Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by John Lewi » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi folks,

We have about 40 or so clients running our application (VME/databasic
based) on D3/NT (and another 20 or so on AP/PRO).

The problem we are experiencing is that some of our clients occasionally
forget to shutdown the VME before they shutdown Windows.  This often
trashes their data and we have to get them to restore from their last
backup (if they've remembered to do one!!).  Whilst we can get round
this it's still a pain in the backside and wastes a lot of support time.

Obviously, there is nothing anyone can do about those clients that just
reach for the switch and don't even bother shutting down Windows
properly (except possibly to amputate their fingers), but I would have
thought that D3 might have anticipated this problem and done more to try
to solve it.  The D3VME does attempt to shut itself down properly but
doesn't seem to succeed.

Up to now we have been using the useful utility from Pick Systems France
(D3Tray) which has helped a lot.  However, this only works if the
Windows shutdown comes from a user who is logged on to Windows (as
D3Tray is in the system tray), and doesn't help if the shutdown option
is taken at the Windows NT logon dialog.  There is also the problem that
a combination of D3Tray (our version at least) and nt4sp6a blows the
whole thing up.

I vaguely remember seeing something posted here about a shutdown delay
setting in the registry (for D3).  Can anyone enlighten me on this?  Or
does someone have a different way of getting round this problem?

By the way, all our clients are running D3 service pack 280 (we aren't
about to risk upgrading them all to anything more recent until we've
checked it out thoroughly ourselves).

Any help would be appreciated.
John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by Mark » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You might try upgrading to the latest release.  As I recall, somewhere
around 280 they included that.  When Windows is shutdown it querys D3
and prompts you to continue to shut down D3 as well. At least on D3/NT

On the client machines with their own local VMEs I am not sure, but
it's worth a try.

Mark

> Hi folks,

> We have about 40 or so clients running our application (VME/databasic
> based) on D3/NT (and another 20 or so on AP/PRO).

> The problem we are experiencing is that some of our clients
occasionally
> forget to shutdown the VME before they shutdown Windows.  This often
> trashes their data and we have to get them to restore from their last
> backup (if they've remembered to do one!!).  Whilst we can get round
> this it's still a pain in the backside and wastes a lot of support
time.

> Obviously, there is nothing anyone can do about those clients that
just
> reach for the switch and don't even bother shutting down Windows
> properly (except possibly to amputate their fingers), but I would have
> thought that D3 might have anticipated this problem and done more to
try
> to solve it.  The D3VME does attempt to shut itself down properly but
> doesn't seem to succeed.

> Up to now we have been using the useful utility from Pick Systems
France
> (D3Tray) which has helped a lot.  However, this only works if the
> Windows shutdown comes from a user who is logged on to Windows (as
> D3Tray is in the system tray), and doesn't help if the shutdown option
> is taken at the Windows NT logon dialog.  There is also the problem
that
> a combination of D3Tray (our version at least) and nt4sp6a blows the
> whole thing up.

> I vaguely remember seeing something posted here about a shutdown delay
> setting in the registry (for D3).  Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Or
> does someone have a different way of getting round this problem?

> By the way, all our clients are running D3 service pack 280 (we aren't
> about to risk upgrading them all to anything more recent until we've
> checked it out thoroughly ourselves).

> Any help would be appreciated.
> John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
> Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

Please reply to this newsgroup as my Deja mail
is used as a spam catcher only!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by K. Powi » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>You might try upgrading to the latest release.  As I recall, somewhere
>around 280 they included that.  When Windows is shutdown it querys D3
>and prompts you to continue to shut down D3 as well. At least on D3/NT

>On the client machines with their own local VMEs I am not sure, but
>it's worth a try.

Unfortunately, we've found that even with the latest release of D3, NT
sometimes gets "impatient" and doesn't let D3 complete this type of
initiated shutdown properly.

