DBF Compatibility (Foxpro 2.0 To Foxpro 2.5)

Post by Bob Rupl » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> We have a client who is using an application called SBT for his accounts
> receivable and POS transactions.  The source code is written in Foxpro 2.0
> and the client wants some minor changes made to it.  We have been able to
> obtain a copy of Foxpro 2.5 and I am curious about compatibility issues.
> Apparently, I need to update the old dbf's to the newer version.

That's false.  You don't need to update the DBF's.  The 2.0 DBF's are
identical to the 2.5 DBF's.  Compatibility is only an issue with some
source code, like the screens and report forms (see below).

You indicate that "The source code is written in Foxpro 2.0 and the
client wants some minor changes made to it."

Do you have FoxPro 2.0 or is the current system running under runtime
(i.e. exe)?

You can move to 2.5 and it should be no problem, just re-compile and go.

If you take this route make sure you have a backup of all source code,
especially all screens and reports because when modifying these FoxPro
asks for you permission to convert them, and if you say yes they are
converted and there's no going back.

--
Bob Ruple
e mail: bruple [at] ix netcom com

Post by Rob Tanne » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

        We have a client who is using an application called SBT for his accounts
receivable and POS transactions.  The source code is written in Foxpro 2.0
and the client wants some minor changes made to it.  We have been able to
obtain a copy of Foxpro 2.5 and I am curious about compatibility issues.
Apparently, I need to update the old dbf's to the newer version.  What
version(s) of dbase does Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.5 require/accept?  Is
there a simple way to upgrade the older dbf's such as a utility?  Can I do
this using the Borland Database Engine?  Do I have to create new/fresh
tables for this ( I suspect this is unlikely )?
        A big thank you in advance to any and all who can provide assistance.
--
Rob Tanner B.E.,B.Sc.
Design Engineer

Post by Rob Tanne » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Apparently, I need to update the old dbf's to the newer version.

> That's false.  You don't need to update the DBF's.  The 2.0 DBF's are
> identical to the 2.5 DBF's.  Compatibility is only an issue with some
> source code, like the screens and report forms (see below).

        The reason I thought this was because when trying to run the client's

Post by Bill H. McMullen Sr » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>         We have a client who is using an application called SBT for his accounts
> receivable and POS transactions.  The source code is written in Foxpro 2.0
> and the client wants some minor changes made to it.  We have been able to
> obtain a copy of Foxpro 2.5 and I am curious about compatibility issues.
> Apparently, I need to update the old dbf's to the newer version.  What
> version(s) of dbase does Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.5 require/accept?  Is
> there a simple way to upgrade the older dbf's such as a utility?  Can I do
> this using the Borland Database Engine?  Do I have to create new/fresh
> tables for this ( I suspect this is unlikely )?
>         A big thank you in advance to any and all who can provide assistance.
> --
> Rob Tanner B.E.,B.Sc.
> Design Engineer
> WestBau Technologies, Inc.

Rob,
Not having experience with Foxpro, I am going out on a limb here, but
improved programming language functions of 2.5 over 2.0 surely would not
obsolete your data files.  The .dbf format is commonly used by everybody
(except mainframes), and has not changed (much) since dBIII+.
Further, your copy of Foxpro provides you the capability to DO TO the
dbf's in the same way the BDE would provide that capability.
Finally, if 2.5 is as "happy" with the standard dbf's as was 2.0, then
perhaps the increase functionality being asked for by the client does
raise the issue of 2.0 vs 2.5 compatibility, and you are right to be
wary.  Someone familiar with Foxpro will need to address that issue.
--

Item: Did you ever notice how your junk is "Stuff",
       and other people's stuff is "Junk"?

DBF Compatibility (Foxpro 2.0 To Foxpro 2.5)

Post by Craig Berntso » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

There will be a problem if any of the index tags have a FOR .NOT.
DELETED(). This behaved differently under 2.0 than 2.5, but it should only
requre a reindex to fix.
--
Craig Berntson
Salt Lake City Fox User Group

Post by C. Dexter Southerlan » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

--------------DE4235F881682A24F58C209A

> >         We have a client who is using an application called SBT
> for his accounts
> > receivable and POS transactions.  The source code is written in
> Foxpro 2.0
> > and the client wants some minor changes made to it.  We have been
> able to
> > obtain a copy of Foxpro 2.5 and I am curious about compatibility
> issues.
> > Apparently, I need to update the old dbf's to the newer version.
> What
> > version(s) of dbase does Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.5
> require/accept?  Is
> > there a simple way to upgrade the older dbf's such as a utility?
> Can I do
> > this using the Borland Database Engine?  Do I have to create
> new/fresh
> > tables for this ( I suspect this is unlikely )?
> >         A big thank you in advance to any and all who can provide
> assistance.
> > --
> > Rob Tanner B.E.,B.Sc.
> > Design Engineer
> > WestBau Technologies, Inc.

