MAC Fox Pro query

Post by John Littlefie » Sun, 19 Jun 1994 09:56:53

There are always many good things about applications that gain momentum and
popularity, but I would like feedback on the problems you have encountered
with Fox Pro and Fox Pro's Developer's version.  I am comparing DBMS's for
departmental use and would find information about the limitations/drawbacks
of this database system very useful.

Please feel free to send email directly to me, or by posting replies to
this message.  Please be as specific as possible.

Thank you!

--
John C. Littlefield III          512/ 444-0854

Austin,  TX  78745
The views expressed are personal and are not those of MCC, this news
server, or anyone else, whether expressed or implied!

MAC Fox Pro query

Post by Richard G. Smit » Sat, 25 Jun 1994 00:51:39

>   Subject: MAC Fox Pro query
>There are always many good things about applications that gain momentum
and
>popularity, but I would like feedback on the problems you have
encountered
>with Fox Pro and Fox Pro's Developer's version.  I am comparing DBMS's
for
>departmental use and would find information about the

limitations/drawbacks

Quote:>of this database system very useful.

The documentation from Microsoft is lame.  There are no third party books
out there (and I've looked pretty hard), presumably because it is a
fairly recent port.  I see a few Mac-specific posts in this newsgroup,
with no replies, which tells me that a lot of newbies are fumbling around
in the dark on the Mac side for lack of anyone having learned it well
enough to teach it.

As far as the development environment itself, it looks just fine from the
surface, which is where I've pretty much been stuck since I started using
it.  You can quickly cobble together a simple database, but in my case I
ended up butting my head against the wall when I found out that a lot of
what I needed to do required custom coding.  I still consider myself a
newbie, but I have puzzled through enough to get my job done.

It's fast, and when Apple gets its sh!t together and releases OpenDoc,
then Microsoft will be able to put out a client-server architecture,
which right now is the only speed advantage that 4D has over FP.

MAC Fox Pro query

Post by Steve Kanefs » Sun, 26 Jun 1994 11:03:09

>>   Subject: MAC Fox Pro query
>>There are always many good things about applications that gain momentum
>and
>>popularity, but I would like feedback on the problems you have
>encountered
>>with Fox Pro and Fox Pro's Developer's version.  I am comparing DBMS's
>for
>>departmental use and would find information about the
>limitations/drawbacks
>>of this database system very useful.

>The documentation from Microsoft is lame.  There are no third party books
>out there (and I've looked pretty hard), presumably because it is a
>fairly recent port.  I see a few Mac-specific posts in this newsgroup,
>with no replies, which tells me that a lot of newbies are fumbling around
>in the dark on the Mac side for lack of anyone having learned it well
>enough to teach it.

The reason you see so few Mac-specific posts is because there are so few
Mac-specific issues.  Cross-platform compatability is pretty good.  I use
the Mac, Windows, and DOS versions every day.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy
a FoxPro for Windows book if you want to learn Fox.  Heck, even a FoxPro
2.0 for DOS book will teach you most of what you need to know, and the
rest you can get from the reference manual.

Quote:>It's fast, and when Apple gets its sh!t together and releases OpenDoc,
>then Microsoft will be able to put out a client-server architecture,
>which right now is the only speed advantage that 4D has over FP.

Don't hold your breath for Microsoft to support OpenDoc.  They have their
own competing (and inferior) "standard" called OLE2.  I'm not sure either
one has much to do with a client-server database architecture, however.

--
Steve Kanefsky

1. shared library manager problem on Mac + Fox Pro 2.6

Fox Pro 2.6 on my Mac Centris 650 won't Beautify a program, because it
wants to use the Shared Library Manager.  That extension, which came
with the Fox Pro 2.6 Setup, if included in the active extensions list,
causes the System Load to fail.  No extension icons at all appear on
the desktop and the System Load hangs.  Choosing only 7.5.3 extensions,
plus the extension for the Shared Library Manager, gives the same problem.

I've got system 7.5.3 (Update 2) on my system, which has 86 Meg of
ram.  Back when I first installed Fox Pro 2.6 I recall being able to
run Beautify, but I don't run Fox Pro that often & there have been
numerous changes since then (the system has been upgraded and various
extensions activated and deactivated--probably since that time).

I'll take any advice I can get.  I've tried every idea I can think of
(which includes looking at the Microsoft and Apple WWW sites for
clues, and looking in Dejanews for "shared library manager").

If it seems relevant, I once had installed on my system both FP 2.6
and FP 2.5 with the distribution kit.  Reinstalling FP2.6 doesn't seem
to help.
--
Alan Wehmann

2. Serial data transfer...HOW?

3. Fox Pro 2.6a for the MAC

4. DBA needed, US-TX-Houston

5. Fox Pro Mac (2.5b) reading barcodes

6. Strange VMS Checkpoint error

7. Fox Pro 2.6 and no Mac Books

8. HELP ME PLEASE SQL2000

9. Fox pro Mac

10. How to open DOS ASCII files in FOX PRO-MAC

11. Fox Pro for the Mac Questions

12. Need help with MAC-FOX Pro 5.c

13. Fox Pro 2.6 for MAC - Graphing capabilities