Pick Snippets

Post by NISANIGE » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:00:07

Have just set up a new web site with some Pick code snippets if anyones
interested. The site is found at www.nineelms.com.

Pick Snippets

Post by Craig Tai » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:33:13

Good to see you have a web site but I highly recommend many grammatical
fixes are required to make it look the slightest bit professional. Also if
you are portraying that you design web sites I suggest you improve the
quality and navigation of your own if you wish to sell this as part of your
business.

If you need assistance in this area I am available to help.

Craig

> Have just set up a new web site with some Pick code snippets if anyones
> interested. The site is found at www.nineelms.com.

Pick Snippets

Post by germ » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 04:11:01

i don't see why you say this - the site seems to look and read well ( IMHO )
.

> Good to see you have a web site but I highly recommend many grammatical
> fixes are required to make it look the slightest bit professional. Also if
> you are portraying that you design web sites I suggest you improve the
> quality and navigation of your own if you wish to sell this as part of
your
> business.

> If you need assistance in this area I am available to help.

> Craig

> > Have just set up a new web site with some Pick code snippets if anyones
> > interested. The site is found at www.nineelms.com.

Pick Snippets

Post by Luke Webbe » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:28:32

I probably shouldn't buy into this, but...

1. The way I see it, the navigation links should be either across the top or
down the left. The way it is, it's hard to see what's a link and what isn't,
because the layout is totally different from most other pages.

2. The names of the links are rather odd. Instead of "Products", "Services",
"Support", "About us"and "Links" we have "Pick", hich I first thought must
be a link to Pick Systems and "Websites", which I first assumed was
equivalent to "Links". "Contact us" is the only fairly normal link.

3. Comic Sans might be OK for kids' projects, but it doesn't look all that
professional on a business Web page.

4. That cute little trick with the bottom marquee is a total waste of time
and only serves as a distraction. The same for the CreditRoll applet.

5. For no particularly good reason, the thing is laid out in frames, yet it
doesn't optimise the frame usage by keeping the top banner and loading
linked pages into the main frame. It just loads the whole thing up on each
link.

6. The Web Ring thing is in the wrong place. It should be 'way down the
bottom. As it stands, the most obvious link on the page takes you AWAY from
the site.

7. Frequent references are made to Pick as an "Operating system" (casing as
shown).

8. I especially like the following quote...

    "Do you want your own website set up, just a one or two page presence or
a professional site."

Quite apart from the missing question mark, isn't that a fair description of
the Nine Elms site itself?

I guess it just goes to show that learning to use Front Page doesn't
automatically qualify you as a website designer.

Sorry to labour the point, but as Craig pointed out, this fellow is setting
himself up as a professional Web designer. Even a budget designer should
have better skills than this. Just please everybody remember that I wasn't
the one that started the criticism this time! <g>

Luke

--
REMOVES FOOT FROM MOUTH - found the snippets, sorry sorry sorry.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Pick Snippets

Post by Luke Webbe » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:59:28

Which all adds fuel to Craigs comments and mine about the Web page design.
<g>

Luke

> > > Have just set up a new web site with some Pick code snippets if
> > anyones
> > > interested. The site is found at www.nineelms.com.

> > --
> > No snippets on-line, but a mailing address.  A sales tease, in fact.
> > Following the Swindon Web link I found a rave about double-glazing,
> > which IIRC has a less than wonderful sales reputation in Britain.  Not
> > that I'm suggesting anything, you understand.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> --
> REMOVES FOOT FROM MOUTH - found the snippets, sorry sorry sorry.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Pick Snippets

Post by Goss,Stev » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:21:43

                So far, every time I try it from work, I get an access
violation screen.  I checked with the security people and they said:
The site is being virtually hosted. Virtual hosting is when a hosting
company will put several sites on the same IP address (numbered address
behind all sites). We will delete the IP from our library and you should
be
able to access the site in 24 hours after you have updated and cleared
your
cache or history on your Internet browser. I'm sorry for the
inconvenience.
                Now, why would the IP address already be in their
library?  Guilt by association?
                One other possibility is inadvertent juxtapositions of
letters, like when I happened to end a sentence with the word flash, and
start the next sentence with It's.

