Not another Day 10000 problem!

Post by John Watso » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Interesting date-related problem on our Sequoia...

We have a Dict file HAISSUES which contains separate data files for each
month - APR95, MAY95 and JUN95.  An enquiry program summarises records
from each file and needs to open each and every month's file.  It does a
SSELECT on the HAISSUES dict using a Dict item IMONTH:

   SSELECT DICT HAISSUES WITH IMONTH BY IMONTH

IMONTH has a correlative which generates an internal date for each month
using the DI date function as follows:

   <8> A;'01':0]DI

This worked fine until we added a Dict item in the file called MARGIN,
causing the program to abort with error [201] 'MARGIN' is not a filename.
This is caused by the Dict item IMONTH returning a value for MARGIN.
This can be checked with:

   PRINT ICONV('01MARGIN', 'D')

which returns 9922.  It seems to work with any string where the first
three characters are a valid month abbreviation.  Try 01JUNGLE on your
system!

Regards,

John Watson

Sequoia OA/CItoh R91/Ultimate           |   Normanton, West Yorks, WF6 1TL

Post by Henry Egge » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Interesting date-related problem on our Sequoia...

Without considering how you came to discover that:

:    PRINT ICONV('01MARGIN', 'D')

: which returns 9922.  It seems to work with any string where the first
: three characters are a valid month abbreviation.  Try 01JUNGLE on your
: system!

This is probably true of all machines deriving from the traditional
implement, and probably should be of all others, because I don't
think that the Date conversion has required an end of string terminator
rather than terminating when it runs out of text which it understands.
"Fixing" this would require that "10jun other text" would cease to
convert, and I have no idea how many of those there are out there,
but I'd bet it would be painful.

As much as we've considered dates, we're but scratching the surface...

Regards, hve.