Remote Database Access using the SQL/RDA protocol ?

Remote Database Access using the SQL/RDA protocol ?

Post by swhi » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Remote Database Access using the SQL/RDA protocol ?

Does anyone have experience with RDA?

RDA is client/server application layer protocol for the remote querying of
multiple different vendor databases over TCP/IP and OSI

I'm examining the RDA ver.2 spec. and would like to know of;

1) successes
2) problems
3) development

Thank you,

Stephen White

Post by Dean Arnol » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > Remote Database Access using the SQL/RDA protocol ?

> Does anyone have experience with RDA?

> RDA is client/server application layer protocol for the remote querying of
> multiple different vendor databases over TCP/IP and OSI

> I'm examining the RDA ver.2 spec. and would like to know of;

> 1) successes
> 2) problems
> 3) development

> Thank you,

> Stephen White

Several years ago, I was involved with the SQL Access group implementing
RDA, which led to a
interop demo in July of 1991. For details, see IEEE Computer, December
1991, "SQL Access:
An implementation of the ISO Remote Database Access standard".

Unfortunately, RDA has never really taken off; it has been supplanted by
ODBC, which solved
*some* (though hardly all) of the heterogeneous client/server problems.
However, there are
a few companies which have pursued RDA for some narrow markets;
unfortunately, I don't have their
names at hand right now.

Good luck.

Dean Arnold

1. SQL Access Group and RDA(Remote Database Access)

To DB members;

If you know about the SQL Access Group which is an industry consortium group
to define specifications to enable multi-vendor interoperability between
SQL-based DB clients and servers at a faster pace, please let me know.

I want to get the e-mail address or tel. # or address.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Young Bae Choi

p.s: Are there anybody interested in Remote Database Access (RDA) of ISO?
     I want to keep in touch with you if you are interested in it.

2. Sorting records within a dbgrid - how?

3. Remote Database Access (RDA-SQL)

4. spaces headache

5. Requesting info on RDA protocol / SQL access group

6. Can you pass a column name into a stored procedure?

7. Remote Database Access (ISO RDA)

8. out of shared memory during onload

9. What's status of ISO's RDA (remote database access)

10. RDA (Remote Database Access)

11. Remote Database Access Protocol?

12. Update a remote datetime field using RDA (SubmitSQL)

13. RDA (Remote Data Access) Specification