It's a pain, but the best thing is to *remember* to do a proper
shutdown of D3 before sutting down any Windows box (NT/95/98/2000)

Kevin Powick
Trident Information Systems
kkp(at)tridentinfosys(dot)com

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by Andrew Kenn » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You shouldn't even have the shutdown enabled on the Windows nt security
logon box as it is very bad security move.. Disable it in my opinion then
all your problems will be solved

Regards

Andrew

> Hi folks,

> We have about 40 or so clients running our application (VME/databasic
> based) on D3/NT (and another 20 or so on AP/PRO).

> The problem we are experiencing is that some of our clients occasionally
> forget to shutdown the VME before they shutdown Windows.  This often
> trashes their data and we have to get them to restore from their last
> backup (if they've remembered to do one!!).  Whilst we can get round
> this it's still a pain in the backside and wastes a lot of support time.

> Obviously, there is nothing anyone can do about those clients that just
> reach for the switch and don't even bother shutting down Windows
> properly (except possibly to amputate their fingers), but I would have
> thought that D3 might have anticipated this problem and done more to try
> to solve it.  The D3VME does attempt to shut itself down properly but
> doesn't seem to succeed.

> Up to now we have been using the useful utility from Pick Systems France
> (D3Tray) which has helped a lot.  However, this only works if the
> Windows shutdown comes from a user who is logged on to Windows (as
> D3Tray is in the system tray), and doesn't help if the shutdown option
> is taken at the Windows NT logon dialog.  There is also the problem that
> a combination of D3Tray (our version at least) and nt4sp6a blows the
> whole thing up.

> I vaguely remember seeing something posted here about a shutdown delay
> setting in the registry (for D3).  Can anyone enlighten me on this?  Or
> does someone have a different way of getting round this problem?

> By the way, all our clients are running D3 service pack 280 (we aren't
> about to risk upgrading them all to anything more recent until we've
> checked it out thoroughly ourselves).

> Any help would be appreciated.
> John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
> Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by Nikolai Luki » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

John,

There is a wonderful utility known as D3Tray. It's available at

ftp://ftp.picksys.com/pub/from.pick/D3Tray271.exe

or

ftp://ftp.appcom.ru/pub/PickSystems/D3NT/D3Utils/D3Tray271.exe

This utility is absolutely amazing, it allows to start/stop D3/NT servers
remotely all over your network. And, when you shutdown NT, it looks after
proper D3 shutdown. Many thanks to Pierre Trinephi from Pick Systems, who as
far as I believe is a major contibutor in the development of this tiny but
useful attraction.

Nick

> Hi folks,

> The problem we are experiencing is that some of our clients occasionally
> forget to shutdown the VME before they shutdown Windows.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
> Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by John Lewi » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Nick,

As I said in my original post, all our sites use D3Tray.  Yes it is very
useful but it has its limitations.

1)  It doesn't get on well with nt4sp6a (in fact it is impossible to
logon to NT if D3Tray is installed - you get a BSOD).

2)  It only works when a user is logged on (i.e. if someone takes the
'shutdown' option at the NT logon prompt D3Tray is not running (because
at that stage no-one is logged on).

3)  On the other hand, I seem to remember that if you log off (from NT),
D3Tray leaps into action and starts shutting down the VME when all you
wanted to do was to log on as a different user.

A great tool, but doesn't quite do what we want.....

writes

>John,

>There is a wonderful utility known as D3Tray. It's available at

>ftp://ftp.picksys.com/pub/from.pick/D3Tray271.exe

>or

>ftp://ftp.appcom.ru/pub/PickSystems/D3NT/D3Utils/D3Tray271.exe

>This utility is absolutely amazing, it allows to start/stop D3/NT servers
>remotely all over your network. And, when you shutdown NT, it looks after
>proper D3 shutdown. Many thanks to Pierre Trinephi from Pick Systems, who as
>far as I believe is a major contibutor in the development of this tiny but
>useful attraction.

