division
               Region
                   Office

and the second hierarchy is
Business_Group
              Product_Group
                           Product
                                  Sec_Type
                                          Sec_Sub_type

I have resolved the above two hierarchies by creating 1 table at each
level and setting up a 1:M relationship.

From a processing perspective, the business rules requirements are to
be able to set parameters at
Firm
    Business_Group
         Product_Group
               Product
                   Sec_Type
                      Sec_Sub_type

Entity
    Business_Group
         Product_Group
               Product
                   Sec_Type
                      Sec_Sub_type

and so on ..... all the way down to the account level. Parameters set
the lowest level will override the values at a higher level. No matter
where the parameters are set, the requirements is to be able to see
the values at the ACCOUNT - SEC_SUB_TYPE level.

My first thought was to create one table for every level meaning Firm
- Business_Group, Firm-Product_Group etc. etc. ..... Then I have
thought of completely de-normalizing the hierarchy and carry all
combinations in 1 big table. Both seem a little extreme, although I
must confess I am leaning towards the latter. I realize that the
maintenance would be higher because of repeating elements but the
parameters will be changes no more than once every couple of months.
Also the number of records on both sides are fairly small.

This matrix that I am thinking about will be at most a cartesian
product between office and Sec_Sub_type. There are about 30 parameters
that need to be set in this manner.

Any thoughts on this ? One one side I want to normalize this, because
that what makes sense to me, but then on the other side, I am thinking
why do it and create 30 some tables in the process ? Since everything
has to be resolved down to the lowest level, why not just create a
matrix.

This is an important design consideration for me since there will be
other parameters that may follow a similar pattern in the future and
performance is very important.

What do you all think ?

Regards
Harry

2. disk init failure

3. W4GL Script Editor/ DOS Editor Summary

4. Use DTS to extract XML

5. US-Big Six Clients PeopleSoft PeopleTools Application Security Record Editor Panel Editor Menu Editor HR Financial Latest manufacturing

6. datetime/datecrack/timezone GMT?

7. Database for hierarchies: esp. dynamically changing tangled hierarchies ?

8. Precision problems with float8

9. Recursive Stored Proc to store a hierarchy

10. Dynamically extract database Hierarchy to use for Insert order

11. Repost: ordering with Celko's hierarchy

12. traversing parts hierarchy?