                > Which all adds fuel to Craigs comments and mine about
the Web page design.
                > <g>
                >
                > Luke

                > > > In article

                > > > anyones
www.nineelms.com.

                > > > --
                > > > No snippets on-line, but a mailing address.  A
sales tease, in fact.
                > > > Following the Swindon Web link I found a rave
about double-glazing,
                > > > which IIRC has a less than wonderful sales
reputation in Britain.  Not
                > > > that I'm suggesting anything, you understand.
                > > >
                > > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
                > > > Before you buy.
                > > >
                > >
                > > REMOVES FOOT FROM MOUTH - found the snippets, sorry
sorry sorry.

Pick Snippets

Post by germ » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:39:13

not really - just shows how quick people who 'know it all' are to be
critical of someone else's efforts.
anything more than a cursory glance would have lead to the snippets with no
probs.

> Which all adds fuel to Craigs comments and mine about the Web page design.
> <g>

> Luke

> > > anyones

> > > --
> > > No snippets on-line, but a mailing address.  A sales tease, in fact.
> > > Following the Swindon Web link I found a rave about double-glazing,
> > > which IIRC has a less than wonderful sales reputation in Britain.  Not
> > > that I'm suggesting anything, you understand.

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

> > --
> > REMOVES FOOT FROM MOUTH - found the snippets, sorry sorry sorry.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Pick Snippets

Post by Craig Tai » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:40:54

Hey I'm not trying to bag the guy, you may notice I started out with a
positive remark and went on giving some constructive criticism, One cannot
improve themselves without the action of negative feedback.

It does pick fans no favour to have sites that look like secondary school
work. A touch of class, professional look along with some intelligent DB
stuff would go along way for them and pick people alike.

If one can't handle constructive criticism I would find hard to believe they
could be a programmer cause we all know how users can be after you've spent
months inside your terminal creating software for them. They will
immediately pickup problems and want things fixed and if you react well then
this is good customer service is all about.

anyway I'm babbling again so I better go.

Craig

Quote:> not really - just shows how quick people who 'know it all' are to be
> critical of someone else's efforts.
> anything more than a cursory glance would have lead to the snippets with
no
> probs.

Pick Snippets

Post by NISANIGE » Mon, 18 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I certainly opened up a can of worms, all I wanted to do was put some code on
the Internet and get a site up.

OK, I take mind of your comments, the website is different granted, yes it is
done with Frontpage but I had to get a site up quick and learn HTML as I went.
I could of used predefined formats but I didn't. We all have our preferences
about the tools used to create web pages hence Front Page, granted earlier
versions were pretty naf but Frontpage 2000 has been one of the recommended
products.

My main business is Pick related but this is becoming a very difficult market
hence I am looking at Websites and I admit I have some experience to pick up. I
could have cloned someone elses but I tried it from scratch, you learn from
experience. I will be looking at a redesign re the buttons and positioning etc
but I thought it was a good idea to put out the 'Snippets' to the multivalue
community.

I have had several problems with the hosting of the cgi scripts and am in
contact with my ISP to rectify the problem. Luke was pretty scathing but others
have been complimentry, which way do you go?

thanks for the comments

Pick Snippets

Post by Ed » Mon, 18 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I find it difficult to trust one's ability to provide relevant infomation in
a professional way when it seems beyond his ability to write two sentences
without running them together, misusing syntax, and ignoring commonly
accepted usage conventions.

Ed

Quote:> I certainly opened up a can of worms, all I wanted to do was put some code
on
> the Internet and get a site up.

> OK, I take mind of your comments, the website is different granted, yes it
is
> done with Frontpage but I had to get a site up quick and learn HTML as I
went.
> I could of used predefined formats but I didn't. We all have our
preferences
> about the tools used to create web pages hence Front Page, granted earlier
> versions were pretty naf but Frontpage 2000 has been one of the
recommended
> products.

