List of available drives

Post by Larry Huisin » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

In FPW 2.5 is there a way to determine which drives are available on the
current machine?  I am creating a screen similar to the GETFILE()
function and I would like to be able to select the drive as well as the
directory/file.

TIA

List of available drives

Post by RMorse06 » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:>In FPW 2.5 is there a way to determine which drives are available on the
>current machine?  I am creating a screen similar to the GETFILE()
>function and I would like to be able to select the drive as well as the
>directory/file.

FoxTools.fll contains a "DriveType()" function that will do that, but it's
not foolproof.  It is supposed to return a numeric value based on the type
of drive, with the following list being the advertised responses:
0 = No type
2 = Floppy Disk
3 = Hard Disk
4 = Removable / Network Drive

However, I've found that it will also return:
3 = RAM drive
4 = CD ROM drive

So it makes it kind of tough to allow a user to choose a network drive for
his file output, when in fact that could be a CD drive instead.  But the
thing I really love about this function is that it can properly identify
floppy and CD drives with NO disk installed, and in fact does not even
activate the drive motor.

HTH

Ralph Morse

List of available drives

Post by Jerry Jon » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>In FPW 2.5 is there a way to determine which drives are available on the
>current machine?  I am creating a screen similar to the GETFILE()
>function and I would like to be able to select the drive as well as the
>directory/file.
>TIA
>*-----------------------------------------------*

>*-----------------------------------------------*

Someone in work just ran into this problem yesterday.  What he's planning to to
is an ADIR() function from "A:\" to "Z:\".  Allthough it may be slow, it sounds
like it would work.  It also MAY solve the problem of CD vs. hard drive because
it gives attribute bits of the files.

Jerry

1. List of available drives in FPW

Can anyone advise of a way to get a popup of all available DOS drives
using FPW 2.5b??  Most standard Windows Open/Save screens have this type of
option so surely it can be done!  Well... maybe!

Thanks in advance,
Pete
--
Peter J. Naylor

2. Email a FM report to non-FM users

3. no drives available for Backup device

4. DataGrid and ADO Recordset Troubles

5. Drive D: is no longer available

6. Help me db vets

7. Cluster Setup - Viewing all available drives

8. SQLDMO and reading Description property..