>Nick

>> Hi folks,

>> The problem we are experiencing is that some of our clients occasionally
>> forget to shutdown the VME before they shutdown Windows.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>> John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
>> Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by Mark » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Is there a reason that your clients are shutting down NT?

Of the several networks I manage no one is even allowed to turn on the
screen of the NT box without good reason, let alone power it down. The
NT box is NOT used as a client to D3 so it never has a person using it
except for administration, backups etc.   They have all been happily
chugging away for about 4 years now without any problems, never being
powered down.

On the other hand, if your talking about clients in the respect that
they are clients to the D3/NT box with a vme on each windows machine I
can understand your problem.  However, I have never put a vme on any
machine other than the NT box on a network, unless it was a programmers
development machine.

Anyway, NT never gets shut down, D3 never gets shut down. Everyone is
happy.  Any chance you can do that?

Mark

> Hi folks,

> We have about 40 or so clients running our application (VME/databasic
> based) on D3/NT (and another 20 or so on AP/PRO).

> The problem we are experiencing is that some of our clients
occasionally
> forget to shutdown the VME before they shutdown Windows.  This often
> trashes their data and we have to get them to restore from their last
> backup (if they've remembered to do one!!).  Whilst we can get round
> this it's still a pain in the backside and wastes a lot of support
time.

> Obviously, there is nothing anyone can do about those clients that
just
> reach for the switch and don't even bother shutting down Windows
> properly (except possibly to amputate their fingers), but I would have
> thought that D3 might have anticipated this problem and done more to
try
> to solve it.  The D3VME does attempt to shut itself down properly but
> doesn't seem to succeed.

> Up to now we have been using the useful utility from Pick Systems
France
> (D3Tray) which has helped a lot.  However, this only works if the
> Windows shutdown comes from a user who is logged on to Windows (as
> D3Tray is in the system tray), and doesn't help if the shutdown option
> is taken at the Windows NT logon dialog.  There is also the problem
that
> a combination of D3Tray (our version at least) and nt4sp6a blows the
> whole thing up.

> I vaguely remember seeing something posted here about a shutdown delay
> setting in the registry (for D3).  Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Or
> does someone have a different way of getting round this problem?

> By the way, all our clients are running D3 service pack 280 (we aren't
> about to risk upgrading them all to anything more recent until we've
> checked it out thoroughly ourselves).

> Any help would be appreciated.
> John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
> Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

Please reply to this newsgroup as my Deja mail
is used as a spam catcher only!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by John Lewi » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Mark,

All our sites are tiny (max 10 users - average 3 users - several single
user) and they all have no money (stupid market to get into huh?!) so
for many of them, they don't have a separate 'server' as such.  They run
happily on NT Workstation (as the D3 Server) with a peer-to-peer network
if they have more than one machine.  We are not talking big setups with
loads of IT staff (most don't have _any_ IT staff).

Most of them are in offices which their 'regulations' (ie the landlord)
stipulates that all electrical items are to be switched off (if not
unplugged from the wall) overnight.

The sites that do leave their systems on tend not to have any problems.

I may be over-doing this - we get about one 'incorrect shutdown' every 2
or 3 weeks - so it's not a _massive_ problem - it's just annoying.

With this being the only exception, we have found D3/NT to be _VERY_
stable and are more than happy with it.

writes

Quote:>Is there a reason that your clients are shutting down NT?

>Of the several networks I manage no one is even allowed to turn on the
>screen of the NT box without good reason, let alone power it down. The
>NT box is NOT used as a client to D3 so it never has a person using it
>except for administration, backups etc.   They have all been happily
>chugging away for about 4 years now without any problems, never being
>powered down.

>On the other hand, if your talking about clients in the respect that
>they are clients to the D3/NT box with a vme on each windows machine I
>can understand your problem.  However, I have never put a vme on any
>machine other than the NT box on a network, unless it was a programmers
>development machine.

>Anyway, NT never gets shut down, D3 never gets shut down. Everyone is
>happy.  Any chance you can do that?

