Maxusers not matching users logged on

Post by Dan El » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 00:35:08

I have always had the problem of maxusers not matching the number of users
logged on.

Number of licensed users            : 43  (permanent)
Number of users currently logged on : 40
Number of users allowed on system   : 43
Number of ports on system           : 192

LISTU ends with...

[405] 37 items listed out of 73 items.

The 3 users are lost until I reboot.  This site uses alot of telnet  and I
know they drop out, but even if I go down to 1 actual user, I lose the
licenses unitl I reboot.   I just want to know how pick determines a license
used so I can reset it and not have to reboot.

Maxusers not matching users logged on

Post by Charles William » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:43:57

If you know the line numbers that are not available - reset-user usually
will restore the availability of these ports
is this AIX or NT?

Quote:> I have always had the problem of maxusers not matching the number of users
> logged on.

> Number of licensed users            : 43  (permanent)
> Number of users currently logged on : 40
> Number of users allowed on system   : 43
> Number of ports on system           : 192

> LISTU ends with...

> [405] 37 items listed out of 73 items.

> The 3 users are lost until I reboot.  This site uses alot of telnet  and I
> know they drop out, but even if I go down to 1 actual user, I lose the
> licenses unitl I reboot.   I just want to know how pick determines a
license
> used so I can reset it and not have to reboot.

Maxusers not matching users logged on

Post by Dan El » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 02:38:44

SCO UNIX is the version.  There is no way to no what ports to reset since
nothing shows in either LISTU or WHERE.

> If you know the line numbers that are not available - reset-user usually
> will restore the availability of these ports
> is this AIX or NT?

> > I have always had the problem of maxusers not matching the number of
users
> > logged on.

> > Number of licensed users            : 43  (permanent)
> > Number of users currently logged on : 40
> > Number of users allowed on system   : 43
> > Number of ports on system           : 192

> > LISTU ends with...

> > [405] 37 items listed out of 73 items.

> > The 3 users are lost until I reboot.  This site uses alot of telnet  and
> > know they drop out, but even if I go down to 1 actual user, I lose the
> > licenses unitl I reboot.   I just want to know how pick determines a
> license
> > used so I can reset it and not have to reboot.

Maxusers not matching users logged on

Post by Craig Taylor Equipmen » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 02:52:06

Try a list-lines

> SCO UNIX is the version.  There is no way to no what ports to reset since
> nothing shows in either LISTU or WHERE.

> > If you know the line numbers that are not available - reset-user usually
> > will restore the availability of these ports
> > is this AIX or NT?

> > > I have always had the problem of maxusers not matching the number of
> users
> > > logged on.

> > > Number of licensed users            : 43  (permanent)
> > > Number of users currently logged on : 40
> > > Number of users allowed on system   : 43
> > > Number of ports on system           : 192

> > > LISTU ends with...

> > > [405] 37 items listed out of 73 items.

> > > The 3 users are lost until I reboot.  This site uses alot of telnet
and
> > > know they drop out, but even if I go down to 1 actual user, I lose the
> > > licenses unitl I reboot.   I just want to know how pick determines a
> > license
> > > used so I can reset it and not have to reboot.

Maxusers not matching users logged on

Post by BobJ » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 02:39:49

Try WHERE (Z

> SCO UNIX is the version.  There is no way to no what ports to reset since
> nothing shows in either LISTU or WHERE.

> > If you know the line numbers that are not available - reset-user usually
> > will restore the availability of these ports
> > is this AIX or NT?

> > > I have always had the problem of maxusers not matching the number of
> users
> > > logged on.

> > > Number of licensed users            : 43  (permanent)
> > > Number of users currently logged on : 40
> > > Number of users allowed on system   : 43
> > > Number of ports on system           : 192

> > > LISTU ends with...

> > > [405] 37 items listed out of 73 items.

> > > The 3 users are lost until I reboot.  This site uses alot of telnet
and
> > > know they drop out, but even if I go down to 1 actual user, I lose the
> > > licenses unitl I reboot.   I just want to know how pick determines a
> > license
> > > used so I can reset it and not have to reboot.

Maxusers not matching users logged on

Post by Mark Wrigh » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:02:46

Try list-lines & see if there is a series of ??? in the DCD column.  That
will indicate the hosed port.

--
Mark Wright
Controller/MIS

> SCO UNIX is the version.  There is no way to no what ports to reset since
> nothing shows in either LISTU or WHERE.

> > If you know the line numbers that are not available - reset-user usually
> > will restore the availability of these ports
> > is this AIX or NT?

> > > I have always had the problem of maxusers not matching the number of
> users
> > > logged on.

> > > Number of licensed users            : 43  (permanent)
> > > Number of users currently logged on : 40
> > > Number of users allowed on system   : 43
> > > Number of ports on system           : 192

> > > LISTU ends with...

> > > [405] 37 items listed out of 73 items.

