Discovering the owner name of a file

Post by Patrick Wo » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 06:38:46

Is there a way to find out the owner name of a Btrieve or Pervasive
file? The Function Executor requires the owner name before it can open
the file.

Discovering the owner name of a file

Post by Bill Bac » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 07:38:37

Yes, there are ways.  However, the easiest & quickest way is to just ask
the developer who wrote the program accessing the data file, or look at
the source code to see what owner name is being provided when opening the
file.

If the developer will not share this information, then it may be because
they are protecting the data as proprietary information, or that they just
don't want users messing with the data (i.e. some accounting applications
with audit trails), since once you have the owner name, you can pretty
much do what you want with the data.
 Goldstar Software Inc.
 Building on Btrieve(R) for the Future(SM)
 Bill Bach

 http://www.goldstarsoftware.com
 *** Pervasive.SQL Service & Support Courses ***
 Chicago: February 5-8, 2001 - See our web site for details!

> Is there a way to find out the owner name of a Btrieve or Pervasive
> file? The Function Executor requires the owner name before it can open
> the file.

1. owner name listed for OWNER column

Hello Everyone,

I logged in to my W2K system with a login name and a
password. I launched SQL Server 7 EM and created a
Database. SQL Server EM displays the
domain_name\my_user_name for the database OWNER on the
General tab.

I created a New Database User in my New Database and
checked both public and db_owner Role memebership
checkboxes.
In the Security folder I clicked on the Logins and
Selected my New User.  I made sure the dafault database
for this login is my New Database and i have the Server
Administrators Server Role checkbox checked.

I launched our custom application and entered my New SQL
Server 7 User login and Password and created our tables.
Tables were created and the OWNER listed for the OWNER
column is 'dbo' and not the New User name i entered in our
application.

Can some one tell me why i don't see the New User name i
entered for the login being listed under the OWNER column.

Thank you,
Mitra

2. Database Role

3. How to attibute an Owner name to Btrieve 5.10 files

4. SQL Server 7 & SQL Server 2000

5. SQL Server forcing the owner name to be entered all of a sudden in table name

6. Terminal vt100

7. Accessing another user's table without qualifying table name with the owner-name

8. naming tables without including owner name

9. Discover the name of the table a trigger is operating on

10. Dynamically discovering field names in PLPGSQL queries

11. FW: Re: Dynamically discovering field names in PLPGSQL

12. Discovering table name(s)