> Rob,
> Not having experience with Foxpro, I am going out on a limb here,
> but
> improved programming language functions of 2.5 over 2.0 surely would
> not
> obsolete your data files.  The .dbf format is commonly used by
> everybody
> (except mainframes), and has not changed (much) since dBIII+.
> Further, your copy of Foxpro provides you the capability to DO TO
> the
> dbf's in the same way the BDE would provide that capability.
> Finally, if 2.5 is as "happy" with the standard dbf's as was 2.0,
> then
> perhaps the increase functionality being asked for by the client
> does
> raise the issue of 2.0 vs 2.5 compatibility, and you are right to be

> wary.  Someone familiar with Foxpro will need to address that issue.

> --

> Item: Did you ever notice how your junk is "Stuff",
>        and other people's stuff is "Junk"?
>       Credit to George Carlin, comedian.

 Rob,
The version of SBT you are using is probably Series 6 or early Series 7.
The DBF's are compatible with all versions of  Foxbase/Foxpro/Dbase III+
& UP. The indexes are probably CDX's or IDX's renamed as NDX's. Would
have to be recreated. Series 7 was the last version to support dBASE,
dBASE IV 1.5 (DOS). I have modified it to run with  dBASE IV 2.0 (DOS).
A visual product  may be very unstable without modification. SBT will
give you fits with of dbase/foxpro version. This can be changed in one
or all three of the following programs. SBT6.prg/SBT7.prg, sysstr.prg ,
and  sysst1.prg. last two names may be a little off. Search for VERSION.

Hope this helps Dexter

* C. Dexter Southerland  CNE-3                           *

* Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience. *
* Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)                    *

--------------DE4235F881682A24F58C209A

<HTML><BODY>

<BR><I>&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We have a client who
is using an application called SBT for his accounts</I>
<BR><I>&gt; receivable and POS transactions.&nbsp; The source code is written
in Foxpro 2.0</I>
<BR><I>&gt; and the client wants some minor changes made to it.&nbsp; We have
been able to</I>
<BR><I>&gt; obtain a copy of Foxpro 2.5 and I am curious about compatibility issues.</I>
<BR><I>&gt; Apparently, I need to update the old dbf's to the newer version.&nbsp;
What</I>
<BR><I>&gt; version(s) of dbase does Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.5 require/accept?&nbsp;
Is</I>
<BR><I>&gt; there a simple way to upgrade the older dbf's such as a utility?&nbsp;
Can I do</I>
<BR><I>&gt; this using the Borland Database Engine?&nbsp; Do I have to create
new/fresh</I>
<BR><I>&gt; tables for this ( I suspect this is unlikely )?</I>
<BR><I>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A big thank you in
advance to any and all who can provide assistance.</I>
<BR><I>&gt; --</I>
<BR><I>&gt; Rob Tanner B.E.,B.Sc.</I>
<BR><I>&gt; Design Engineer</I>
<BR><I>&gt; WestBau Technologies, Inc.</I>
<BR>
<BR>Rob,
<BR>Not having experience with Foxpro, I am going out on a limb here, but
<BR>improved programming language functions of 2.5 over 2.0 surely would not
<BR>obsolete your data files.&nbsp; The .dbf format is commonly used by everybody
<BR>(except mainframes), and has not changed (much) since dBIII+.
<BR>Further, your copy of Foxpro provides you the capability to DO TO the
<BR>dbf's in the same way the BDE would provide that capability.
<BR>Finally, if 2.5 is as "happy" with the standard dbf's as was 2.0, then
<BR>perhaps the increase functionality being asked for by the client does
<BR>raise the issue of 2.0 vs 2.5 compatibility, and you are right to be
<BR>wary.&nbsp; Someone familiar with Foxpro will need to address that issue.
<BR>--
<BR>

<BR>Item: Did you ever notice how your junk is "Stuff",
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and other people's stuff is "Junk"?
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Credit to George Carlin, comedian.
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;Rob,
<BR>The version of SBT you are using is probably Series 6 or early Series 7.
The DBF's are compatible with all versions of&nbsp; Foxbase/Foxpro/Dbase
III+ &amp; UP. The indexes are probably CDX's or IDX's renamed as NDX's.
Would have to be recreated. Series 7 was the last version to support dBASE,
dBASE IV 1.5 (DOS). I have modified it to run with&nbsp; dBASE IV 2.0 (DOS).&nbsp;
A visual product&nbsp; may be very unstable without modification. SBT will
give you fits with of dbase/foxpro version. This can be changed in one
or all three of the following programs. SBT6.prg/SBT7.prg, sysstr.prg ,
and&nbsp; sysst1.prg. last two names may be a little off. Search for VERSION.
<BR>
<BR>Hope this helps Dexter
<BR>
<BR>--
<BR>**********************************************************
<BR>* C. Dexter Southerland&nbsp; CNE-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
*
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
*
<BR>* Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience. *
<BR>* Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
*
<BR>**********************************************************

