DBMS for Windows AND Unix ?

Post by Thierry Eema » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Bonjour!

Imagine you had a project that runs SQL scripts both
locally (Windows) and remotely (Unix server).

You would want to allow your Windows users to
 - run local SQL scripts to extract tables from the SERVER
 - manipulate the extracted tables LOCALLY
 - run SQL scripts LOCALLY to process the extracted tables

You would also want your project to target an as wide as
possible audience of corporate financial administrators.

What DBMS and SQL flavour would you go for?  Ideally, only
one dbms that would fit on servers and PC's.

Merci!

--------------------------------
Thierry R Eeman
Analyst Programmer
University of Canberra

--------------------------------

DBMS for Windows AND Unix ?

Post by Sundial Service » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Bonjour!

> Imagine you had a project that runs SQL scripts both
> locally (Windows) and remotely (Unix server).

> You would want to allow your Windows users to
>  - run local SQL scripts to extract tables from the SERVER
>  - manipulate the extracted tables LOCALLY
>  - run SQL scripts LOCALLY to process the extracted tables

> You would also want your project to target an as wide as
> possible audience of corporate financial administrators.

> What DBMS and SQL flavour would you go for?  Ideally, only
> one dbms that would fit on servers and PC's.

The processing techniques that are appropriate on the client side and on
the server side are simply not the same; therefore you will wind up
using a combination of products.  But it is desirable when the client
and the server both have SQL functionality, are able to perform
so-called "heterogeneous queries" where both the client and the server
can participate, and so on.  That way both computers can be what they
are:  real computers.

The Microsoft Access product is particularly nice in this regard because
its Jet database-engine (which rumor has it may go away!) is SQL-savvy
and works well with ODBC or DAO to a client/server database.  You can
use the whole schlotszky, which is rather large, or you can simply use
its engine in conjunction with other products.

Books such as "Inside ODBC" and the reference manual for MS Transaction
Server 2.0, as well as "Client/Server Survival Guide," may provide you
with some useful insights.

1. Q:Client-server DBMS on Unix,Windows,Mac

I am looking for a multi platform client-server DBMS with
the following capabilities -
1.      the server should run on the Sun, Unix
2.      the client on MsWindows 3.x, Mac and Sun
3.      comes with C-programmable interface, preferably SQL also
Anyone knows of a DBMS or a combination of a few DBMS that can
satisfy these requirements? Was told that Oracle does the job but
runs pretty slow.

Pls reply to me. Will summarize if there is interest.
Loo, Chee Keong                         Date : 29 Oct 92

2. raw device in SCO

3. Looking for client/server DBMS for SCO Unix, Windows

4. change default dbspace while create database

5. MFC for UNIX, Windows for UNIX, ODBC for UNIX

6. Locating a record

7. NY-NEW YORK-212580--AIX-Solaris-C-C++-UNIX-Windows NT-Windows-SQLSERVER-ORACLE-I

8. A bug in SQLXML3.0 ? Attribute values not inserted from nested elements

9. 77814-KY-Georgetown-UNIX-ORACLE-Windows NT-Unix Help Desk Support

10. 17412-NC-RALEIGH/DURHAM-UNIX-C-C++-X-windows-ORACLE-Senior Unix/C, C++

11. 22715-GA-ATLANTA-UNIX-Windows NT-ORACLE-Quality Project Manager, Unix, NT, Oracle DDL, DLM

12. 17413-NC-RALEIGH/DURHAM-UNIX-C++-X-windows-ORACLE-Unix Developer