Duplicate database.....

Post by Manoj.Shah.. » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am using a Ingres(6.4/VMS) database of size 8-10GB for online
transactions.
Also there are 5/6 other applications(non-ingres), which requires data
from this database. These applications take this data thru many of ways
such as ODBC/data capture engine, data exported from Ingres. These data
extraction by many of sources from Ingres database makes my OLTP very
much slow.
I want to refresh my applications data on daily basis without affecting
the OLTP. For this purpose, I want something like replicator (as I am
using 6.4) which will replicate the all data from Ingres OLTP database to
a another database which will be used as source for data for non-ingres
applications. This duplicate database will be the source for all
applications, & which will be refreshed on daily basis. Unload/reload is
not suitable for me as it is a huge database. The applications are
Intranet/internet/Warehousing solutions, so they can fetch data from
anywhere (regardless of OS), so I want a optimum method to achive this
functionality.

All suggesstions are welcome in this regard.

TIA.

 -Manoj

Duplicate database.....

Post by George Wan » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If you put the duplicate database on another machine, you can create one
database with same name and configure on the second machine, then copy
checkpoint, dmp, journal and aaaaaaaa.cnf (from dmp directory) over, use
rollforwarddb to restore the production database.

If the duplicate database has to be on same box, you can do so but you need
to use binary edit to change the database name inside aaaaaaaa.cnf.

Hope it will help.

George Wang

Quote:

>Hi,

>I am using a Ingres(6.4/VMS) database of size 8-10GB for online
>transactions.
>Also there are 5/6 other applications(non-ingres), which requires data
>from this database. These applications take this data thru many of ways
>such as ODBC/data capture engine, data exported from Ingres. These data
>extraction by many of sources from Ingres database makes my OLTP very
>much slow.
>I want to refresh my applications data on daily basis without affecting
>the OLTP. For this purpose, I want something like replicator (as I am
>using 6.4) which will replicate the all data from Ingres OLTP database to
>a another database which will be used as source for data for non-ingres
>applications. This duplicate database will be the source for all
>applications, & which will be refreshed on daily basis. Unload/reload is
>not suitable for me as it is a huge database. The applications are
>Intranet/internet/Warehousing solutions, so they can fetch data from
>anywhere (regardless of OS), so I want a optimum method to achive this
>functionality.

>All suggesstions are welcome in this regard.

>TIA.

> -Manoj

Duplicate database.....

Post by smai.. » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

What about if you want to use the ckecpoint for the test installion
where you have differnt owner and differnt logicals for disks. I guess
you can use binary editor to change all these settings. Is this
correct ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/