RPL / Adds R83 bug

Post by Jim » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

We've discovered a potential problem on out R83 Adds Mentor
system. We run RPL+ on site and the nightly backup has been
run from the RPL systems account for 10 years with no
problems.
Suddenly (in the last couple of weeks) instead of
waiting 'till 23:00 before backing up it'll just kick off
after about 10 mins.
All the backup routine does is a tape write check (T-ATT,T-
REW,T-WEOF etc.), selects data accounts, performs a "SLEEP
23:00:00" then does a "SAVE (D,G,F,T,S)".
The RPL and SYSPROG accounts both point to the same frame
and at TCL they both work.
Does anyone know know if RPL may affect the software time
triggers? If so why has it suddenly occurred?
What else may be affected?

Cordially,

Jim Skinner

RPL / Adds R83 bug

Post by Carlile Enterprise » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On some older versions of Pick, a global message to all ports, or a message
just to the sleeping
port would wake up that port and it would start its process.

Quote:> We've discovered a potential problem on out R83 Adds Mentor
> system. We run RPL+ on site and the nightly backup has been
> run from the RPL systems account for 10 years with no
> problems.
> Suddenly (in the last couple of weeks) instead of
> waiting 'till 23:00 before backing up it'll just kick off
> after about 10 mins.
> All the backup routine does is a tape write check (T-ATT,T-
> REW,T-WEOF etc.), selects data accounts, performs a "SLEEP
> 23:00:00" then does a "SAVE (D,G,F,T,S)".
> The RPL and SYSPROG accounts both point to the same frame
> and at TCL they both work.
> Does anyone know know if RPL may affect the software time
> triggers? If so why has it suddenly occurred?
> What else may be affected?

> Cordially,

> Jim Skinner

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find

related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful

RPL / Adds R83 bug

Post by Concerned Netize » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Perhaps it's a wierd Y2K issue. Try setting your clock back to before the
first of the year and see if the sleep function works correctly.

Quote:> The RPL and SYSPROG accounts both point to the same frame

You mean you have duplicate D-pointers in your SYSTEM file?
Wouldn't do that myself....but...

RPL / Adds R83 bug

Post by JBD » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Jim S wrote

Quote:>We've discovered a potential problem on out R83 Adds Mentor
>system. We run RPL+ on site and the nightly backup has been
>run from the RPL systems account for 10 years with no
>problems.
>Suddenly (in the last couple of weeks) instead of
>waiting 'till 23:00 before backing up it'll just kick off
>after about 10 mins.

Last couple of weeks ago! Wasn't it the 1st of January!!!

My 2 cents

RPL / Adds R83 bug

Post by Jim » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Looking through the control file listing the problem has
occurred twice since new year so not y2k related. Can't
check before that (tho' it did happen) because the file is
DY'd and I restored prior to Y2K.

The messaging type problem is exactly the sort of thing I
was looking for - but the users aren't clever enough to
even log off properly so it's not that!

In all accounts the SLEEP verb reads <1>P and <2>107A so
it's not like there's a difference between accounts.

Any more ideas?

RPL / Adds R83 bug

Post by Tony Gravagn » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You mentioned that you were running RPL+.  That was originally maintained by R-Computer Inc, which has been out of business for years.  RPL is owned and
maintained by one company these days, Realtime Software Corp (USA 847-698-4000).  If you need need a current system and want to continue using RPL, they are
probably the only place that you can go. I don't believe you will be able to find RPL running over ADDS.  You may want to check options just in case your
current system decides to crash and burn.

Good Luck,
Tony

--
Tony Gravagno - Pick Systems
Corporate Technical Account Manager

1. converting old ADDS to R83 to AP

Well, for the longest, we had to support our application on both ADDS and
R83.  The differences are few but significant.  Mainly, there are some
some constructs that ADDS uses that are not supported in R83, or are done
just a littel differently.  Seem to remember some significatn differences
in ACCESS and particularly EXECUTEing Access stmts. from inside Basic.  My
suggestion is to just skip the R83 step and go directly to AP.  Do your
damndest to convice the client that it is the best/cheapest method all
around.  Or even better, try to convice him to go with Mentor Pro (4.0,
5.0, I forget which).  It runs just great on a 486 or pentium platform.
Pretty much as straight port if your not doing silly things like storing
temp records in ERRMSG or some such.  Some file manipulation differences
(creating, deleting) but nothing serious.

--

Windows 95 is like a Centauri.  It's very stylish, relatively powerless, tends to fall over a lot, and has it's tentacularities everywhere where they don't belong.

2. Droping Table Columns?

3. Adds Mentor 7000 File-save to R83 System

4. Serial Printing Problems - losing data & upside down question marks

5. RPL documentation?

6. SQL Server Set up

7. Looking for RPL Programmer

8. year 2094, parameter

9. RPL?

10. D3/RPL programmer needed in Auburn, CA

11. RPl Users Running MvEnterprise

12. RPL DATABASE

13. BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS