Book numbers - ISBN database sought

Post by Richard Weav » Wed, 09 Feb 1994 16:13:39

Hi,

Help on ISBNs please.   Can anyone advise me where to
locate the description of these identifying numbers ?

Please advise if another newsgroup seems better for this.

Most recent books include an ISBN with a corresponding barcode.

I would particularly like to know whether the tenth
significant character comprises a  "check digit"
and if so, what formula is used to verify it.

That character is either  'X'  or in the range 0-9,
so maybe there is a  "modulo eleven" in the formula ?

I would also like to find a database which will
decode the first portion of the ISBN to yield
the name of the publisher:  e.g.  -

0 00    -       Collins
0 02    -       Macmillan (Free Press)
0 07    -       McGraw-Hill
0 08    -       Pergamon
0 09    -       Random House
0 12    -       Academic Press (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich)
0 14    -       Penguin
0 17    -       Nelson
0 19    -       OUP
0 304   -       Cassell
0 330   -       Picador (Pan)
0 340   -       Edward Arnold (Hodder & Stoughton)
0 385   -       Doubleday (Transworld)
0 443   -       Churchill Livingstone
0 521   -       CUP
0 586   -       Paladin (Collins)
0 632   -       Blackwell
0 642   -       Aust. Trade Comm'n (CoA)
0 644   -       Aust. Gov't Pub Service (CoA)
0 67    -       Viking
0 7216  -       WB Saunders
0 7318  -       Simon & Schuster
0 7506  -       Butterworth Heinemann
0 85835 -       Bay Books
0 85859 -       Heinemann
0 86068 -       Virago
0 909337        Adis
0 949757        Macquarie Library
1 55542 -       Jossey-Bass
1 85170 -       Studio Editions
1 86373 -       Allen & Unwin

Any pointers will be appreciated.   Please e-mail as well,
if you decide to post.   I'll summarize by e-mail or post,
as requested.

        Richard Weaver.

+

1. Tuning book ISBN: The ISBN: 0078824346. The book is 900 pages...

The book is 900 pages (contrary to what's on Amazon).  Includes the following
in the table of contents:

Chapter 1       Over A Decade of Tuning Experience...summary all chapters
Chapter 2       Basic Index Principles
Chapter 3       Disk I/O and Fragmentation
Chapter 4       Tuning the init.ora
Chapter 5       Enterprise Manager and Tuning Pack
Chapter 6       Using EXPLAIN PLAN, TRACE, and TKPROF
Chapter 7       Basic Hint Syntax
Chapter 8       Query Tuning
Chapter 9       Table Joins and Other Advance Query Tuning
Chapter 10      Using PL/SQL to Enhance Performance
Chapter 11      Using Parallel Feature to Improve Performance
Chapter 12            Oracle8 New Feature Example
Chapter 13      Oracle8 and 8I New Tips
Chapter 14      The v$ Views
Chapter 15      The x$ Tables
Chapter 16      Using and Interpreting ULTESTAT/ULTBSTAT
Chapter 17      Performing a Quick System Review
Chapter 18      Monitor the System Using UNIX Utilities
Appendix A           All documented and undocumented init.ora's
Appendix B           All V7 & V8 V$ views
Appendix C           All V7 & V8 x$ tables

2. production java/postgresql

3. Performance Tuning book out... ISBN 0078824346

4. Totalling DBGrid Columns

5. Converting Book Code to ISBN

6. How To AUTO update CUBE data after DW Data is changed

7. ISBN coding and book titles wanted

8. Help: Sqlplus glogin setting

9. ISBN of books, help!

10. ISBN for book