D3/NT vme restores

Post by dali » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 07:17:12

Any VARS/Developers out there offering support to their customers and
finding themselves doing a large volumens of vme restores on d3/nt
7.1.4, 7.2.0, 7.2.1 running on windows?

RD always says the vme will get eaten away when users don't logoff
properly, the vme is abruptly stopped, and basically processes aren't
terminated properly and their space returned to the overflow.

Anyone have any added insight?  Tricks that may lesson this burdon.

D3/NT vme restores

Post by David Knigh » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 08:22:14

99% of my sites are D3/NT; and yes the vme empties every so often.

Was worse on 7.1.x; and is a lot better on 7.2. Causes:
#1. Not logging off before closing desktop terminal emulator.
# 2. Not stopping the D3 VME *before* shutting down NT. Of course this
includes unscheduled shutdowns.
#3. Printer issues. ie: spooler job aimed at NT printer, where the NT
spooler had a problem.

What we've done:
1. Introduced a 'time-out' feature that logs users off after a nominated #
of minutes. Also useful for sites with small licences but many users.
2. Made sure printers are created correctly.
3. At some sites, the NT guru created a shutdown routine that stopped D3
first. Dunno how he did it.
4. Made it simple for the users to do a D3 VME backup, and a D3 VME restore.
5. Nagged the users!
6. Upgrade to 7.2
7. Make sure NT is sp 6a

Seems to work most of the time!

HTH

David

Quote:> Any VARS/Developers out there offering support to their customers and
> finding themselves doing a large volumens of vme restores on d3/nt
> 7.1.4, 7.2.0, 7.2.1 running on windows?

> RD always says the vme will get eaten away when users don't logoff
> properly, the vme is abruptly stopped, and basically processes aren't
> terminated properly and their space returned to the overflow.

> Anyone have any added insight?  Tricks that may lesson this burdon.

> Thanks,

D3/NT vme restores

Post by Ross Ferr » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:42:32

I share your pain !!

As David has suggested, we have found the 7.2.1 release to be the best
so far (currently* out to try the 8.0 Beta). Whilst we still
have a few sites left on D3/NT we found the best way to solve their
problems was to migrate to D3/Linux !!!

Sad, but true

Would also suggest you take a copy of the VME "blob" - that way when
it craps out you can just shutdown D3 and overwrite the current one
with your copy ! Just make sure you take a new copy whenever something
important happens (like adding new VME accounts !!)

> Any VARS/Developers out there offering support to their customers and
> finding themselves doing a large volumens of vme restores on d3/nt
> 7.1.4, 7.2.0, 7.2.1 running on windows?

> RD always says the vme will get eaten away when users don't logoff
> properly, the vme is abruptly stopped, and basically processes aren't
> terminated properly and their space returned to the overflow.

> Anyone have any added insight?  Tricks that may lesson this burdon.

> Thanks,

D3/NT vme restores

Post by Joe » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 22:04:58

Quote:> 99% of my sites are D3/NT; and yes the vme empties every so
> often.

> Was worse on 7.1.x; and is a lot better on 7.2. Causes:
> #1. Not logging off before closing desktop terminal emulator.
> # 2. Not stopping the D3 VME *before* shutting down NT. Of
> course this includes unscheduled shutdowns.
> #3. Printer issues. ie: spooler job aimed at NT printer, where
> the NT spooler had a problem.

> What we've done:
> 1. Introduced a 'time-out' feature that logs users off after a
> nominated # of minutes. Also useful for sites with small
> licences but many users. 2. Made sure printers are created
> correctly. 3. At some sites, the NT guru created a shutdown
> routine that stopped D3 first. Dunno how he did it.

this.  HTH.

Regards,
Joe

> 4. Made it simple for the users to do a D3 VME backup, and a D3
> VME restore. 5. Nagged the users!
> 6. Upgrade to 7.2
> 7. Make sure NT is sp 6a

> Seems to work most of the time!

> HTH

> David

>> Any VARS/Developers out there offering support to their
>> customers and finding themselves doing a large volumens of vme
>> restores on d3/nt 7.1.4, 7.2.0, 7.2.1 running on windows?

>> RD always says the vme will get eaten away when users don't
>> logoff properly, the vme is abruptly stopped, and basically
>> processes aren't terminated properly and their space returned
>> to the overflow.

>> Anyone have any added insight?  Tricks that may lesson this
>> burdon.

>> Thanks,

1. D3 FSI to VME Restore

We want to move some production accounts (small ones) back from the FSI to
the VME.

Will the file-save (a and deleting the accounts with the file manager do the
trick?

This is because NT-resize problems - we use the old f-resize and works like
a a charm on AIX/SCO D3

Thanks Nick

2. HELP! Help to choose DATABASE!

3. D3/NT VME space problems

4. Comparisons

5. D3 ODBC and VME deaths on NT

6. informix limitations (globally) against to ORACLE, SQL SErv and so on.

7. D3/NT VME startup problem

8. password to access site Oracle Applications

9. Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

10. be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

11. disk performance using FSI on D3/NT is slower than VME

12. d3/nt VME items to dos/window?

13. Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)