Help closing ingres gracefully

Post by Malcolm Jenkin » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I need to close down ingres within a batch job so that I can
carry out backups.  The problem is if there is any stray
sessions of if there is someone in an ingres session then
iishutdown will not work.

I need a fool proof procedure to shut ingres down.

Any ideas or solutions would be helpfull.

Please reply to this message or mail me at

Thanks

Malcolm Jenkins
Torque Management Systems
New Zealand.

Post by Zaheer Mosa » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I need to close down ingres within a batch job so that I can
>carry out backups.  The problem is if there is any stray
>sessions of if there is someone in an ingres session then
>iishutdown will not work.

>I need a fool proof procedure to shut ingres down.

>Any ideas or solutions would be helpfull.

>Please reply to this message or mail me at

>Thanks

>Malcolm Jenkins
>Torque Management Systems
>New Zealand.

just goes to show you should never have left the UK you ozzie.
if you'd stayed here you would know that we already do it.
what you gotta do is
  1 stop people getting in (remember /users/DB_variable)
  2 kill the people that are in
  3 do what you want to do
  4 let them back in

point 2 needs a list of users that are logged into ingres.
iinamu provides you with the server ids and then iimonitor shows you the
user ids which you then kill (not ingres or root tho)

if you want i can email you the scripts we use to make sure we get a
sysmod done on oakham.

Hows life in Australia then?

John Sheldrake.
Zaheer Mosam.

--
Zaheer Mosam

Post by IS Departme » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I need to close down ingres within a batch job so that I can
>carry out backups.  The problem is if there is any stray
>sessions of if there is someone in an ingres session then
>iishutdown will not work.
>I need a fool proof procedure to shut ingres down.
>Any ideas or solutions would be helpfull.
>Please reply to this message or mail me at

>Thanks
>Malcolm Jenkins
>Torque Management Systems
>New Zealand.

What operating system are you ? I have one that works for VMS

Michael Greene
Database Administratot
Bowater Mersey Paper Co. Ltd
Liverpool, NS
Canada

Help closing ingres gracefully

Post by Malcolm Jenkin » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

WRONG!!!!!

Don't you think I know what you do over there?

What i want is something that will throw people off.
I don't want to be here at 11pm to stop people coming on
and kicking hem off.

Thanks for playing, try again next time.

Malcolm the Kiwi

Post by Jon Machtyng » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

>WRONG!!!!!
>Don't you think I know what you do over there?
>What i want is something that will throw people off.
>I don't want to be here at 11pm to stop people coming on
>and kicking hem off.
>Thanks for playing, try again next time.

Had a bad day Malcolm?

You might like to write a couple of scripts that take the
output from iimonitor and send a remove session to each
session.  If you are using 6.4/0x, you can have alook at
how the -force option works.  Go through the iishutdown
script for more info.

Alternatively, have a look at the Ingres FAQ. From memory, I think
there is exactly something like this in there for you.

Quote:>Malcolm the Kiwi

Aussie..Kiwi, what's the difference?

Post by Graham James Bolt » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

>What i want is something that will throw people off.
>I don't want to be here at 11pm to stop people coming on
>and kicking hem off.

This was a requirement for a large system (hundreds of users) which we
had to implement using INGRES/4GL on VAX.  We made a broadcast message
receiver (using SMG) which trapped incoming broadcasts and buffered them,
so that they could be accessed via a frame.  On receipt of a message
containing the text "** SHUTDOWN **", we raised SIGABORT, which has the
same effect as the user entering control-C.  (Disconnect quickly...)

How you do this under UNIX, I couldn't say.

Incidentaly, if you are using INGRES/NET (from PC's running OpenROAD for
example) you can shutdown the NET server first, which severs the
connectins, before shutting down the DBMS.  The DBMS will first tidy up
the severed connections before shutting down gracefully.

Does this help?
--
Graham J Bolton    | Work: Tel: 00 31 10 2732233 | Einstein said: "Everything
Elegant Relational |       Fax: 00 31 10 2731114 | should be as simple as

Post by Michael Moh » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

> >Malcolm the Kiwi
> Aussie..Kiwi, what's the difference?--

I could go into that, but I don't want to start a flame war.  Let us say
that a lot of water stands between us.

Information Technology Group      === Phone: 64 9 307-9999 x8133
Auckland Institute of Technology  === Fax:   64 9 307-9902
PO Box 92006, Auckland, New Zealand =
Turbo-brain in use -- subject to misfire unles#s well lubricated

Post by Jon Machtyng » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

>> >Malcolm the Kiwi
>> Aussie..Kiwi, what's the difference?--
>I could go into that, but I don't want to start a flame war.  Let us say
>that a lot of water stands between us.

I thought that an Aussie was a Kiwi that could play Rugby?
It was a term that Kiwi's used to describe a group of people they
hold in hight esteem.  At least that's what all the Kiwi's I know have told me.

Either that or that  New Zealand was an Eastern State of Australia.

