help migrating from Alpha Micro

Post by Tim Weav » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 23:04:18

I have a friend working for a Non-Profit organization in Kalamazoo who
has been assigned the daunting task of migrating from an Alpha Micro
computer to something a bit more current.  I've been advised that this
is a good place to ask.  The question is, how do you get the data off
the Alpha Micro?  We'll settle for tab delimited ASCII.

Any help appreciated.
--

| Timothy E. Weaver          | Kalamazoo College  |  (616) 337-7239        |
| Microcomputer Coordinator  | 1200 Academy       | These are MY opinions! |

Post by Fred Waltm » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 03:17:14

>I have a friend working for a Non-Profit organization in Kalamazoo who
>has been assigned the daunting task of migrating from an Alpha Micro
>computer to something a bit more current.  I've been advised that this
>is a good place to ask.  The question is, how do you get the data off
>the Alpha Micro?  We'll settle for tab delimited ASCII.

>Any help appreciated.
>--

>| Timothy E. Weaver          | Kalamazoo College  |  (616) 337-7239        |
>| Microcomputer Coordinator  | 1200 Academy       | These are MY opinions! |

Here are a couple of questions that might help us help you:

        Is the Alpha Micro running AMOS or PICK? (O/S release could help)

        What sort of removable media does it have (i.e. floppy, tape)?

One technique I've used many times is to hook up a PC in place of a serial
printer (or a parallel printer -- use a serial/parallel converter) and "print"
reports to PC which than captures them to disk. You have to write a little
conversion program to throw a way the headers, footers etc. It's a little
bit of a "Rube Goldberg" but sometimes its the only way to go.

--
Fred Waltman
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by John Lombar » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 18:50:22

: I have a friend working for a Non-Profit organization in Kalamazoo who
: has been assigned the daunting task of migrating from an Alpha Micro
: computer to something a bit more current.  I've been advised that this
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Such as?

: the Alpha Micro?  We'll settle for tab delimited ASCII.
How much do you want to pay.  There are services that will take a Pick T-DUMP
and turn it into anything you wish.
--
John Lombardo

John Lombardo

Post by Tim Weav » Sat, 26 Feb 1994 00:19:16

Quote:Fred Waltman writes:
>Here are a couple of questions that might help us help you:
>    Is the Alpha Micro running AMOS or PICK? (O/S release could help)

You have to excuse me for being a bit sketchy, but I had the system
described to me by a novice,  we are currently working on getting me
the manuals.  I did get a response via e-mail that is the best
description I have of the machine:

Ahh yes.  I had a holiday job programming one of these.  If I recall
correctly, AMOS is the operating system (which bears a remarkable
resemblance to VMS) and Andy was the DBMS.

Lessee.  Andy was a sort of crude 4GL, with a screen painter and
report writer.  This then generated Basic programs which were compiled
and run under AMOS, just like any other prog.

So the easiest way would be to fire up the report writer, design a
report that dumps your data in whatever flat-ascii format you want,
and then redirect that to a disk file (I think thats an option.  If
not, go and mung the Basic skeleton file as appropriate).

(...More about Alpha Micro Corp deleted)

Quote:>    What sort of removable media does it have (i.e. floppy, tape)?

They're backing up on VCR tapes.  I don't think they have anything
else removable, but I can find out.

Quote:>One technique I've used many times is to hook up a PC in place of a serial
>printer (or a parallel printer -- use a serial/parallel converter) and "print"
>reports to PC which than captures them to disk. You have to write a little
>conversion program to throw a way the headers, footers etc. It's a little
>bit of a "Rube Goldberg" but sometimes its the only way to go.

I'll keep this in mind.  Could be necessary, thanks

>: I have a friend working for a Non-Profit organization in Kalamazoo who
>: has been assigned the daunting task of migrating from an Alpha Micro
>: computer to something a bit more current.  I've been advised that this
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Novell network, using 486 PCs.  They haven't quite worked out the
software yet.

Quote:>Such as?

>: the Alpha Micro?  We'll settle for tab delimited ASCII.
>How much do you want to pay.  There are services that will take a Pick T-DUMP
>and turn it into anything you wish.

