Performance Issues

Post by Chris » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:18:44

Hi Group

100 User site with dual CPU's 512 MB Ram. D3 7.2.1 , RH 7.2. Twice or
more a week we have to reboot the system as performance dies. I am
wondering if anyone else out there has had similar issues with a similar
configuration. Has RH7.2 got severe memory leaks. A top shows that out
of 512 mb ram there is on 40+mb available. Any ideas / comments most
welcome.

Cheers

Performance Issues

Post by Ross Ferr » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:15:27

My understanding is that

1) D3 "takes" all of the memory that has been allocated to it at
startup

2) TOP doesn't work real well with INDIVIDUAL D3 process threads ...
seems to show "crazy" memory figures at times

3) What are your files sizes like in D3 ... poorly sized files in this
environment can have a dramatic impact ... transaction files growing
during the week ?

4) If all else fails, can you roll back to the "supported" RH7.1
platform (or call your local distributor :-)

> Hi Group

> 100 User site with dual CPU's 512 MB Ram. D3 7.2.1 , RH 7.2. Twice or
> more a week we have to reboot the system as performance dies. I am
> wondering if anyone else out there has had similar issues with a similar
> configuration. Has RH7.2 got severe memory leaks. A top shows that out
> of 512 mb ram there is on 40+mb available. Any ideas / comments most
> welcome.

> Cheers

Performance Issues

Post by Dmitry Popk » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:42:00

> My understanding is that

> 1) D3 "takes" all of the memory that has been allocated to it at
> startup

> 2) TOP doesn't work real well with INDIVIDUAL D3 process threads ...
> seems to show "crazy" memory figures at times

> 3) What are your files sizes like in D3 ... poorly sized files in this
> environment can have a dramatic impact ... transaction files growing
> during the week ?

> 4) If all else fails, can you roll back to the "supported" RH7.1
> platform (or call your local distributor :-)

> > Hi Group

> > 100 User site with dual CPU's 512 MB Ram. D3 7.2.1 , RH 7.2. Twice or
> > more a week we have to reboot the system as performance dies. I am
> > wondering if anyone else out there has had similar issues with a similar
> > configuration. Has RH7.2 got severe memory leaks. A top shows that out
> > of 512 mb ram there is on 40+mb available. Any ideas / comments most
> > welcome.

> > Cheers

Unfortunalty, RDBMS D3 (NT or Linux/PROPlus) has not a mechanism of
arvicate
service log file (as record in TCL-STACK, POINTER-FILE and others)
You have to do yourself manual or using PICK/BASIC Program which It
will be clear these files. Why RD doesn't undestand it? The OVF
Cleaner or OVF reconfig inside D3, and which works in an work hours
Why not ?

And I add follow I MUST refragmentation D3 ovf space, very easy way
 file-save and D3 /restore, variant hot-back-up works but It has
several OF problems and e.t.c, but You can try in the first
hot-back-up

AND YOU REMEMBER 15-20% free RDMS disk space is a VERY HARD SIGNAL of
reconfiguration your system.

I add, install D3 RDBMS as separate disk partion (signature d8), this
way helps increase performance your system, usually

1 Unix native xxx GB.
2 Unix swap   xxx GB.
3 D3 RDBMS    xxx GB.
4 Unix extended-
 5 /usr       xxx
 6 /var/log/  xxx
 7 /home      xxx
 8 ....
 n ...
other disk space I cut 1950 Mb. (Future devices for D3)

And again check module all often using D3 file

regards
 Dmitry

PICK/BASIC's shareware progs
   http://d3zsoft.newmail.ru/D3ZServer/eng/ShareWareProgs.html

I use a same Linux disk structure more 3+ years and say It works good.

1. OPENROWSET performance issue or SET FMTONLY OFF issue

I apologize if someone has already got this answer posted and answered
here, but I could not find it with the search I was using.  So here it
is (if it is redundant):

We are using SELECT * INTO #temp OPENROWSET (SET FMTONLY OFF EXEC
sp_name) in a short-hand version but you get the idea.  From time to
time, and for specific user, this is extremely slow and it actually
hangs for 4 mins.  Then for some period of time, for the same user, it
executes without problems.  The stored procedure called 'sp_name' has
#temp tables created within so we had to use SET FMTONLY OFF in order
not to get dreaded 'Invalid object name ...' error.  Now what is going
on behind the scenes to make OPENROWSET slow?  Does SET FMTONLY OFF
causes perf issues or are there issues with using this option and ADO
- SQLOLEDB?  Is there any other solution for #temp tables and
OPENROWSET issue?  Can you share any info that can help me?

Thanks,
Tigger

2. Testing ability to post for JB

3. Performance issues with IN (.....)

4. Non-Hierarchal Dimensions

5. SQL Server 7.0 performance issues

6. clustering newbie question

7. Query problem - serious performance issues. PLEASE HELP

8. US-CO-JAVA ARCHITECTS - 012PROS

9. Performance issue

10. Performance issues with linked Oracle database

11. Database Design and Performance Issue

12. performance issues in SQL Server

13. 6.5 7.0 Upgrade SQL Server Performance Issues Stored Procedure