Cannot update view...

Post by MIS Departmen » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Greetings,

I have a question regarding updating a view. I have a simple view created
as such. My two problems are the following:

1) I haven't been able to make this view (when used in a form tied to
various objects' controlsource) shareable. It always comes up "EXCLUSIVE".

2) I haven't been able to update the Table linked to the view. Since it is
a single table, this should be straightforward.

Here is my CREATE SQL statement from the "Init" method of the form using
this view:

Create SQL View vLABS As ;
Select * ;
From LABS ;
Where LABS.SERVICE >= ?gdSDATE;
And LABS.SERVICE <= ?gdEDATE;
Order By LABS.ID

Use vLABS In 0 Alias vLABS Shared

Select vLABS
= CursorSetProp ("SendUpdates", .T., "vLABS") = CursorSetProp ("Buffering",
5, "vLABS")
= CursorSetProp ("KeyFieldList", "TABLEID", "vLABS")

= CursorSetProp ("UpdatableFieldList", "LAST_NAME, MI, FIRST_NAME, ID,
SERVICE, DOB, SEX, RACE", "vLABS")

The two problems occur when the form shows and I'm editing the fields.
Issuing a = TableUpdate (.T., .T., "vLABS") does no good...

Anybody provide any suggestions? I have to break down the original table
(LABS) by a certain date range (LABS.SERVICE) since the table is growing
immensely...

Thanks again!

Regards,

Mark Pelea -- Manatee County Health Department, MIS

Cannot update view...

Post by Benn Kj? » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Just a suggestion. Why don't you try to redesign your view using the query
designer. It might solve your problems.

--
Best Regards from Denmark

Benn Kjaer [IDEAL data A/S]

Quote:> Greetings,

> I have a question regarding updating a view. I have a simple view created
> as such. My two problems are the following:

> 1) I haven't been able to make this view (when used in a form tied to
> various objects' controlsource) shareable. It always comes up
"EXCLUSIVE".

> 2) I haven't been able to update the Table linked to the view. Since it
is
> a single table, this should be straightforward.

> Here is my CREATE SQL statement from the "Init" method of the form using
> this view:

> Create SQL View vLABS As ;
> Select * ;
> From LABS ;
> Where LABS.SERVICE >= ?gdSDATE;
> And LABS.SERVICE <= ?gdEDATE;
> Order By LABS.ID

> Use vLABS In 0 Alias vLABS Shared

> Select vLABS
> = CursorSetProp ("SendUpdates", .T., "vLABS") = CursorSetProp
("Buffering",
> 5, "vLABS")
> = CursorSetProp ("KeyFieldList", "TABLEID", "vLABS")

> = CursorSetProp ("UpdatableFieldList", "LAST_NAME, MI, FIRST_NAME, ID,
> SERVICE, DOB, SEX, RACE", "vLABS")

> The two problems occur when the form shows and I'm editing the fields.
> Issuing a = TableUpdate (.T., .T., "vLABS") does no good...

> Anybody provide any suggestions? I have to break down the original table
> (LABS) by a certain date range (LABS.SERVICE) since the table is growing
> immensely...

> Thanks again!

> Regards,

> Mark Pelea -- Manatee County Health Department, MIS

Cannot update view...

Post by Benn Kj? » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Surry, not the Query designer but the View designer...........
--
Best Regards from Denmark

Benn Kjaer [IDEAL data A/S]

1. Cannot Update Views via QBF.?

In attempting to update a table via a simple view (with check option) using
a QBF frame in an ABF/4GL application, I get the error:

        E_QF0086 Cannot us UPDATE function on views.

This view is updateable via isql (I tried it!).

Is this a known restriction in QBF?
Can it be overridden?

If not, I guess I can replace the QBF frame with an ABF/4GL one .... sigh.

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO       OR: (812) 366-4066
1560 Zoar Church Road NE             FAX: (812) 366-3618

WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com

2. Alpha VMS async I/O

3. Cannot update the table Through View

4. OPAL problems with unassigned values in table frame fields

5. Why cannot update this simple view?

6. Foreign Key?

7. View problem - cannot update with a Join

8. MAPI and FPW 2.6

9. SQL Server update error: row cannot be update for updating

10. Transactional replication - Queued updating - Cannot update more than one row at the subscriber

11. a view doesn't use updated data resulted from another view

12. Indexed views - mechanism of auto update of the contents of the view

13. Update Trigger - Updates don't show up in pane view