Compacting an Access Database

Post by Jim » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:28:42

Can anyone elaborate on the process of "compacting" a MS Access 97
database?  I have enherited an Access 97 database that was 216MB.  When I
ran the compacting utility in Access the size of the MDB file was reduced
to 20MB.
1)can anyone tell me why there is such a dramatic change in the size of
the file,
2)why is compacting necessary.  I noticed thtat the 20MB file that had
been compacted started to grow in size steadily and with the addition of
new records - I am wondering why.

Thanks,
Jim

Compacting an Access Database

Post by Garp » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:35:59

According to the technical info I've been given, Access sets aside data
space for each field of each record, using the maximum figures from the
design.  It does this when the record is accessed and doesn't release it
until the database is compacted.  The most dramatic reduction I've ever seen
was 1.5GB down to 300Mb!
--
Garp
"Perfection is boring, Normalcy sucks and if life was easy it wouldn't be a

Quote:> Can anyone elaborate on the process of "compacting" a MS Access 97