> My main business is Pick related but this is becoming a very difficult
market
> hence I am looking at Websites and I admit I have some experience to pick
up. I
> could have cloned someone elses but I tried it from scratch, you learn
from
> experience. I will be looking at a redesign re the buttons and positioning
etc
> but I thought it was a good idea to put out the 'Snippets' to the
multivalue
> community.

> I have had several problems with the hosting of the cgi scripts and am in
> contact with my ISP to rectify the problem. Luke was pretty scathing but
others
> have been complimentry, which way do you go?

> thanks for the comments

Pick Snippets

Post by Luke Webbe » Mon, 18 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I just wanted to mention that I wouldn't have posted at all except that
you're advertising your, um, professional website design services on that
page. In very real terms, that's like applying for a programming contract
after building your first "Hello World" app using a 4GL. Or like advertising
your services as a portrait artist after our first fingerpainting.

Admittedly you're far from the first person to do this, and it's probably
harmless self-delusion unless somebody is fool enough to take you up on it.
Nevertheless, I firmly believe that it's a trend that should be discouraged
at every turn. I've done a lot more HTML than you, but I still don't
advertise myself as a Web designer. A Web *programmer*, yes, but I'm too
graphically challenged to push the boat out that far.

Luke

Quote:> I certainly opened up a can of worms, all I wanted to do was put some code
on
> the Internet and get a site up.

> OK, I take mind of your comments, the website is different granted, yes it
is
> done with Frontpage but I had to get a site up quick and learn HTML as I
went.
> I could of used predefined formats but I didn't. We all have our
preferences
> about the tools used to create web pages hence Front Page, granted earlier
> versions were pretty naf but Frontpage 2000 has been one of the
recommended
> products.

> My main business is Pick related but this is becoming a very difficult
market
> hence I am looking at Websites and I admit I have some experience to pick
up. I
> could have cloned someone elses but I tried it from scratch, you learn
from
> experience. I will be looking at a redesign re the buttons and positioning
etc
> but I thought it was a good idea to put out the 'Snippets' to the
multivalue
> community.

> I have had several problems with the hosting of the cgi scripts and am in
> contact with my ISP to rectify the problem. Luke was pretty scathing but
others
> have been complimentry, which way do you go?

> thanks for the comments

Pick Snippets

Post by Luke Webbe » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi Craig.

I haven't got long this morning, but I got the impression you were looking
for constructive comment on your unfinished site? Overall it's pretty good,
but there are one or two things I'd change.

1. There's no Home tab.

2. The tabs are a bit too small and also too dark. A rollover effect might
help the shading, but the size is still a problem.

3. You have a background graphic on the home page but not in the others.
Personally I prefer it without.

4. The rollover effect on your samples page is cute, but maybe a little
distracting. I would have expected the images to link me to the sites in
question, maybe in a new window.

Niggles really. Graphically quite pleasing.

Luke

> [...]

we
> want to do pick systems some favours and try to build market awareness and
> show off the true potential of the underlying beast the web is a good
place
> to do this.

> To show what I think is a big feature of pick is putting a DB with about
> 70,000 records in it complete with a search engine with some drill downs
> show the speed at which pick can return results.

> I think to help the pick world there should be a powered by pick Logo on
the
> site to.

> So what im trying to say is put some planning into what you want to
achieve
> keeping in mind the audience you want to draw whilst being sure you can
> achieve what you promote and/or sell.

> If you can't do it yourself then pay someone who can to
>    ELSE
>      don't do it at all
>        ELSE
>           you will paint a bad picture of your company & professionals
alike
>           END
>     END

> RETURN

> > I certainly opened up a can of worms, all I wanted to do was put some
code
> on
> > the Internet and get a site up.

> > OK, I take mind of your comments, the website is different granted, yes
it
> is
> > done with Frontpage but I had to get a site up quick and learn HTML as I
> went.
> > I could of used predefined formats but I didn't. We all have our
> preferences
> > about the tools used to create web pages hence Front Page, granted
earlier
> > versions were pretty naf but Frontpage 2000 has been one of the
> recommended
> > products.