>Mark

John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

Post by Mark » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

John:

Sort of puts you in a spot, huh?  Best I can offer then is to upgrade
D3 to the latest release.  At least when NT begins it's shutdown
routine it will pop up a D3 Message Box informing the user that the VME
will be shut down.  At least it wil serve as a reminder to the
operators that they forgot a step in the shutdown routine.  Sooner or
later they will learn to shut down D3 first, and it may even prevent
some data loss in the process.

Good luck to you

Mark

> Hi Mark,

> All our sites are tiny (max 10 users - average 3 users - several
single
> user) and they all have no money (stupid market to get into huh?!) so
> for many of them, they don't have a separate 'server' as such.  They
run
> happily on NT Workstation (as the D3 Server) with a peer-to-peer
network
> if they have more than one machine.  We are not talking big setups
with
> loads of IT staff (most don't have _any_ IT staff).

> Most of them are in offices which their 'regulations' (ie the
landlord)
> stipulates that all electrical items are to be switched off (if not
> unplugged from the wall) overnight.

> The sites that do leave their systems on tend not to have any
problems.

> I may be over-doing this - we get about one 'incorrect shutdown'
every 2
> or 3 weeks - so it's not a _massive_ problem - it's just annoying.

> With this being the only exception, we have found D3/NT to be _VERY_
> stable and are more than happy with it.

deja.com>
> writes
> >Is there a reason that your clients are shutting down NT?

> >Of the several networks I manage no one is even allowed to turn on
the
> >screen of the NT box without good reason, let alone power it down.
The
> >NT box is NOT used as a client to D3 so it never has a person using
it
> >except for administration, backups etc.   They have all been happily
> >chugging away for about 4 years now without any problems, never being
> >powered down.

> >On the other hand, if your talking about clients in the respect that
> >they are clients to the D3/NT box with a vme on each windows machine
> >can understand your problem.  However, I have never put a vme on any
> >machine other than the NT box on a network, unless it was a
programmers
> >development machine.

> >Anyway, NT never gets shut down, D3 never gets shut down. Everyone is
> >happy.  Any chance you can do that?

> >Mark
> John Lewis                        +   Telephone: +44 (0)1285 861874
> Cerney Computer Services Ltd.     +   Fax:       +44 (0)1285 862688

Please reply to this newsgroup as my Deja mail
is used as a spam catcher only!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Restarting Oracle after shutting down UNIX without shutting down Oracle first

Hello

I have been given the task of getting an Oracle database started after the
UNIX server was shutdown without shutting down Oracle first. I have no DBA
experience with Oracle at all, and come from an MS background so all this is
new to me.

Anyway, the documentation suggests that I do the following:

    sqlplus /nolog
    connect username/password as sysdba
    STARTUP database_name

However, I always get an error when using the connect command to connect as
sysdba. The error is ORA-01031L insufficient privileges. I have used the sys
username and password that I have been given and still get this error. In
fact I get the same error even if I put in a junk username/password that
does not exist.

I know this could suggest that the sys password may be incorrect, however I
am told that it is correct, and since it does not tell me that the password
is incorrect, it may be that I need to choose some other kind of username
rather than sys for example.

Please can anyone help me get going on this?

I am basically trying to get Oracle up and running as it was before the
server was shutdown, so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nick

2. Can you upgrade from SQL 6.5 to 2000 w/o SQL 7.0?

3. auto shut down software d3 nt

4. ADO & ORACLE - Update ... HELP

5. Shutting down d3/nt via a script

6. SQL7 Service Pack 2 and Stored Procedures in Enterprise Manager

7. VME shutting down unexpectedly

8. installtion problems vfp 5.0

9. VME shuts down unexpectedly

10. Cannot start server (machine was brought down w/o shutting down server)

11. Shutting down D3 gracefully from unix

12. Killing Processes WITHOUT Shutting Down The Database