RFI: Soundex & Other Phonetic Matching Info

RFI: Soundex & Other Phonetic Matching Info

Post by Chuck Lampr » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm looking for info on the Soundex phonetic matching system as well as
any commercial implementations.

Thanks.

Chuck Lamprey

Post by Steve Grave » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

>I'm looking for info on the Soundex phonetic matching system as well as
>any commercial implementations.

>Thanks.

>Chuck Lamprey

Soundex is described in Knuth's algorithms, and there have been many
articles published over the years that have offered refinements to the
basic algorithm.  The specific magazines and issues escape me, but a
search at your local library ought to turn them up.  Also, look at
indexes for the telephony industry's trade pubs; Soundex is used heavily
in call center applications where operators are asked to connect someone
to "Jon Johnson".

If you don't turn anything up, send me mail and I'll try to contact some
folks that worked with me in the past on this stuff.

Post by Greg Sh » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

writes:

> I'm looking for info on the Soundex phonetic matching system as well as
> any commercial implementations.

> Thanks.

> Chuck Lamprey

Chuck,

I have December 1990 issue of Computer Language which details the soundex
algorithm and includes source code.  The source is in PICK BASIC and is
quite compact and simple.  Unfortnately, I do not have an electronic
version of it.  If you can't get it through any other avenue I could
probably snail mail it to you.

Lots of luck,

Cheers, Greg Shaw.