HELP!: DB/2 Query Manager (DB/2 v1.0) not available under DB/2 v2.1

HELP!: DB/2 Query Manager (DB/2 v1.0) not available under DB/2 v2.1

Post by Nobod » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

As part of an upgrade of OS/2 v2.11 to OS/2 Warp v4, I have upgraded my DB/2
v1.0 installation to DB/2 v2.1.

I used to use Query Manager under DB/2 v1.0, to view forms, produce SQL
reports and enter data. There is no Query Manager in DB/2 v2.1. IBM
can't/won't tell me why this is the case. They seem to have removed it!

There is a copy of Lotus Approach v3.0 supplied with DB/2 v2.1. This will
run under WIN-OS2, and I can connect to my DB/2 v2.1 database through ODBC.
This all works fine, but the forms, panels and reports I previously had
under Query Manager for DB/2 v1.0 are not visible. They exist in the
database, but I can't display them.

I assume I'm supposed to re-enter all my forms and reports into Lotus
Approach manually, and access the DB/2 database through them using ODBC.

Has anyone else performed a similar upgrade? Does anyone have *any* advice?
Why is there no information on this? Am I the only person performing such an
upgrade? Help!

I'd really appreciate some advice on this, as IBM seem to have left us
without a crucial part of DB/2!!

Cheers,

(Opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of Logica UK
Limited.)

Post by rmycrof » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> YES ! Absolutely correct. THERE IS NO QUERY MANAGER AFTER DB2 V1.2

> This caused me amazing amounts of hassle about 2 years ago. The Visualizer
> products are about as close as you can get for that. However,  I don't think any
> of your query manager fun stuff will work.

> IBM are really unhelpful for this particular bit of information but it's old hat
> now .

snip....

Quote:> > I used to use Query Manager under DB/2 v1.0, to view forms, produce SQL
> > reports and enter data. There is no Query Manager in DB/2 v2.1. IBM
> > can't/won't tell me why this is the case. They seem to have removed it!

> > There is a copy of Lotus Approach v3.0 supplied with DB/2 v2.1. This will
> > run under WIN-OS2, and I can connect to my DB/2 v2.1 database through ODBC.
> > This all works fine, but the forms, panels and reports I previously had
> > under Query Manager for DB/2 v1.0 are not visible. They exist in the
> > database, but I can't display them.

> > I assume I'm supposed to re-enter all my forms and reports into Lotus
> > Approach manually, and access the DB/2 database through them using ODBC.

> > Has anyone else performed a similar upgrade? Does anyone have *any* advice?
> > Why is there no information on this? Am I the only person performing such an
> > upgrade? Help!

> > I'd really appreciate some advice on this, as IBM seem to have left us
> > without a crucial part of DB/2!!

Gee, and just a little while ago I was being panned by the IBM crowd
because MS doesn't have an automatic upgrade for their SQL Server after
they added in row locking.  And I was told essentially how 'IBM would
never do that'!  Guess IBM and MS really are two peas in the same pod.

Rich Mycroft

Post by Chris Slatter » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

YES ! Absolutely correct. THERE IS NO QUERY MANAGER AFTER DB2 V1.2

This caused me amazing amounts of hassle about 2 years ago. The Visualizer
products are about as close as you can get for that. However,  I don't think any
of your query manager fun stuff will work.

IBM are really unhelpful for this particular bit of information but it's old hat
now .

Only solution I can think of is to go back to DB2 V1.2 . I got it working under
Merlin.

only other alternative i know of is to do what you were saying....

Sorry.
Chris

> As part of an upgrade of OS/2 v2.11 to OS/2 Warp v4, I have upgraded my DB/2
> v1.0 installation to DB/2 v2.1.

> I used to use Query Manager under DB/2 v1.0, to view forms, produce SQL
> reports and enter data. There is no Query Manager in DB/2 v2.1. IBM
> can't/won't tell me why this is the case. They seem to have removed it!

> There is a copy of Lotus Approach v3.0 supplied with DB/2 v2.1. This will
> run under WIN-OS2, and I can connect to my DB/2 v2.1 database through ODBC.
> This all works fine, but the forms, panels and reports I previously had
> under Query Manager for DB/2 v1.0 are not visible. They exist in the
> database, but I can't display them.

> I assume I'm supposed to re-enter all my forms and reports into Lotus
> Approach manually, and access the DB/2 database through them using ODBC.

