VFP3.0, W95 - Views not Updating Source Tables

VFP3.0, W95 - Views not Updating Source Tables

Post by Tito » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,
        I'm beginning to experiment with views but I have a problem.  I have made
a local view of two tables which are contained in the same Database
Container as the view.  I used the View Designer to create this view.  My
problem is that when I update the view the Source Tables are not updated.
In the View Designer under the Update Criteria Tab, I clicked the fields
which I wanted updated (in the field name list) and the 'Send SQL Updates'
box.   However, when I browse the view and change a field in a record and
close it, go back and browse the source table, it is not updated.   I do
not understand, it think it should be working but it does not.

Also, I read that when a view is browsed it is recreated again from the
source tables, but when I browse my view again, the updates that I made to
the field is still there, shouldn't it not be there since the source
tables where never updated?

Please help.

Thanks
PS: Are view really useful?
I hope I did not confuse you guys/gals.

Post by Mark Ha » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>    I'm beginning to experiment with views but I have a problem.  I have made
>a local view of two tables which are contained in the same Database
>Container as the view.  I used the View Designer to create this view.  My
>problem is that when I update the view the Source Tables are not updated.
>In the View Designer under the Update Criteria Tab, I clicked the fields
>which I wanted updated (in the field name list) and the 'Send SQL Updates'
>box.   However, when I browse the view and change a field in a record and
>close it, go back and browse the source table, it is not updated.   I do
>not understand, it think it should be working but it does not.
>Also, I read that when a view is browsed it is recreated again from the
>source tables, but when I browse my view again, the updates that I made to
>the field is still there, shouldn't it not be there since the source
>tables where never updated?

The fact that the changes appear to have been made when you re-create
the view output suggests that the changes HAVE actually been made on
the source tables.
At what point are you looking for  the changes in the source tables?
If you run your view, change a value, make sure that you move the
record pointer off of the record that you changed, NOW check the
source tables.  You should see the changes.

HopeItHelps

Fox Developer / Trainer
My Fox Page:  http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~markh/fox.htm
Home of MenuLib.

VFP3.0, W95 - Views not Updating Source Tables

Post by Ken Har » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all,
>    I'm beginning to experiment with views but I have a problem.  I have made
>a local view of two tables which are contained in the same Database
>Container as the view.  I used the View Designer to create this view.  My
>problem is that when I update the view the Source Tables are not updated.
>In the View Designer under the Update Criteria Tab, I clicked the fields
>which I wanted updated (in the field name list) and the 'Send SQL Updates'
>box.   However, when I browse the view and change a field in a record and
>close it, go back and browse the source table, it is not updated.   I do
>not understand, it think it should be working but it does not.

  Views are really a great way to go.  We use them for almost
anything.  One real big advantage is that it gives networked apps a
big performance boost by reducing network traffic and they are also
very easy to upsize to a full blown client/server scenario.

  As for your problem...does your table have a "primary" index?  If it
can't decide which records to write to it can't post the changes back
up.  Also, if you are joining two tables in your view, you have to
give a key for BOTH tables.

        Ken Hardy
        Computer Software Solutions

1. VFP3.0, W95 - Initiating a Mail Session

Hello Everyone,
I have a program in Foxpro which creates an Excel worksheet, but I was
wondering how can I send it to someone as an email attachment from VFP?

I tried to use the mymail=createobject('Mapi Session') and I kept getting
an error message that said class not found or something like that.  I have
tried using 'Microsoft Mail' and 'Mail' instead of 'Mapi Session' and got
the same error message.  The VFP help on this topic really sucks (no
examples).

I don't want to use a form, I know that using a form I can visually place
OLE objects and the form and not worry about code but I want to do this in
code because I think it would be much easier.

Thank you.

2. Displaying wide variety in custom ranges using MDX

3. VFP3.0, W95 - How to determine if a form is within a form or formset

4. ASP-COM-ADOMD User Permission

5. VFP3.0, W95 - Formatting Columns on a Grid

6. QUERY - TABLEFRAME - MOUSE CLICK - What?????? - Pdox4.5 for win

7. VFP3.0, W95 - Bolding Captions on Page Tabs when they become active

8. Database Migration --> MS SQL Server to Informix

9. problem with long file names VFP3.0 and w95 and novell3.X

10. VFP3.0, W95 - Emailing queries of a result.

11. VFP3.0, W95 - Question about returning more than one value from a form

12. View not be Updated after Table struct has changed

13. VFP 6-Local view not updating table