MDDB Evaluation

Post by David Whittenber » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Below is the evaluation criteria my company (a large retailer) is using to
find a MDDB.  I would be interested in additional information for any
products that meet these criteria.

Selection criteria will include (not in order of importance):
1.  The operational performance.  Including load times on the server and
response on the client.
2.  The required hardware configuration.  Both the server and the client.
Specifically, how much disk space and memory are required on both
locations?  And what is the minimum client configuration and the preferred
configuration?
3.  The complexity of the database definition.  What is required to define
the structure of the database?
4.  The stability and history of the company.  The number of employees,
development staff and support staff.
5.  What is the installed base?  Who are some of the significant customers
and what type of DSS environment do they have?
6.  The future development plans.  What new enhancements and technologies
are being considered.  What is in the works and what is being considered?
How frequent are new releases?
7.  Compatibility with IBM SP's and the DB2 6000/PE DBMS and Informix DBMS.
8.  How much training for the user and the administrators is required and
what is the training availability, both on-site and off-site?
9.  Compatibility/Interface with other tools, such as Cognos PowerPlay, MS
Access, MS Excel, C++, Microfocus Cobol, SAS.
10.  Security levels and administration.
10.  Security levels and administration.
11.  Scalability.  What does it take to expand the database?
12.  Packaging.  How are the tools bundled, as one package or as separate
modules?

MDDB Evaluation

Post by George Spoffor » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Below is the evaluation criteria my company (a large retailer) is using to
> find a MDDB.  I would be interested in additional information for any
> products that meet these criteria.

> Selection criteria will include (not in order of importance):
> 1.  The operational performance.  Including load times on the server and
> response on the client.
> 2.  The required hardware configuration.  Both the server and the client.
> Specifically, how much disk space and memory are required on both
> locations?  And what is the minimum client configuration and the preferred
> configuration?
> 3.  The complexity of the database definition.  What is required to define
> the structure of the database?
> 4.  The stability and history of the company.  The number of employees,
> development staff and support staff.
> 5.  What is the installed base?  Who are some of the significant customers
> and what type of DSS environment do they have?
> 6.  The future development plans.  What new enhancements and technologies
> are being considered.  What is in the works and what is being considered?
> How frequent are new releases?
> 7.  Compatibility with IBM SP's and the DB2 6000/PE DBMS and Informix DBMS.
> 8.  How much training for the user and the administrators is required and
> what is the training availability, both on-site and off-site?
> 9.  Compatibility/Interface with other tools, such as Cognos PowerPlay, MS
> Access, MS Excel, C++, Microfocus Cobol, SAS.
> 10.  Security levels and administration.
> 11.  Scalability.  What does it take to expand the database?
> 12.  Packaging.  How are the tools bundled, as one package or as separate
> modules?

These are useful things to evaluate when investing in a product or
product line. With the
exception of criterion 7 (compatibility with IBM SP's, DB2 6000 and
Informix), none of the
criteria have thresholds attached- what are you looking for in each
area?

Related to item 3, you probably want to have a good idea who all of the
OLAP data consumers
are and what types of information they will need to see. Different
products make some kinds
of computations straightforward and other computations cumbersome if at
all possible.

If your users in different corporate areas have different needs
regarding types of analyses
to perform, requirements for load time vs response time, concurrent user
scalability, ability
to perform concurrent updates, etc., it may be that one system will be
effective for you, or
it may be that different users/applications warrant different systems
with different
characteristics.

George Spofford
Senior Partner
Dimensional Systems
http://www.dimsys.com

1. Need info on evaluation of DBMS /evaluation criteria

Urgent need of help....

I am writing a document on evaluation criteria to evaluate
DBMS such as sybase / oracle / informix.. etc...

I would ***REALLY*** appreciate any help in this matter.. If anyone has ]
information regardind any such studies/evaluations that have been carried out
or could provide criteria for evaluation of such DBMS,

Most federal agencies have done such evaluations and copies/material on
such evaluations and the criteria wud be greatly appreciated.

Even specifications of Sybase and Oracle and Informix wud be appreciated.
Specially if someone cud list features of the packages that are distinct.

Thanx in advance

Rohit

2. Consultant and Experts in Data Warehousing

3. Rollback Segement vs Redo log

4. SAS MDDB vs Microsoft OLAP

5. Stored Procedure issue

6. MDDB/MOLAP