> > My main business is Pick related but this is becoming a very difficult
> market
> > hence I am looking at Websites and I admit I have some experience to
pick
> up. I
> > could have cloned someone elses but I tried it from scratch, you learn
> from
> > experience. I will be looking at a redesign re the buttons and
positioning
> etc
> > but I thought it was a good idea to put out the 'Snippets' to the
> multivalue
> > community.

> > I have had several problems with the hosting of the cgi scripts and am
in
> > contact with my ISP to rectify the problem. Luke was pretty scathing but
> others
> > have been complimentry, which way do you go?

Pick Snippets

Post by Craig Tai » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 03:02:18

[...]

70,000 records in it complete with a search engine with some drill downs to
show the speed at which pick can return results.

I think to help the pick world there should be a powered by pick Logo on the
site to.

So what im trying to say is put some planning into what you want to achieve
keeping in mind the audience you want to draw whilst being sure you can
achieve what you promote and/or sell.

If you can't do it yourself then pay someone who can to
   ELSE
     don't do it at all
       ELSE
          you will paint a bad picture of your company & professionals alike
          END
    END

RETURN

Quote:> I certainly opened up a can of worms, all I wanted to do was put some code
on
> the Internet and get a site up.

> OK, I take mind of your comments, the website is different granted, yes it
is
> done with Frontpage but I had to get a site up quick and learn HTML as I
went.
> I could of used predefined formats but I didn't. We all have our
preferences
> about the tools used to create web pages hence Front Page, granted earlier
> versions were pretty naf but Frontpage 2000 has been one of the
recommended
> products.

> My main business is Pick related but this is becoming a very difficult
market
> hence I am looking at Websites and I admit I have some experience to pick
up. I
> could have cloned someone elses but I tried it from scratch, you learn
from
> experience. I will be looking at a redesign re the buttons and positioning
etc
> but I thought it was a good idea to put out the 'Snippets' to the
multivalue
> community.

> I have had several problems with the hosting of the cgi scripts and am in
> contact with my ISP to rectify the problem. Luke was pretty scathing but
others
> have been complimentry, which way do you go?

> thanks for the comments

Pick Snippets

Post by Steve Hamli » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Only comment is that, although nineelms is obviously a first try using
a dodgy tool (Frontpage - what's wrong with Notepad?) at least I can
see it at the end of a 40 hour day - Craig's site may be more polished
in execution but dark green on black doesn't exactly encourage further
reading - a case of overdesign akin to Flash and Java  - unless it adds
significantly to the message, the blue pencil is probably in order.

I think the fun thing here is that as a community we're starting to
catch on to the virtual (read R-E-A-L) world in a big way. We now have
tools the equal of any other environment and the inclination to try new
stuff - this has to be good.

Steve Hamlin
www.searchandmatch.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Transact snippet for deleting duplicate records?

Does anyone have a generic sql statement I can use as a
template that will successfully delete duplicate records
from a table but LEAVE one of those records as
the "original"?  For example, on a batch load of data into
a holding table I find the following rows:

Field01   Field02   Field03
00000123  06/01/03  12/31/04
00000123  06/01/03  12/31/04
00000123  06/01/03  12/31/04

Although there are more fields associated with the data
row, the three fields used in the example above are what
indicates the records to be duplicates. I'd like to remove
rows 2 and 3 but leave row 1. Any suggestions are truly
appreciated.

2. WHEN ADOMD.NET is due

3. any backup restore code snippet?

4. antiques

5. Is this T-SQL snippet SQL-92 compliant ?

6. Passing an alias to a DLL?

7. Snippet of code replace colon with space

8. Object variable not set in VB4.0 16bit and Access 2.0

9. Equivalent of this Oracle snippet?

10. Code Snippet

11. Code snippet of the problem

12. Figured out how to get values from SQL RPC [code snippet]

13. Announce: Hundreds of free java source code snippets