At this point, I'm just researching alternatives.  I'll let them
hassle over how much to pay.  Could you point me at one of these
services?

Again, Thanks for all your help.
--

Post by Glenn Herbe » Sat, 26 Feb 1994 00:39:21

>I have a friend working for a Non-Profit organization in Kalamazoo who
>has been assigned the daunting task of migrating from an Alpha Micro
>computer to something a bit more current.  I've been advised that this
>is a good place to ask.  The question is, how do you get the data off
>the Alpha Micro?  We'll settle for tab delimited ASCII.

>Any help appreciated.
>--

If you can only get your data set into some sort of tab delimited ASCII, then
there is a utility within uniVerse (if you decide to go that route) that will
load data in a tab delimited format (details left out intentionally) into a
uniVerse file.  While not the preferred method (usually account saves), it
can be done.  Without knowing more about the A.M. (such as if there is any
removable media) its a guess.

-Glenn

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=We.Step.Out.Of.The.Forest.And.Into.The.Trees*=*=*=*=*=*=
= Glenn M. Herbert         | Vmark Software, Inc.   | Tel: 508-879-3311 =
= Continuing Engineer      | 30 Speen Street        | Fax: 508-879-3332 =

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=In.The.Spirit.Of.Things=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Post by Carri » Sun, 27 Feb 1994 23:03:15

: I have a friend working for a Non-Profit organization in Kalamazoo who
: has been assigned the daunting task of migrating from an Alpha Micro
: computer to something a bit more current.  I've been advised that this
: is a good place to ask.  The question is, how do you get the data off
: the Alpha Micro?  We'll settle for tab delimited ASCII.

If you do a SAVE (file save) that will create a delimited ascii tape but you
would have to pay attention to the order the system puts it on the tape and
it would also have the programs and dictionaries (which are useless if you are
not going to another pick system).

A few years ago I was working for a software firm and they used T-DUMPs to save
the data to tape.  Any pick machine was able to read it with a T-READ and
non-pick could read it as an ASCII delimited tape with fixed block size.

What type of system are they moving to?

CJ

1. Any help on Alpha Micro (amos) to fox ??

Hello,

I'm trying to convert our data files from an unknown (to us) format to fox.
The system we're on now is an alpha micro 1200 (mini).  I have thus far
been able to program (in alpha basic) a .dat file routine that converts
the .dat file to a sdf format so I can kermit the resulting txt file over
to my pc and then 'append from' to my table I have set up.  Here's where
the problem starts:
        1) I have 3 different screens:
           a. Offense screen
           b. Property screen (stolen or damaged in offense).
           c. Suspect/Witness/Arrestee screen.

        2) Each of the above constitute a seperate .dat (table/dbf) file
on the current system.

        3) Unfortunately (very) there is _NO_ common field in each .dat field.
        4) I don't know enough about basic random access file structure
to even GUESS how these are indexed togather to form 1 record under the
amos operating system.
        5) The whole deal was programmed by our vendor, and I hate to ask
him because he seems reluctant to give specifics 'cause his whole 'data
access' program is proprietary.  In addition, we're not moving from him
immediately, and this project is more for my education so that I can
demonstrate that the move CAN be done w/out relying on the vendor any longer.

Thanks in advance for any help on figuring out the indexing scheme and
thanks to anyone for help on this alpha micro nightmare.

'nuff said

p.s.  Mighty convienent he provided no means for data export.  Lock in
sucker.

2. Paradox to ISIS/Base conversion?

3. Y2K Problems on Alpha Micro 960/990 Systems Systems

4. Line Feed vs Carriage Return

5. RED for Alpha Micro Systems

6. OCIRowid * to char *

7. Alpha Micro, Amus, ISAM questions

8. Working with big number of members in one dimention

9. Help! Alpha Four/Alpha Five

10. Migrate from SQL7 on Alpha to SQL2K on Intel

11. Script Logins including password to migrate Alpha to I386

12. Migrating from SQL 6.5 on Alpha to Intel

13. migrate alpha 6.5 db's to intel platform