Q: Impromptu & progress ?

Post by Fre » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm looking for a real experience in connecting Impromptu on a Progress
Database.

Do you use ODBC interface or direct connection with Client/Networking ?
Is there other middleware that realy work with Progress ?
Does it work with Progress 6.3 and higher ?
Does it work with extend data type ?
Does it work if one of the column name contains a - (hyphen)
Is the answer time correct ?

Fred

1. 2 Qs: Column statistics & selectivity

1.  How are column statistics used?
I've read Inside SQL Server 7.0 several times now and I see the
sentences that talk about column statistics, but I can't figure out how
the optimizer could possibly ever use such statistics.  Are they used
only by Query Analyzer and Index Wizard to provide the "advice" that
indexes 'should' be created on certain columns?

2. Is the % index selectivity value a lot lower in 7.0 than it used to
be (didn't it used to be that if an index would return 20% or more of a
table, the optimizer would choose a table scan or another index).  Now
it seems that the selectivity is between 1 and 5%.

2. Some Info about RDO, ADO, DAO

3. 3 Qs about tracing & tkprof

4. jdbc Exception handling

5. Impromptu - reporting tool & sys.dbms_ijob.remove

6. Use Cast format Date question

7. Cognos Impromptu & Oracle client

8. Visual Basic/SQL-Retriever/Informix Limitations

9. Impromptu & PowerPlay Manuals

10. impromptu & xdb-sql rdbms

11. Impromptu - Effdt & Effseq

12. Ingres 6.4 & IMPROMPTU 4.01