Btr 6.15 app in DOS window causing problems.

Btr 6.15 app in DOS window causing problems.

Post by Greg Alexande » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:49:18

I've got a Netware 3.2 server running with Btrieve 6.15. Dos6.2 connections
are fine.

I can load the same Btrieve dos programs in a dos session under win98 to get
connection for the DOS window (which is all I actually want).
Unfortunately not all my DOS apps work.

One of the programs crashes out, and kills the DOS window's netware
connections. Close the window and open a new one brings back the
connections.
I think it very likely that this isn't a Btrieve problem - rather my DOS
program
just doesn't want to run under win98.

However, the program runs fine on another win98 box that connects to
a Pervasive SQL server on Netware 5. In this case it uses the bdosstub
to connect. The notes on BTRBOX95 say it's a TCP/IP system which
won't help me (and my basic attempts have failed).

Does anyone have any idea how I might get around this problem.
I know the question is broad!

Thanks
Greg

Btr 6.15 app in DOS window causing problems.

Post by Gordo » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:01:06

Below......

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:49:18 +1100, "Greg Alexander"

>I've got a Netware 3.2 server running with Btrieve 6.15. Dos6.2 connections
>are fine.

Hard to break that setup :))

Quote:>I can load the same Btrieve dos programs in a dos session under win98 to get
>connection for the DOS window (which is all I actually want).
>Unfortunately not all my DOS apps work.

There are several issues on DOS applications under Windows. One of
those handles the fact that you can only load one protected mode
extender inside a DOSbox. It wouldn't be just the real mode
applications that run fine, would it?

Quote:>One of the programs crashes out, and kills the DOS window's netware
>connections. Close the window and open a new one brings back the
>connections.
>I think it very likely that this isn't a Btrieve problem - rather my DOS
>program
>just doesn't want to run under win98.

What client are you running on this workstation? Altghough it may seem
like overkill, you might want to try Novells client32 instead of
Microsoft client for Netware.

Quote:>However, the program runs fine on another win98 box that connects to
>a Pervasive SQL server on Netware 5. In this case it uses the bdosstub
>to connect. The notes on BTRBOX95 say it's a TCP/IP system which
>won't help me (and my basic attempts have failed).

Although BTRBOX was developed to enable the usage of TCP/IP for
Btrieve requests from a DOS application, it is not a TCP/IP system. In
essence, it as a Btrieve thunker that translates the DOS Btrieve
requests to WIN32 Btrieve requests. From that point, you can still
choose between TCP or SPX.

Quote:

>Does anyone have any idea how I might get around this problem.
>I know the question is broad!

>Thanks
>Greg

 Gordon Bos
 Q-RY Solutions
 +31-(0)15-2564035

 http://www.q-ry.nl/

Post by Heinz H?fli » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 04:40:47

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:49:18 +1100, "Greg Alexander"

>I've got a Netware 3.2 server running with Btrieve 6.15. Dos6.2 connections
>are fine.

>I can load the same Btrieve dos programs in a dos session under win98 to get
>connection for the DOS window (which is all I actually want).
>Unfortunately not all my DOS apps work.

>One of the programs crashes out, and kills the DOS window's netware
>connections. Close the window and open a new one brings back the
>connections.
>I think it very likely that this isn't a Btrieve problem - rather my DOS
>program
>just doesn't want to run under win98.

We use this setup with more than 100 Windows-Clients.
W95/A,/B W98 W98SE WNT4
We load the brequest.exe in the startup-Job  of the Application, not
in the Autoexec.  When a dos box crashed, in the new Dos-Box a new
brequest.exe will be loaded.
Also our Application do a Btr-Reset Operation in the Exit-Handler.
Wenn you use more than one Dos-Box at the same time with the same
Files, then you must use the Client32, the Microsoft Netware client
gives you random errors if uses use it with concurrent dos-boxes.

Quote:>However, the program runs fine on another win98 box that connects to
>a Pervasive SQL server on Netware 5. In this case it uses the bdosstub
>to connect. The notes on BTRBOX95 say it's a TCP/IP system which
>won't help me (and my basic attempts have failed).

>Does anyone have any idea how I might get around this problem.
>I know the question is broad!

>Thanks
>Greg

mfg
Heinz H?fling

Post by Greg Alexande » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:44:10

> >I can load the same Btrieve dos programs in a dos session under win98 to
get
> >connection for the DOS window (which is all I actually want).
> >Unfortunately not all my DOS apps work.

> There are several issues on DOS applications under Windows. One of
> those handles the fact that you can only load one protected mode
> extender inside a DOSbox. It wouldn't be just the real mode
> applications that run fine, would it?

The apps were compiled in VB1.0 for DOS a long while back.
We bought it so can't recompile. I imagine VB did all sorts of
tricks to stretch memory access?

Quote:> >One of the programs crashes out, and kills the DOS window's netware
> >connections. Close the window and open a new one brings back the
> >connections.
> >I think it very likely that this isn't a Btrieve problem - rather my DOS
> >program just doesn't want to run under win98.

> What client are you running on this workstation? Altghough it may seem
> like overkill, you might want to try Novells client32 instead of
> Microsoft client for Netware.

That's with Novell's client32. I'm now trying Microsoft's and it seems
to work. But I'm told I should avoid the MS client if possible.

Quote:> >However, the program runs fine on another win98 box that connects to
> >a Pervasive SQL server on Netware 5. In this case it uses the bdosstub
> >to connect. The notes on BTRBOX95 say it's a TCP/IP system which
> >won't help me (and my basic attempts have failed).

> Although BTRBOX was developed to enable the usage of TCP/IP for
> Btrieve requests from a DOS application, it is not a TCP/IP system. In
> essence, it as a Btrieve thunker that translates the DOS Btrieve
> requests to WIN32 Btrieve requests. From that point, you can still
> choose between TCP or SPX.

Thanks - at least I can try using the pervasive engine then!
(depending on how the MS client goes in testing)
Greg

1. Btr 6.15 Dos Requester question

I get the message BREQNT-10: The function IPXInitialize returned an
error.  I adjust the NT registry as per pervasives knowledge base.
Still has a problem though.  The DOS program resides on the NT (v4
w/sp6) server, the client just link through a shortcut to the mapped
network drive.   Thanks

2. Totally Free Internet Access

3. Dos app on NT accessing btrieve 6.15 problem

4. How do I access the values of the results index?

5. Pervasive 2000 and dos app for 6.15

6. DSS

7. DOS box/Btrieve 6.15/Windows 2000 hangs on tables with records longer than 1600 bytes

8. Partially restored File/ Thread Creation Failed

9. DOS Btrieve 6.15 & Windows 2000

10. Btrieve Engine 6.15 für DOS, Windows, OS/2 oder Win NT/95

11. Corrupt BTR-Table under Btrieve 6.15

12. Btr 6.15 with win95/netware 3.12: code 20