Post by Mike Magui » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

: >WRONG!!!!!

: >Don't you think I know what you do over there?

: >What i want is something that will throw people off.
: >I don't want to be here at 11pm to stop people coming on
: >and kicking hem off.

: >Thanks for playing, try again next time.

: Had a bad day Malcolm?

: You might like to write a couple of scripts that take the
: output from iimonitor and send a remove session to each
: session.  If you are using 6.4/0x, you can have alook at
: how the -force option works.  Go through the iishutdown
: script for more info.

: Alternatively, have a look at the Ingres FAQ. From memory, I think
: there is exactly something like this in there for you.

: >Malcolm the Kiwi
: Aussie..Kiwi, what's the difference?

Geographically a great deal.

For example....

Melbourne is as close to Auckland as Moscow is to London.

Mike

| Mike Maguire                 |  Fisher & Paykel               |
| Software Designer            |  Range and Dishwasher Division |

| Fax   :   +64 3 489 7611     |  Mosgiel                       |
| Ph    :   +64 9 273 0519     |  New Zealand                   |

Post by Jon Machtyng » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

>: Aussie..Kiwi, what's the difference?
>Geographically a great deal.
>For example....
>Melbourne is as close to Auckland as Moscow is to London.

For those who have not seen through the wind-up, I apologise.

Let me put an end to the topic.  My original response was due to Malcom's
abhorence at being called an Aussie.  However, my comment was not entirely
in jest.  It is usually only Aussies/Kiwis who can generally tell each other
apart.  To the rest of the world, they have much the same accent, culture and
mentality (not to mention their savoir faire with the female of the species).
In Europe (particularly In the UK) I get called a Kiwi so often, it doesn't
bother me as much as it used to.  My point was not to take the P out of the
Kiwi's (since I do believe there is relatively little difference) but to take
the P out of a rash arrogant response (which Matthew did in fact make).

If you have any comments on this, please mail me directly .  This off-topic
topic has probably taken up enough bandwidth already.

Jon Machtynger

Help closing ingres gracefully

Post by Malcolm Jenkin » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

Thanks for the rely to my request.

I have subsequently written a script to kill all user
processes which in turn drops the ingres sessions.

I have reveived enough tips on stoping the sessions through
iimonitor.

My script also kicks anyone off which is also one of my goals.

Thanks for the advice.  Please stop now.

As to the references to peoples nationality , I think we
should keep this news group neutral an use it to share ingres
knowledge.

M Jenkins
TMS
Auckland

Post by Richard Yate » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

>I need to close down ingres within a batch job so that I can >carry out >backups.  The problem is if there is any stray >sessions o=

f if there is someone >in an ingres session then >iishutdown will not work.>I need a fool proof >procedure to shut ingres down.

What operating System and Ingres level are you using?

If it is SunOS 5.x (Solaris2.x) and Ingres 6.x I can suggest a couple of
things. We do a similar batch thing, sometimes through Operators.......

Richard.
~~~~~~~~

--
Opinions expressed do not represent those of my Organisation in any way.

1. Help closing ingres gracefully

 Apologies to all who are already aware of this.

 Beware of the class A bug in 6.4/03 & 6.4/04 that causes table
 corruptions when a "remove thread" is executed in ipm or iimonitor.
 Most times you get off scott free, if you're unlucky the server dies
 immediately, if you're very unlucky the buffer manager starts writing
 dirty pages anywhere in any open DB, and goes on doing it until the
 server dies - without any error message.  Nightmare huh! :-(

 This is fixed in 6.4/05 and in OI 1.1 ...

 Colin.

 +------------------------------------+-------------------------+
 | Colin MacKellar                    |  Database Manager       |
 +------------------------------------+  Perot Systems Europe   |
 | Tel  +44 (0)115 966 2177           |  398 Coppice Road       |
 | Fax  +44 (0)115 966 2091           |  Arnold                 |

 +------------------------------------+-------------------------+

just goes to show you should never have left the UK you ozzie.
if you'd stayed here you would know that we already do it.
what you gotta do is
  1 stop people getting in (remember /users/DB_variable)
  2 kill the people that are in
  3 do what you want to do
  4 let them back in

point 2 needs a list of users that are logged into ingres.
iinamu provides you with the server ids and then iimonitor shows you the
user ids which you then kill (not ingres or root tho)

if you want i can email you the scripts we use to make sure we get a
sysmod done on oakham.

Hows life in Australia then?

John Sheldrake.
Zaheer Mosam.

--
Zaheer Mosam

2. Digital Dashboard

3. Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

4. Oracle 6, Forms 3 on HP-UX 11

5. Aborting INGRES queries gracefully from ESQL/C

6. FoxPro Mac Delivery

7. HELP: How to stop a dbms job gracefully

8. Help: pros and cons of sorting indexes

9. Help! close() closes multiple db connections

10. Closing Down ingres in scripts.

11. Ingres connections left as CLOSED in netstat