FPW26 ?screens compatible from PC to PC

Post by john say » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am running a program on both my system and other one to make sure my
screens look right on more than just my system.  I can't seem to get
the screens to look right on the other system.  Maybe someone can tell
me what's going on here.

Both systems are set to 640 by 480 pixels, and I designed my screens to
look right on my computer, but when I run the program on the other
system, most of the screens are too wide and the screen objects are out
of horozontal alignment.  (One screen is just the opposite -- it is too
narrow!).

I simply want my program to look right on anybody's PC!  What do I need
to do?

Mireda

FPW26 ?screens compatible from PC to PC

Post by William J. Kressbac » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> look right on my computer, but when I run the program on the other
> system, most of the screens are too wide and the screen objects are out
> of horozontal alignment.  (One screen is just the opposite -- it is too
> narrow!).

> I simply want my program to look right on anybody's PC!  What do I need
> to do?

You have to make sure that all fonts that you use in Foxpro are installed
in the host PC.  If it doesn't find the font that you have specified,
Foxpro will substitute something that it thinks is close.  This results in
the screens not matching.  Ariel is the most commonly installed font.

Bill

FPW26 ?screens compatible from PC to PC

Post by Rick Bea » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Mireda/John,
Along with what Bill wrote, you may have to consider the System Window
fonts. If you are running under Win 3.x these can be changed in the
SYSTEM.INI file and/or by the the display drivers that are installed (some
give an option of LARGE fonts). In Win95, it gets even more complicated
because the user can easily change these in the display properties (or if
they have Plus! by changing the desktop theme). I got so that I never made
any 'screens' in FPW2.6 larger than 622x386 and this is too big for anyone
using larger than the 'standard' VGA drivers and the 'regular' system
window fonts.

Rick

Quote:> I am running a program on both my system and other one to make sure my

Post by David Schwart » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

> I am running a program on both my system and other one to make sure my
> screens look right on more than just my system.  I can't seem to get
> the screens to look right on the other system.  Maybe someone can tell
> me what's going on here.

SNIP..

Check to see if both screen are set to the same font size.  One may be using
"small" fonts and the other "large" fonts.  This is set in the Windows Control
Panel

David Schwartz
Lockheed Martin GES
Moorestown, NJ

FPW26 ?screens compatible from PC to PC

Post by Alexandre Pechtchans » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[ Courtesy cc'ed through e-mail to the quoted author ]

Quote:>I am running a program on both my system and other one to make sure my
>screens look right on more than just my system.  I can't seem to get
>the screens to look right on the other system.  Maybe someone can tell
>me what's going on here.

>Both systems are set to 640 by 480 pixels, and I designed my screens to
>look right on my computer, but when I run the program on the other
>system, most of the screens are too wide and the screen objects are out
>of horozontal alignment.  (One screen is just the opposite -- it is too
>narrow!).

>I simply want my program to look right on anybody's PC!  What do I need
>to do?

Make sure that the fonts you're using in your screens are present on
all computers (and registered in Windows) and that you don't use MS
San Serif - replace it with Arial if you do.

[ When replying, remove *'s from address ]
Alexandre Pechtchanski, Systems Manager, RUH, NY