Prevent horiz. grid scroll

Post by Rattlesnake S » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Maybe this is an ultimately dumb question (it feels like it, even
though I've spent hours looking for the answer), but in VFP 3.0 how
does one prevent a grid from scrolling horizontally when the focus
reaches the right-most column?  It looks dumb -- I have a 2-column
grid, and the grid is plenty wide enough to show all the data in both
columns.  But when I'm entering or editing a record and I move to the
right column, the grid contents scroll, showing not much of anything
to the right of the right-most column.  (It's not limited to the
2-column grid, that's just the first example that came to mind.)

What am I doing wrong?  I'll admit that my learning of VFP has been a
bit haphazard, as has my approach to the manuals been, but I have
definitely done a fair amount of reading related to this problem.  So
if you answer "RTFM" at least tell me *which* manual & page to look
up!

Thanks!

[  See my fractal face at http://tahoma.cwu.edu:2000/~whitmore         ]

Prevent horiz. grid scroll

Post by PNotariann » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Maybe this is an ultimately dumb question (it feels like it, even
> though I've spent hours looking for the answer), but in VFP 3.0 how
> does one prevent a grid from scrolling horizontally when the focus
> reaches the right-most column?  It looks dumb -- I have a 2-column
> grid, and the grid is plenty wide enough to show all the data in both
> columns.  But when I'm entering or editing a record and I move to the
> right column, the grid contents scroll, showing not much of anything
> to the right of the right-most column.  (It's not limited to the
> 2-column grid, that's just the first example that came to mind.)

> What am I doing wrong?  I'll admit that my learning of VFP has been a
> bit haphazard, as has my approach to the manuals been, but I have
> definitely done a fair amount of reading related to this problem.  So
> if you answer "RTFM" at least tell me *which* manual & page to look
> up!

> Thanks!

> [  See my fractal face at http://tahoma.cwu.edu:2000/~whitmore         ]

Hay Stuart!  I had the same problem. It drove me crazy.  Then
I learned that if I made the grid width just a couple pixles
wider, so that is bearly extends past the last column on the
right, magically the annoying behavior goes away.  What I would
do is open the form designer, select the grid object, and while
holding the Shift key, Right arrow 2 or 3 times.  This will
correct the problem.  I hope this helps.  PHIL

1. GRID: How to prevent moving in grid?

In my form, I am using a grid to input/edit data in a small table (2
fields). I have an ADD button which appends a blank record to the table
(buffered as optimistic row buffering) and enables a SAVE and a CANCEL
button to complete/cancel the ADD.

The problem I am having is that I can't seem to force the cursor to stay
in the last row of the grid when ADDing a record. When the user clicks
the ADD button, a new blank row is added to the bottom of the GRID and
the focus is placed on the first column in the last row with a

THISFORM.Grid1.Column1.SetFocus

for the user to enter the new record. The user can then click on the
SAVE or CANCEL button to complete the addition. The ADD does a
tableupdate(.t.) while the CANCEL does a tablerevert(.t.). However, the
user can still move to another record (say with a UP cursor key press)
which can be edited. This behavior seems inappropriate and I would like
to find some way of preventing the user from moving the edit cursor out
of the bottom (new) row.

Any ideas anyone? Thx in advance.

CHARLES LEE

p.s. Please email me a copy of your response...

2. Recordset Filter

3. Preventing record scrolling

4. Cannot create PreparedStatement on Jboss Connection Pool ....

5. Prevent scrolling past last record in tableFrame?

6. Jobs California, Orange County, Permanent

7. Preventing record scroll while in edit

8. unattended install SQL6.5

9. Prevent Portal from re-scrolling on exiting record?

10. Scrolling, scrolling, scrolling

11. query analyzer pegs processor on horizontal grid scroll

12. fetching data using a grid vertical scroll bar

13. Grid Vertical Scroll Bar