Best method to send rows to a remote db, without full replication

Best method to send rows to a remote db, without full replication

Post by Bryan Web » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
    I would like some help on the following adventure.
I have a table that has only certain rows that need to be sent to a remote
table. This will happen on a recurring interval. Also, any emergency /
priority record could be sent on demand.
What is the best way accomplish this, with the least amount of work?

Thanks
Bryan Webb

Post by John Zollinge » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
>     I would like some help on the following adventure.
> I have a table that has only certain rows that need to be sent to a remote
> table. This will happen on a recurring interval. Also, any emergency /
> priority record could be sent on demand.
> What is the best way accomplish this, with the least amount of work?

Our Universal Update software can do all of that.  Non-intrusive detection of
change in the source (you don't have to modify the source database/tables in
any way), and distribution of updates, scheduled or on demand, to any number
of clients (who can be running a totally different database).  Best of all,
you can get it all running in a matter of minutes as opposed to days. :-)

You can download a fully functional eval from our web site if you want to give
it a try.

Cheers,

John Zollinger
V.P. Engineering
Sundog

"Enabling the Extended Enterprise"
http://www.sundog.com/

Best method to send rows to a remote db, without full replication

Post by Larr » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Bryan,

UDB's Data Replication mechanism allows you to selectively replicate. Take a
look at the DB2 UDB Replication Guide.

Post by Christopher Brow » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>    I would like some help on the following adventure.
>I have a table that has only certain rows that need to be sent to a remote
>table. This will happen on a recurring interval. Also, any emergency /
>priority record could be sent on demand.
>What is the best way accomplish this, with the least amount of work?

You may want to look into one of the database replication systems such
as:
 <http://www.datamirror.com> Data Mirror is perhaps the most direct
    vendor of replication software
 <http://www.datawarehousing.com/> Data Warehousing lists many
    relevant companies...
--
"You can only examine 10 levels of pushdown, because that's all the fingers
you have to stick in the listing."

Post by Mark A. Parson » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
>     I would like some help on the following adventure.
> I have a table that has only certain rows that need to be sent to a remote
> table. This will happen on a recurring interval. Also, any emergency /
> priority record could be sent on demand.
> What is the best way accomplish this, with the least amount of work?

Least amount of work from who's perspective?  And does cost have
anything to do with your decision?

Check out the other replies for suggestions on 3rd party replication
products (other than RepServer) ... nah, I don't know anything about
them ...

If you're looking to cook something up yourself ...

- set your primary dataserver up for remote access to your desired
target dataserver
- figure out how you want to flag your rows for replication (add a 'to
replicate' column? put the key in a 'to replicate' table?) ... and flag
them
- write a 'replication' stored proc which scoops up the rows to be
'replicated' and one-by-one does a remote 'insert' or stored proc call
(sp would do the insert) to the target dataserver
- verify the insert took affect and then update that 'to replicate' flag
for the given row (in case you want some sort of auditing)
- write an OS script which calls this 'replication' stored proc at
pre-determined/scheduled times

- for 'on demand' ... just mark the necessary row and call your
'replication' stored proc (maybe pass the key of the 'on demand' row
directly to the stored proc?

Issues to resolve ...

- do the rows need to be replicated in the same order in which they were
created, i.e., do you have to maintain your transactional consistency?
- if you include some sort of auditing ... will you need to periodically
'prune' your audit trail?
- how do you handle attempts to insert duplicates on the other end?
(how about calling a 'remote' proc on the target dataserver ... this
proc could check for a duplicate before inserting?)
- what happens if, somehow, multiple copies of your 'replication' stored
proc are called at the same time? (will you get duplicate inserts on the
far side? probably want to have some sort of intermediate status to show
that a row is 'being processed'?)
- if this replication system 'goes down' ... can it be started
gracefully, i.e., can it automatically figure out where it left off and
pick up from there ... or will it require human intervention?
- make sure you give yourself the ability to log and/or audit the system
... so that you can easily track down problems
- will you need the ability to re-synce from a point in the past?
(e.g., suppose the target goes down ... can you go back and re-flag
'old' rows on the primary for replication?)
- if you have a single source row going to multiple target locations ...
your 'to replicate' and auditing designs will have to address this issue

How fancy you get depends on how fancy you need to be ... or how
important it is to make sure rows get to the target end ... or how easy
(required?) it is to recover from a 'problem'?

How hard would it be to set something like this up?  Shouldn't be too
hard (depends on your isql, t-sql and OS scripting abilities) if you can
satisfactorily answer all (and more?) of the issues I've mentioned.

NOTE:  My comments are based on the Sybase product line ... I'm not sure
what you'd do in an IBM-DB2 environment (comp.databases.ibm-db2??) ??

--
Mark Parsons
Iron Horse Consulting, Ltd.

Best method to send rows to a remote db, without full replication

Post by esi.. » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi Bryan

One method I would suggest is that you use an intermediary tool such as
the Virtuoso Virtual Database. This will allow you to remotely link the
tables you are interested in from the different Database. Virtuoso will
provide you with a middle interface whereby you can write Stored
Procedures or triggers that will allow the type of replication you
desire without needing to do a full table replication.

For more info, why not visit the virtuoso site at
http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso

HTH

Best Regards

Quote:> Hi,
>     I would like some help on the following adventure.
> I have a table that has only certain rows that need to be sent to a
remote
> table. This will happen on a recurring interval. Also, any emergency /
> priority record could be sent on demand.
> What is the best way accomplish this, with the least amount of work?

> Thanks
> Bryan Webb

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Best method to send rows to a remote db, without full replication

Hi,
    I would like some help on the following adventure.
I have a table that has only certain rows that need to be sent to a remote
table. This will happen on a recurring interval. Also, any emergency /
priority record could be sent on demand.
What is the best way accomplish this, with the least amount of work?

Thanks
Bryan Webb

2. Newcomer to Foxpro - Need Help.

3. Send record to excel without header row in VB

4. Error -25588

5. HELP: Need Best Method to Export Full to Tape Device

6. Question Marks in SQL fields

7. Best method for remote data of Oracle database

8. Question on Connection to SQL Server

9. Best T-SQL method to remove rows

10. INSERTing rows... best method

11. Startup/Shutdown DB without full DBA privilages

12. Best Replication Method for..

13. Best method for fulltext and replication...?