> Has anyone else performed a similar upgrade? Does anyone have *any* advice?
> Why is there no information on this? Am I the only person performing such an
> upgrade? Help!

> I'd really appreciate some advice on this, as IBM seem to have left us
> without a crucial part of DB/2!!

> Cheers,

> (Opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of Logica UK
> Limited.)

HELP!: DB/2 Query Manager (DB/2 v1.0) not available under DB/2 v2.1

Post by David No » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On Tuesday, 97/11/18, "Nobody" wrote to All about "HELP!: DB/2 Query
Manager" as follows:

N> I used to use Query Manager under DB/2 v1.0, to view forms, produce SQL
N> reports and enter data. There is no Query Manager in DB/2 v2.1. IBM
N> can't/won't tell me why this is the case. They seem to have removed it!

Indeed they have.

N> There is a copy of Lotus Approach v3.0 supplied with DB/2 v2.1. This will
N> run under WIN-OS2, and I can connect to my DB/2 v2.1 database through
N> ODBC. This all works fine, but the forms, panels and reports I previously
N> had under Query Manager for DB/2 v1.0 are not visible. They exist in the
N> database, but I can't display them.

Well, they aren't sleeping; they're dead.

N> I assume I'm supposed to re-enter all my forms and reports into Lotus
N> Approach manually, and access the DB/2 database through them using ODBC.

No. IBM's current idea is stupid, but it isn't _that_ stupid.

N> Has anyone else performed a similar upgrade? Does anyone have *any*
N> advice? Why is there no information on this? Am I the only person
N> performing such an upgrade? Help!

I have done this on 2 machines. Once you get used to IBM's hair-brained
idea, it goes from being insufferable to merely irritating.

N> I'd really appreciate some advice on this, as IBM seem to have left us
N> without a crucial part of DB/2!!

They replaced QMF with a drag-and-drop piece of crepe called Visualizer.

It is a separately installable option, so get your CD out again. However,
its licence is included with the DB2/2 licence, so you don't need another
nodelock code.

Once you have installed Visualizer, it should do a bind automagically to any
database upon which you run a query. However, all of your old "canned"
queries will have been lost. You will need to re-create them using Visualizer
"flight" queries. There are 2 ways: use the "SQL Pilot" to generate the SQL;
type the SQL directly into a window by hand. The latter is orders of
magnitude faster, especially on a client machine.

You might be able to import your old forms and panels. I haven't tried this,
so I'm not sure if it will work.

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>

 * KWQ/2 1.2i * "That explains everything! But it doesn't help at all."
--
Please remove the '$' in the from line before reply via email.
Anti-UCE filter in operation.

HELP!: DB/2 Query Manager (DB/2 v1.0) not available under DB/2 v2.1

Post by fil.. » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I managed to access all my QM queries after installing Visualizer. Not
obvious but they were there in a folder (can check out the name if you
need it). From there you can import them into a report etc.

--
Robin Whitlock
http://www.squiredeck.com.au

1. OLE DB Provider v1.5 for Btrieve is Available

OLE DB Provider v1.5 Beta for Btrieve is Available

Current Beta version 1.5 works only with Pervasive.SQL v7.0
Version that works with P.SQL 7.5 will be available at the end of July

New features in OLE DB provider v1.5 for Btrieve:
- Supports interface Session::IDBSchemaRowset. It allows using the
   provider effectively with variety of ActiveX data binding controls
   and provides better compatibility with environments requiring the
   interface such as Visual Basic.
-  Supports Command object and complex SQL queries. Now it is possible
   to use provider in MS SQL Server 7.0 environment (linked servers,
   DTS) and in many cutting-edge application.
-  Data access is improved dramatically. A lot of operations perform
   significantly faster with new version.

For more information and download please visit www.sw-soft.com

2. VB5 - Access and SQL statements

3. Q: Lost DB due to system crash but saved DB files how to recreate DB.

4. Auditing When Audit_Trail is Disabled

5. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

6. Création de table temporaire

7. DB-Library error 10040: DB-Library network communication layer not loaded

8. "Close connection on Completion" - which one is closed?

9. db alias not showing up in db desktop

10. Query from One DB Servers from Another DB Server

11. ADO to Access DB, DB is closed on second query

12. Copying Query, DB>DB

13. HELP!!: Opening DB/2 v1.0 database from OS/2 C Application (VisualAge C++)