Accessing DOS without the Window?

Post by TOO » Wed, 05 Oct 1994 08:31:28

Is there anyway of making DOS calls without having that anoying window popup?
I changed the PIF of FOXDOS so the window disappears after the command is
executed, but it still comes up for a second or two.

Anyone?

Post by Rick Lang » Wed, 05 Oct 1994 23:20:47

> Is there anyway of making DOS calls without having that anoying window
popup?
> I changed the PIF of FOXDOS so the window disappears after the command is
> executed, but it still comes up for a second or two.

I've never tried it, but can't you do something like RUN /N7 to execute a
DOS command without getting a window?

-Rick

PO Box 184                |  Compuserve: 73252,1606
7200 NW 62nd Avenue       |  Voice: (515) 270-3218
Johnston, IA 50131        |

Post by leebe » Thu, 06 Oct 1994 22:32:55

> Is there anyway of making DOS calls without having that anoying window popup?
> I changed the PIF of FOXDOS so the window disappears after the command is
> executed, but it still comes up for a second or two.
> Anyone?

RUN /N7 COMMAND.COM

Post by c.. » Fri, 07 Oct 1994 23:06:43

>Subject: Re: Accessing DOS without the Window?
>Date: 5 Oct 1994 13:32:55 GMT

>> Is there anyway of making DOS calls without having that anoying window popup?
>> I changed the PIF of FOXDOS so the window disappears after the command is
>> executed, but it still comes up for a second or two.
>> Anyone?
>RUN /N7 COMMAND.COM

I tried that and it seems to work, except that it leaves an MS-DOS icon on the
desktop, with a DOS shell still open.  Looks great in the application, but
when you are done it's kinda messy.

Post by user » Mon, 10 Oct 1994 01:11:24

>>Subject: Re: Accessing DOS without the Window?
>>Date: 5 Oct 1994 13:32:55 GMT

>>> Is there anyway of making DOS calls without having that anoying window popup?
>>> I changed the PIF of FOXDOS so the window disappears after the command is
>>> executed, but it still comes up for a second or two.

>>> Anyone?

>>RUN /N7 COMMAND.COM

>I tried that and it seems to work, except that it leaves an MS-DOS icon on the
>desktop, with a DOS shell still open.  Looks great in the application, but
>when you are done it's kinda messy.

The DOS command.com has a /c switch which exits the command.com interpreter
as soon as it is done running the program that it calls.

Try this:
RUN /N7 COMMAND.COM /c myprog.bat

Once myprog.bat is done running, the command.com should terminate.  I don't
have the Windows version of FoxPro but I have used the /c switch before
and I think it will do what you need it to.

                 Todd

Post by leebe » Wed, 12 Oct 1994 00:28:52

> >Subject: Re: Accessing DOS without the Window?
> >Date: 5 Oct 1994 13:32:55 GMT

> >> Is there anyway of making DOS calls without having that anoying window popup?
> >> I changed the PIF of FOXDOS so the window disappears after the command is
> >> executed, but it still comes up for a second or two.
> >> Anyone?
> >RUN /N7 COMMAND.COM
> I tried that and it seems to work, except that it leaves an MS-DOS icon on the
> desktop, with a DOS shell still open.  Looks great in the application, but
> when you are done it's kinda messy.

You have to define the .PIF so that the window closes. Running a batch
file that says "EXIT" will also kill the DOS SHELL, BTW. Look at it
again, DOS apps in windows will terminate the DOS box if they are
initiated directly without a .bat file, so I don't think you need to nest
the call to the DOS app. within a .bat.

1. windows xp service activity without db access

Thats running
Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5/SWR 9795 ESD 2/P/NT (IX86)/OS
4.0/rel125/1687/32-bit/OPT/Sat Sep 22 22:37:20 2001
as a part of intershop installation
on my machine W32XP with up to date service packs

The problem ist that the service control svchost runs 20%..40%..60%..
of CPU and can only stopping to grow by stopping and/or restart the
sybase server
The server was starting with the following parameters
C:\Intershop\Sybase\ASE-12_5\bin\sqlsrvr.exe -sISSERVER -C

The most mysterious is that no db process is running and no
connetcions to the database still exists during this very slow down of
performance happens.

Do somebody have an idea how I can solve this problem, or how I can
find the reason what the sybase service need to calculate....?

Thank's very much
Heiko Moye

PS: it is defently the sybase service how busy the svchost, no other
processes, I am sure because I tested it at last in this case:
I stopped all possible services and the svchost runs with 73% only
after stopping the sybase service it wents to 0% CPU, please help

2. Parameterised queries need help

3. Unable to run query using Access linked tables without opening from DB window first

4. Datetime problem...................URGENT

5. Accessing VB DOS ISAM files in a VB for Windows program

6. General Help to Start with Oracle !!!

7. Accessing btrieve with Dos and Windows Apps concurrently

8. REQ: Good ODBC components to bypass use of BDE.

9. Accessing Sybase in OS/2 DOS window?

10. Converting Paradox 4.0 for DOS databases to Access or modern windows networked database

11. Accessing btrieve with Dos and Windows Apps concurrentely

12. Accessing btrieve with Dos and Windows Apps concurrently

13. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and Windows 95 DOS 7.x