The Pick dbms

Post by James Frederick Seam » Sat, 05 Oct 1991 01:00:06

Why is there never any mention of my favorite dbms on this group. You
all bash Ingress, Oracle, and A/T (not Borland), but I never see mention
if the Pick dbms model.

The reason I want to bring up the subject is that it seems with the
purchase of A/T by Borland, things have been very quiet in this group.

Standard disclaimers apply

--
+--------------------------+-----------------------------+-------------------+
|   /////\\\               | Direct to WWIV bbs, user#1  | Surf till you die |

The Pick dbms

Post by Kermit Tensmey » Mon, 07 Oct 1991 07:37:32

Quote:>Why is there never any mention of my favorite dbms on this group. You
>all bash Ingress, Oracle, and A/T (not Borland), but I never see mention
>if the Pick dbms model.

>The reason I want to bring up the subject is that it seems with the
>purchase of A/T by Borland, things have been very quiet in this group.

>Standard disclaimers apply

        Most likly the two major reasons are

        1)      People using PICK don't have time for net access.

        2)      Once Pick is up and running, no one ever has any
                problems with it.

        It is better than most of the dbase clones, but not near
        as good as a real :-< database.

--
Kermit Tensmeyer                                  | Intergraph Corporation
SomeWhere in the South (it's a Civilized place)   | "It's only MY opinion"

The Pick dbms

Post by Marc » Tue, 08 Oct 1991 12:01:52

>>Why is there never any mention of my favorite dbms on this group. You
>>all bash Ingress, Oracle, and A/T (not Borland), but I never see mention
>>if the Pick dbms model.

>    Most likly the two major reasons are

>    1)      People using PICK don't have time for net access.

Considering the steep learning curve I found with the PROC and ACCESS
statements, it's no wonder.  But as Sike (??) says, "Don't use proc and
access, use PICK Basic"
(Yes, it does use BASIC)

Pick as an OS is, well, different.  It aslo has a VAR following.

Quote:>    2)      Once Pick is up and running, no one ever has any
>            problems with it.

>    It is better than most of the dbase clones, but not near
>    as good as a real :-< database.

Agreed.  With such a small following, it's role shall always be a minor
one.  It's lack of exposure here says to me my feelings about PICK are
not alone.

--

my problem!     If it was said on UseNet, it must be true.
   Unix - It's a nice place to live, but you don't want to visit there.

The Pick dbms

Post by Geoff Mill » Tue, 08 Oct 1991 09:08:32

>    Most likly the two major reasons are
>    1)      People using PICK don't have time for net access.

Running Pick as the OS (rather than Pick as software) has one major
drawback, and that is poor communications;  it isn't so much lack of
time as lack of facilities.  The other consideration is that many
Pick sites don't need the technical experts who worry about net access
anyway  -  it's that easy to run.

Quote:>    2)      Once Pick is up and running, no one ever has any
>            problems with it.

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but as I said you don't need a massive
technical staff to run a Pick box.

Quote:>    It is better than most of the dbase clones, but not near
>    as good as a real :-< database.

"Real" database?  You mean one of the pseudo-relational, resource-hungry
monsters that people keep complaining reporting problems with on
comp.databases?

Computer Centre                     |   make you shoot at tax collectors  -
Australian Defence Force Academy    |   and miss.  (Robert Heinlein)

The Pick dbms

Post by Jerry M. Carl » Wed, 09 Oct 1991 00:27:32

>>        2)      Once Pick is up and running, no one ever has any
>>                problems with it.

OH? Have they done away with GROUP FORMAT ERRORS? Is resetting MODULO
and SEPARATION no longer needed? And of course, from your statement
that "no one EVER has ANY problems" one can infer that it is NOW 100% bug
free? :-)???

--

To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe.

The Pick dbms

Post by Roger MacNic » Wed, 09 Oct 1991 05:00:08

Quote:>Why is there never any mention of my favorite dbms on this group. You
>all bash Ingress, Oracle, and A/T (not Borland), but I never see mention
>if the Pick dbms model.

Since Pick could be considered the *original* nested relation dbms, why
don't the nested relation (non-first normal form, complex object) gurus
ever mention Pick? Have they even heard of this $2billion industry? Are there
any people interested in nested relations on the net?

--
 Roger MacNicol, Software Engineer
 Vmark Software, Inc., 5 Strathmore Road, Natick, MA  01760, USA

 Phone: (508) 655-3700, Fax: (508) 655-8395

The Pick dbms

Post by Harold Hambri » Thu, 10 Oct 1991 02:42:40

>>>    2)      Once Pick is up and running, no one ever has any
>>>            problems with it.

> OH? Have they done away with GROUP FORMAT ERRORS? Is resetting MODULO
> and SEPARATION no longer needed? And of course, from your statement
> that "no one EVER has ANY problems" one can infer that it is NOW 100% bug
> free? :-)???

It depends on which version of PICK you are running on. On several of the
PICK dedicated computers, GFE's hardly ever happen anymore, and on the UNIX
versions, such as UNIVERSE, there is no such thing as a GFE.  As for modulo
and seperation, yes on most versions of PICK you have to specify them, but on
PRIME versions and the UNIVERSE version, you can have dynamically allocated
files which shrink and grow as needed without the need to keep resizing the
file.

And what program or O/S is ever 100% bug free?

I am a little prejiduce to PICK as I have been working with PICK for over 11
years, and have very little experience with other O/S's and/or database
programs.

> --

> To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe.

--

1. PICK dbms/os on UNIX

I'm seeing a demo of the Advance Library System, which
uses PICK running on UNIX, using Univers, I think.  Does anyone have any
opinions on the wisdom or "non-wisdom" of running PICK on Unix inthis
manner...  or any comments on PICK for that matter.

I hope I'm not addressing this to the wrong newsgroup.  If there's a
more appropriate place to ask this question, please tell me by e-mail.

[I support computing applications within the Princeton University
Libraries.]

Phil

2. US-CA-Bay Area --> SAS MVS JCL Programmers Please

3. Picking correct DBMS

4. Windows limits in the number of files and directories

5. sum

6. How to pick a DBMS

7. How to access to a VIEW of SQL-Server by ODBC (jet)

8. DBMS 26 or DBMS 27 error

9. Web fronted DBMS vs. DBMS backed web

11. Please recommand some newsgroups about spatial dbms and spatiotemporal dbms

12. To DBMS or not to DBMS