Open Road/ Printing

Post by Netscape Use » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Is anyone running Open Road on windows connecting via Ingres/Net to a Sun
unix server ?

How have you found it ?

Does it support a large number of users ?

How do you manage printing ? We currently control printing from the unix
server and would like to continue doing so. Is there any mechanism within
Open Road for windows whereby print commands can be passed back to the
server ?

Thanks for your help,

Ewan Kilgour

Analyst/Programmer                 |
University Offices                 |
University of Oxford               |
Wellington Square                  | Tel: +44 (0)1865 270071
Oxford    OX1 2JD                  | Fax: +44 (0)1865 270708

Open Road/ Printing

Post by Roberto Fabbretti 2723 » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi
there are two solutions for printing on the Unix server:

The first one is to have a PC to Unix connectivity package like pcnfs
which contains lpr or a windows utility like winlpr (I am not sure of
the name any more) which allow to submit a pritjob on the Unix server.
You can call this program from within OpenRoad with <CALL SYSTEM
commandstring>

The second solution is to store the file to print in the DB and then
with a rule or with a OpenRoad command raise a DBEVENT which activates a
daemon on the Unix server which then submits the printjob.

Good Luck

> Is anyone running Open Road on windows connecting via Ingres/Net to a Sun
> unix server ?

> How have you found it ?

> Does it support a large number of users ?

> How do you manage printing ? We currently control printing from the unix
> server and would like to continue doing so. Is there any mechanism within
> Open Road for windows whereby print commands can be passed back to the
> server ?

> Thanks for your help,

> Ewan Kilgour

Open Road/ Printing

Post by Elena Yatzec » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Is anyone running Open Road on windows connecting via Ingres/Net to a Sun
>unix server ?
>How have you found it ?
>Does it support a large number of users ?

We currently use OpenROAD front-ends running against a Sun Sparc 1000
(running solaris).  We have not had any problems with this configuration, and
we can support as many users as we are licensed for (something like
100 concurrent users on the server).  We have about 2500 in our total
user community, but they tend not to be logged in all at once.

Quote:

>How do you manage printing ? We currently control printing from the unix
>server and would like to continue doing so. Is there any mechanism within
>Open Road for windows whereby print commands can be passed back to the
>server ?

We are currently writing our own software to handle reports and printing.
We will be storing report requests in a database table and running a daemon
on the server to dispatch the requests.  Let me know if you are interested in
getting this from us when it is further along.  Our plan is to dispatch requests
from OpenROAD, run the reports on the server, and then provide the following
options for handling the output:

-Store to a file on the server
-Store to a file on the PC
-Print on a specified server printer
-Print from the PC
-Execute a system call to be executed on the server (to allow a script to be run
to handle customized output needs)
-Execute a system call to be executed on the PC
-View on the PC

A database event will be triggered when the report is done to alert the OpenROAD
program when the report is done being processed.  All of our OpenROAD apps will
be set up to query the table for unprocessed output on demand (and at
startup).  This
will provide backup for the case where the OpenROAD application is not running
when the report has finished.

Elena
--------
Elena M. Yatzeck, Lead Programmer