D3/NT VME space problems

Post by Alan Zho » Sat, 31 May 2003 04:48:46

ok! we had been using D3/NT 7.3.0 (SP1, SP2) for about a month.
we saw 2 big problems, 1) indexes 2) d3tcl.exe, now we got the third
one about VME spaces. (I had read some threads discussing this issues,
but mostly posted in the year 2000 about 7.0 version.)

here are something happened to our 100 user system:
1) we don't have any accounts defined in the VME.
2) VME space got eaten, and regains space too.
3) the decreasing rate of the space is way faster than the increasing.
4) reclaim-ovf command keeps giving me error 3 message.
5) after the VME space hits 0, the system complains and we have to
shutdown and apply the backup of the VME, which costs some
data/spooler lost.

here are the questions:
1) does reclaim-ovf work? can it solve this problem, or it's doing
something else? how to logon as line 0? how to get around the error 3?
what does u53 and u54 do in the dm,bp, reclaim-ovf and dm,bp,
start-reclaim-ovf? where are the documents for these user exits
subroutines?
2) besides the best-guessing reclaim-ovf and shutdown the system
frequently, what else can we do?
3) we already increased the VME space to 2GB, which is larger than
what we heard of the limit earlier (1.5GB). Is there any negative
effect to make it so big? what is the new limit now?
4) Are there any utility in D3 to monitor the VME space usage?
("where" is not enough i think...)
5) what other problems in D3?

thankx for all your comments, and we really want to know how many
companies are using D3/NT 7.3 and share the experience.

D3/NT VME space problems

Post by Mark Brow » Sat, 31 May 2003 08:16:19

User exits U53 and U54 are links to RCO.CMD and UX.OVF.TRUNC respectively.
One is merely a jump table to another series of routines based on the code
passed:

k    kill rco process
o    set options
r    resume
s    status
u    kill unconditionally
x    suspend
w   wrapup

The other plays some games with the safe table that are too complicated to
explain in this context.

--
-------------------------------
Mark Brown

Quote:> ok! we had been using D3/NT 7.3.0 (SP1, SP2) for about a month.
> we saw 2 big problems, 1) indexes 2) d3tcl.exe, now we got the third
> one about VME spaces. (I had read some threads discussing this issues,
> but mostly posted in the year 2000 about 7.0 version.)

> here are something happened to our 100 user system:
> 1) we don't have any accounts defined in the VME.
> 2) VME space got eaten, and regains space too.
> 3) the decreasing rate of the space is way faster than the increasing.
> 4) reclaim-ovf command keeps giving me error 3 message.
> 5) after the VME space hits 0, the system complains and we have to
> shutdown and apply the backup of the VME, which costs some
> data/spooler lost.

> here are the questions:
> 1) does reclaim-ovf work? can it solve this problem, or it's doing
> something else? how to logon as line 0? how to get around the error 3?
> what does u53 and u54 do in the dm,bp, reclaim-ovf and dm,bp,
> start-reclaim-ovf? where are the documents for these user exits
> subroutines?
> 2) besides the best-guessing reclaim-ovf and shutdown the system
> frequently, what else can we do?
> 3) we already increased the VME space to 2GB, which is larger than
> what we heard of the limit earlier (1.5GB). Is there any negative
> effect to make it so big? what is the new limit now?
> 4) Are there any utility in D3 to monitor the VME space usage?
> ("where" is not enough i think...)
> 5) what other problems in D3?

> thankx for all your comments, and we really want to know how many
> companies are using D3/NT 7.3 and share the experience.

D3/NT VME space problems

Post by skypirat » Sat, 31 May 2003 09:36:49

Alan,

can u explain more on yr 1 & 2 problems?

we have had another problem.. the flash basic shared memory...

when the system can't allocate the shared memory for the programs, the users
will drop to system de*...  waiting an answer/fix from Rainning data.

Quote:> ok! we had been using D3/NT 7.3.0 (SP1, SP2) for about a month.
> we saw 2 big problems, 1) indexes 2) d3tcl.exe, now we got the third
> one about VME spaces. (I had read some threads discussing this issues,
> but mostly posted in the year 2000 about 7.0 version.)

> here are something happened to our 100 user system:
> 1) we don't have any accounts defined in the VME.
> 2) VME space got eaten, and regains space too.
> 3) the decreasing rate of the space is way faster than the increasing.
> 4) reclaim-ovf command keeps giving me error 3 message.
> 5) after the VME space hits 0, the system complains and we have to
> shutdown and apply the backup of the VME, which costs some
> data/spooler lost.

> here are the questions:
> 1) does reclaim-ovf work? can it solve this problem, or it's doing
> something else? how to logon as line 0? how to get around the error 3?
> what does u53 and u54 do in the dm,bp, reclaim-ovf and dm,bp,
> start-reclaim-ovf? where are the documents for these user exits
> subroutines?
> 2) besides the best-guessing reclaim-ovf and shutdown the system
> frequently, what else can we do?
> 3) we already increased the VME space to 2GB, which is larger than
> what we heard of the limit earlier (1.5GB). Is there any negative
> effect to make it so big? what is the new limit now?
> 4) Are there any utility in D3 to monitor the VME space usage?
> ("where" is not enough i think...)
> 5) what other problems in D3?

> thankx for all your comments, and we really want to know how many
> companies are using D3/NT 7.3 and share the experience.

1. D3/NT eat up VME space

Hi everybody,

My VME space is kept on decrease without any reason.  We are using FSI
and none of the application is using VME.  I need to do a VME restore
almost every month.

Any idea what is happening ?

Regards,

Alfred

2. "Index out of date"

3. D3/NT VME startup problem

4. AS/400 Mario Game

5. D3 ODBC and VME deaths on NT

6. Oracle Hosting in the UK

7. D3/NT vme restores

8. looking for Huntleys DBCC doc

9. Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

10. be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

11. disk performance using FSI on D3/NT is slower than VME

12. d3/nt VME items to dos/window?

13. Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)