</BODY>
</HTML>

Post by Bill H. McMullen Sr » Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>      > Rob Tanner B.E.,B.Sc.
>      > Design Engineer
>      > WestBau Technologies, Inc.

>      --

>      Item: Did you ever notice how your junk is "Stuff",
>             and other people's stuff is "Junk"?
>            Credit to George Carlin, comedian.

>  Rob,
> The version of SBT you are using is probably Series 6 or early Series
> 7. The DBF's are compatible with all versions of  Foxbase/Foxpro/Dbase
> III+ & UP. The indexes are probably CDX's or IDX's renamed as NDX's.
> Would have to be recreated. Series 7 was the last version to support
> dBASE, dBASE IV 1.5 (DOS). I have modified it to run with  dBASE IV
> 2.0 (DOS).  A visual product  may be very unstable without
> modification. SBT will give you fits with of dbase/foxpro version.
> This can be changed in one or all three of the following programs.
> SBT6.prg/SBT7.prg, sysstr.prg , and  sysst1.prg. last two names may be
> a little off. Search for VERSION.

> Hope this helps Dexter

> --
> * C. Dexter Southerland  CNE-3                           *

> * Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience. *
> * Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)                    *

Dexter, a really good and clear addressing of the root issue, there is
no substitute for experience (with SBT in this case).  But should you
not have replied directly to Rob Tanner instead of tagging your response
onto my meger ramblings?
--

Item: All things commeth to he who waiteth,
      if he worketh like hell while he waiteth!

DBF Compatibility (Foxpro 2.0 To Foxpro 2.5)

Post by Michael D. Lon » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Rob,

I have a couple of clients still running SBT Series 6, which was the
last version shipped for FoxPro 2.0. The Series 7 was made available
with FoxPro 2.5 and above.

As long as you have ALL of the source code, there will be no problems
that cannot be fixed by a COMPLETE recompile of all source files and
a reindex (which can be performed from within SBT).

Do not look to SBT for support, as this version has been out of support
for a couple of years now. They will, however, be more than happy to
help you out with an upgrade. $$$

Michael D. Long

------------------------------------

Quote:>    We have a client who is using an application called SBT for his accounts
> receivable and POS transactions.  The source code is written in Foxpro
2.0
> and the client wants some minor changes made to it.  We have been able to
> obtain a copy of Foxpro 2.5 and I am curious about compatibility issues.
> Apparently, I need to update the old dbf's to the newer version.  What
> version(s) of dbase does Foxpro 2.0 and Foxpro 2.5 require/accept?  Is
> there a simple way to upgrade the older dbf's such as a utility?  Can I
do
> this using the Borland Database Engine?  Do I have to create new/fresh
> tables for this ( I suspect this is unlikely )?
>    A big thank you in advance to any and all who can provide assistance.
> --
> Rob Tanner B.E.,B.Sc.
> Design Engineer
> WestBau Technologies, Inc.

1. Foxpro 2.5 / Visual Foxpro compatibility

No.

Call Microsoft at 800-360-7561 and order FoxPro 2.6 DOS Professional.
The part number is 2151095V260.  The Professional Edition contains the
distribution kit which you need to create a "compiled, runtime version."

BTW, The part number for FoxPro 2.6 for Windows Professional is
2151051V260.

Upgrades to 2.6 are no longer available.

--
Bob Ruple
http://www.ix.netcom.com/~bruple

2. fglschema problem

3. FoxPro 2.0 vs FoxPro 2.5 differences?

4. VFP 3.0 - Need help with SetFocus

5. !!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!! FoxPro 2.5 .DBF/.CDX Questions

6. REPOST - Problem Copying a Table

7. Problem Linking FoxPro 2.5 .dbf's in Access97

8. HP server dimensioning

9. How to access / update Foxpro 2.5 dbf by ADO

10. WTB: Foxbase+, FoxPro 1.0 for Win, FoxPro 2.0 for DOS, FoxPro 2.6 DOS/Win

11. Foxpro 2.5 Dos and Foxpro 2.6 Windows

12. FoxPro Mac FoxPro 2.5 & JetEngine

13. FoxPro 2.0 vs. 2.5 (WIN/DOS)