does granting privileges to a role automatically cascade to users

does granting privileges to a role automatically cascade to users

Post by Viss » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:19:15

Hi,

If I create a role Y and grant this role Y to User X.  Later on, I
grant privileges to role Y, does the User X inherit those privileges?

I guess the basic question is, will the privileges for User X be
dynamically or statically computed from all the roles that it is part
of ?.

Thanks

Vissu

Post by Guido Konsolk » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:55:02

> Hi,

> If I create a role Y and grant this role Y to User X.  Later on, I
> grant privileges to role Y, does the User X inherit those privileges?

> I guess the basic question is, will the privileges for User X be
> dynamically or statically computed from all the roles that it is part
> of ?.

> Thanks

> Vissu

Hi Vissu,
are you talking about any specific database engine / RDBMS?

Guido

1. Difference between grant to user and grant to role

Hi,

When I grant object priviliges to a user, the user can reference the object
both in SQL and PL/SQL.

When I grant object privliges to a role and grant the role to a user, the
user can reference the object in SQL, but not in PL/SQL.

Can it be right? and why?

--
Kind regards
Anker M?ller

Phone......... +45 89 37 62 86
Fax.............. +45 86 78 38 00

2. ActiveX Controls on web servers

3. Grant all Object Privilege from User to User

4. Please help - Oracle, ODBC and Visual Basic

5. Granted Role privileges not working

6. nvarchar in SQL 7

7. finding privileges granted to roles - Urgent!

8. oracle cry baby ceo

9. Directly or via role granted object privileges

10. Granting a database user SA privileges

11. how to script-wise grant access privilege to a user