optimizedb -i warning

Post by r » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

When I load optimizer statistics from a text file( optimizedb -i ), I get a
lot of warning messages. What does it mean? Is there anything wrong with the
file? It seems the values in the file are not compliant with the tables. But
the text file is just generated by "statdump" from the same database and I
change nothing of these tables since the statdump.
The messages are like:
W_OP0991        The repetition factor value ` 10480000.00000e-007' specified
forcolumn `ADRQ_REQUEST_DATETIME' in table `ADRQ_ADMISSION_REQUEST' is not
sufficiently close to tuple count divided by number of unique values.

W_OP095F        The unique flag value `Y' specified for column `CUM_CUST_ID'
in table `AN_CUMCUST' does not conform to optimizer rules.

optimizedb -i warning

Post by Peter Ga » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Rm,

The first warning has always come out for as long as I can remember. If you
do the maths you will probably find that the number quoted is pretty much
the same as the tuple count/unique values. Just how close it needs to be to
stop the warning I do not now. I ignore this warning as a matter of routine.

The second one I have not seen before but that's perhaps because I don't set
the complete flag too often but I would suspect it is equally unimportant.

Perhaps Doug Inkster can shed some light?

Regards,

Peter Gale
Director
PJG Computer Services Ltd
+44 (0)1398 341491 (o)
+44 (0)7831 513181 (m)

http://www.pjg.uk.com/

When I load optimizer statistics from a text file( optimizedb -i ), I get a
lot of warning messages. What does it mean? Is there anything wrong with the
file? It seems the values in the file are not compliant with the tables. But
the text file is just generated by "statdump" from the same database and I
change nothing of these tables since the statdump.
The messages are like:
W_OP0991        The repetition factor value ` 10480000.00000e-007' specified
forcolumn `ADRQ_REQUEST_DATETIME' in table `ADRQ_ADMISSION_REQUEST' is not
sufficiently close to tuple count divided by number of unique values.

W_OP095F        The unique flag value `Y' specified for column `CUM_CUST_ID'
in table `AN_CUMCUST' does not conform to optimizer rules.

optimizedb -i warning

Post by Inkster, Dougl » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

The 0991 error seems to be quite common when loading statistics from an
external file. It just means that the value of the repetition factor in the
file doesn't quite tally with the value computed from the histogram counts.
It is a sanity check, but seems to often run afoul of floating point
roundoff. I guess we should fix it to be a little more selective before
printing.

The 095F is also a sanity check. The "unique" flag is set during the
original histogram build if 90% or more of the rows have a distinct value in
the column. If the value of sunique on the iistatistics catalog is manually
overriden, or again because possible floating point rounding problems change
the recomputed value, the flag in the file being loaded may be found to be
inconsistent with the data.

In both cases, the messages are warnings and the data is still stored as it
was in the external file. In particular, the unique flag is stored as
displayed in the file, even if the 095F warning is issued.

Doug.

1. Unusual warning message from optimizedb on Ingres II 2.5

Has anyone experienced this warning message - and can anyone enlighten
me as to its cause ?  The ingres messages file says to ignore it, but
I'd like to know more ........
Thanks, Mark.

$ optimizedb db01     -rtbl01
W_OP0964        UPDATE or DELETE statement does not have the WHERE
clause.
[...]

2. Newsgroup Help

3. WARNING WARNING WARNING

4. Changing the Date data type format

5. transfer completed with warnings - where are warnings?

6. Update with constraint

7. some optimizedb stuff

8. Consulting, permanent or partnering opportunities

9. Problem with optimizedb when run thru crontab

10. Optimizedb errors E_LQ0040 & E_LC002B

11. Use of statistics and optimizedb

12. Predicting Optimizedb Execution Times

13. Re Optimizedb/Statdump