ADO, ODBC and Win2K

ADO, ODBC and Win2K

Post by Craig Hyn » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 23:15:32



Hi All,

We are connecting to Paradox tables via ADO/ODBC and the Microsoft supplied
Paradox driver. Everything was working fine until the release of Windows
2000 SP2 and Jet SP5 for NT.

After applying these updates on W2K or NT we encountered first a
"Catastrophic failure" error in ODBC which we have since managed to resolve.
However now when trying to connect, the following error is encountered:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Paradox Driver] Invalid setting in Excel key of the

Engines section of the Windows Registry. "

The connection is being processed in the global.asa file of an ASP
application.

At this point in our code we are initialising the Paradox Driver, at no
point are we dealing with an Excel Object. There appears to be no obvious
problems in the Engines section of the registry for Excel or any other
driver. Information on MSDN has not proved helpful.

We are using ADO version: 2.6 as installed by Win2K SP2

Does anyone know why applying either of these updates would result in the
above mentioned error?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

 
 
 

ADO, ODBC and Win2K

Post by Anita J. Pit » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 05:08:50


Hello,
I am assuming a few things because I cannot tell from your email.  Based on
those assumptions I have some additional questions.  First, it looks like
you have at least two machines, one running Windows 2000 SP2, the other
running Windows NT -- yes or no? Do you have a service pack on the NT
machine, if so which one?  It also looks like you applied Jet SP5 to both a
Windows 2000 SP2 machine and an NT machine yes or no?  You say that you are
using ADO 2.6 installed by Windows 2000 SP2.  Some clarification is needed
here also because MDAC 2.52.6019.2 (or MDAC 2.5 SP2) is installed with
Windows 2000 SP2.  What version of MDAC is on the Windows 2000 SP2 machine?
   What version of MDAC is currently on the NT machine? Were either of
these boxes clean machines at the time in which Jet SP5 was installed?  
Thanks in advance for the answers.

Anita Pitre
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.

 
 
 

ADO, ODBC and Win2K

Post by Craig Hyn » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:59:11


Hi Anita, thanks for the reply,

We are running a W2K server just now for testing purposes. The W2K server
encounters this error after applying SP2. The error can also be replicated
on WinNT after applying JetSP5, we have noted that JetSP5 is a component of
the W2K SP2 and assume that this is more than a coincidence. As we are only
testing W2K at the moment though I think we should concentrate on this.

Using the latest MDAC Component Checker from microsoft.com/data we were able
to correctly identify the version installed with Win2K SP2 - 2.52.6019.2 as
you had specified.

The version of MDAC that is currently on the machine is 2.7 - we have
upgraded incrementally from 2.5 SP2 to 2.6, 2.6 SP1 and 2.7 receiving the
same errors:

1. Catastrophic Failure - resolved by giving account used for anonymous
access security privileges to the ODBC section of the registry. (Should this
be necessary?)

2. Invalid setting in Excel key of the Engines section of the Windows
Registry - Which we cannot overcome.

The W2K machine was clean when SP2 was installed.

Hope you can help us further.



Quote:> Hello,
> I am assuming a few things because I cannot tell from your email.  Based
on
> those assumptions I have some additional questions.  First, it looks like
> you have at least two machines, one running Windows 2000 SP2, the other
> running Windows NT -- yes or no? Do you have a service pack on the NT
> machine, if so which one?  It also looks like you applied Jet SP5 to both
a
> Windows 2000 SP2 machine and an NT machine yes or no?  You say that you
are
> using ADO 2.6 installed by Windows 2000 SP2.  Some clarification is needed
> here also because MDAC 2.52.6019.2 (or MDAC 2.5 SP2) is installed with
> Windows 2000 SP2.  What version of MDAC is on the Windows 2000 SP2
machine?
>    What version of MDAC is currently on the NT machine? Were either of
> these boxes clean machines at the time in which Jet SP5 was installed?
> Thanks in advance for the answers.

> Anita Pitre
> Microsoft Corporation

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
> Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
> Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
> http://www.microsoft.com/security.

 
 
 

1. ADO, ODBC and Win2K

Hi All,

We have been having some strange problems in our ASP application with
ADO/ODBC since applying Windows 2000 SP2.

After applying this update, we encountered first a "Catastrophic failure"
error in ODBC which we have since managed to resolve (by giving account used
for anonymous access security privileges to the ODBC section of the
registry. Should this be necessary?). However now when trying to connect,
the following error is encountered:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Paradox Driver] Invalid setting in Excel key of the Engines
section of the Windows Registry."

The connection is being processed in the global.asa file of the ASP
application.

At this point in our code we are initialising a connection to a Paradox
database using the default Microsoft Paradox ODBC Driver, at no point are we
dealing with an Excel Object. There appears to be no obvious problems in the
Engines section of the registry for Excel or any other driver.

A similar error can also be replicated on WinNT after applying JetSP5, we
have noted that JetSP5 is a component of the W2K SP2 and assume that this is
more than a coincidence. As we are only testing W2K at the moment though I
wanted to concentrate on this platform.

Using the latest MDAC Component Checker from microsoft.com/data we were able
to correctly identify the version installed with Win2K SP2 - 2.52.6019.2.

We have attempted upgrading ADO incrementally from 2.5 SP2 to 2.6, 2.6 SP1
and 2.7 continuing to receive the same errors:

The W2K machine was clean when SP2 was installed.

Can anyone help with this issue?

2. BCP with Timestamp Field

3. ADO, ODBC and Win2K SP2

4. US-VA-DBAS-NEWPORT NEWS, VA-NEAR VA. BEACH

5. Win2k/XP ODBC Components Vs Win98SE ODBC?

6. Q: What is the Binary field in a Pdox table used to

7. Replication between server1 w/Win2k-sp2 and server2 w/Win2k-sp3

8. Laid-off Oracle 8iDBA and DB2 specialist seek a position in Canada and US

9. Win2k install Vs NT4 to Win2k upgrade.

10. Win2K Pro / Win2K Server

11. Win2K Server vs. Win2k Pro speed difference

12. ASP/ADO, SQL7, NT/Win2k authentication

13. Different Ado Recordset State in Nt4 and Win2k!