> > > The 3 users are lost until I reboot.  This site uses alot of telnet
and
> > > know they drop out, but even if I go down to 1 actual user, I lose the
> > > licenses unitl I reboot.   I just want to know how pick determines a
> > license
> > > used so I can reset it and not have to reboot.

Maxusers not matching users logged on

Post by Mike Woodin » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:10:54

Quote:"Dan Ell" wrote...
> SCO UNIX is the version.  There is no way to no what
> ports to reset since nothing shows in either LISTU or
> WHERE.

Dan

I've have exactly the same problem on a D3/Linux 7.2 system.  After faxing a
copy of a "where (z", a "list-lines" and a "maxusers" to Pick Sys..., er,
Raining Data, it was discovered that there is a bug in the way the active
users are counted.  I can't remember the exact details (sorry Mark from
Raining Data UK) but it is something to do with telnet processes aborting,
the D3 PIB being released, but the user count not being decreased by one.

Can I suggest you speak to the good people over in Raining Data support as
they may be able to tell you the exact circumstances that cause you to lose
a user so you'll at least know what not to do until they issue a fix.  If
you contact them and they haven't a clue what you're talking about, please
let me know and I'll get the "open ticket number" from RDUK so that you can
reference that in your future conversations.

Sorry I cannot offer a solution, but I can at least assure you that you're
not going mad. :-)

HTH

Regards

Mike Wooding

Post by Rick » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:00:31

Quote:> I have always had the problem of maxusers not matching the number of users
> logged on.

[snip]

Dan,
    If you are running D3Linux, make sure that when D3 starts you set -dcdon
and in your user coldstart make sure that you have both TRAP DCD EXIT and
DCD (N statements. You probably have users that are powering down their
workstations without exiting D3 properly. Setting this DCD stuff will solve
that problem. If you are running D3NT... convert.

--
Ricky Ginsburg can be reached at:

Web...: http://www.flbbq.org
Web...: http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky.htm

Maxusers not matching users logged on

Post by Judy Schonbru » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:44:09

Try PID* at TCL.  You may find a list of port #'s that aren't signed on.  Then
do !kill -9 pid# and then logoff port#.  That usually clears things up and I've
found it safer than RESET-USER.

> I have always had the problem of maxusers not matching the number of users
> logged on.

> Number of licensed users            : 43  (permanent)
> Number of users currently logged on : 40
> Number of users allowed on system   : 43
> Number of ports on system           : 192

> LISTU ends with...

> [405] 37 items listed out of 73 items.

> The 3 users are lost until I reboot.  This site uses alot of telnet  and I
> know they drop out, but even if I go down to 1 actual user, I lose the
> licenses unitl I reboot.   I just want to know how pick determines a license
> used so I can reset it and not have to reboot.

1. Log file does not match

I backup my database nightly by using the following
command :

BACKUP DATABASE MYDB
DISK='\\S2111166\BACKUP\MYDB.BAK'
WITH INIT

It was running fine until last night when it failed with
the following error :

Executed as user: WEI4\sql. The backup data in '\\S2111166
\BACKUP\MYDB.BAK' is incorrectly formatted. Backups cannot
be appended, but existing backup sets may still be usable.
[SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3266)  BACKUP DATABASE is
terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013).
The step failed.

After the deletion of the file MYDB.BAk from previous night
backup succeded ...however the restore that followed
failed:

RESTORE FILELISTONLY
   FROM DISK = 'I:\MSSQL\Backup\MYDB.bak'
RESTORE DATABASE MYDB
   FROM DISK = 'I:\MSSQL\Backup\MYDB.bak'
   WITH MOVE 'MYDB_Data' TO 'I:\MSSQL\Data\MYDB.mdf',
   MOVE 'SIVUEI_log' TO  'I:\MSSQL\Data\MYDB.ldf',
REPLACE

The error message indicates the folowing :

Executed as user: sa. Cannot associate files with
different databases. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 5173)  Log
file 'I:\MSSQL\Data\MYDB.ldf' does not match the primary
file.  It may be from a different database or the log may
have been rebuilt previously. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error
5108)  Processed 8404536 pages for database 'MYDB',
file 'MYDB_Data' on file 1. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error
4035).  The step failed.

What is the problem and how it can be fixed ? I only have
the backup file ( no mdf or ldf files)

Any suggestion is appreciated
Mila

2. How to open the "Build Connection String" box?

3. Redo02.log thread does not match, blah,blah

4. PICK/BASIC-CONTRACT-VIR B

5. Logins not matching Users after load

6. Analysis Services on Windows XP

7. matching Data that is not an exact match

8. NT Net Start Command

9. Seek Nearest Match if exact match not found ?

10. RESET-USER / MAXUSERS

11. RESET-USER/MAXUSERS (revised -- sorry!)

12. Windows User can not log in

13. check rights for executing stored procedure not for logged user