Running external programs from within dBASE3+ application?

Running external programs from within dBASE3+ application?

Post by Graham Bra » Sat, 30 Mar 1991 15:21:18

Can someone tell me if it possible to run an external program from
within a dbase3+ application and then use the results to update a
database. An example of this would be to call up an external
database from within the application.

Cheers,
-Graham

Running external programs from within dBASE3+ application?

Post by 3030 » Wed, 03 Apr 1991 10:21:57

Quote:> Can someone tell me if it possible to run an external program from
> within a dbase3+ application and then use the results to update a
> database. An example of this would be to call up an external
> database from within the application.

> Cheers,
> -Graham

To run an external program within Dbase III+ all you need to do is
RUN <program>

        example:  RUN MYPROG

Note:  You will need to make sure that you have enough memory to do
        the RUN command.

Mike Barnes
(415) 224-3030

Post by Alan Min » Sat, 06 Apr 1991 16:11:48

> Can someone tell me if it possible to run an external program from
> within a dbase3+ application and then use the results to update a
> database. An example of this would be to call up an external
> database from within the application.

While it is not particularly efficient (compared to dBase LOAD, etc),
the RUN command will run any external program, script (or batch) file,
etc.

We use it to put a Foxbase+ user interface on a relatively complex
matrix calculator written in C. The matrix is exported to a .txt file, the
C program is run to massage the file, the results are written to
a second file, then Foxbase+ is used to import the file back into a database.

USE input
COPY TO infile.txt TYPE SDF
RUN c_prog && Turns infile into outfile
USE output
APPEND FROM outfile.txt TYPE SDF

< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034 >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995 >
< 10384 Hillside Road       | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan  >

1. how to load an external program within VB

Hi,

To associate the hlp file with your project, you should specify the App
object's HelpFile property. We can invoke the API function to show the hlp
file. Here are some sample codes for your reference:

Private Declare Function OSWinHelp% Lib "user32" Alias "WinHelpA" (ByVal
hwnd&, ByVal HelpFile$, ByVal wCommand%, dwData As Any)

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim nRet As Integer

If Len(App.HelpFile) = 0 Then
    MsgBox "Unable to display Help Contents. There is no Help associated
with this project.", vbInformation, Me.Caption
Else
    On Error Resume Next
    nRet = OSWinHelp(Me.hwnd, App.HelpFile, 3, 0)
    If Err Then
        MsgBox Err.Description
    End If
End If

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
App.HelpFile = "d:\T2ADMIN.hlp"
End Sub

Regards,
-Charles

2. i need oledb and ado only-not mdac

3. Sample Program(Inventory.sln) does not run

4. Use I4GL 4.0 with Dynamic Workgroup Server?

5. Run Queries From External File From Within MySQL

6. INSERT code does not add a row

7. Trigger runs an external program?

8. run external program

9. external programs run on insert?

10. Running external programs

11. Running external programs with ShellAPI