Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"

Post by Stan Varlam » Wed, 26 Oct 1994 23:01:51

When it is about FoxPro - I can solve most of the time myself. But when
it comes to that Windows *- NEED HELP!

This may be a simple FAQ (I hope).

I print 2 page report cards from FPW (Windows 3.11, 8Mb 486, QEMM,
Windows from the hard drive, Novell 3.32, network Printer HP 4Si) with
graphs in general field. After about 40 cards printed I get Fox message
"Printer not ready" and have to cancel. And then any printing from
Windows becomes totally disabled: anything  from the same or different
FoxPro session says "Printer not ready", simple text "Print" says "Not
enough memory to print". Nevertheless, the network capture still on, and
print from DOS prompt above Windows works. But in order to print from
Windows again I have to restart them.

When I printed similar graphs from Access, system used to hang after
about 100 cards, but I thought It was because of OLE (or something)
connection to create graph for each card. In FoxPro all graphs are
already in the general field, so this is not the point.

Of course, I spoke with the MicProduct Support, changed everything
possible in all Print Managers and Consoles - no any effect.

Based on my previous Windows-Access-Fox experience, I would agree to
restart Windows every time I get that message. But I do not know a
programmable way to restart (or quit) Windows from inside.

I'd appreciate any clue.

Stan.

--

Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"

Post by JAMES STOLI » Thu, 27 Oct 1994 01:40:51

Quote:> After about 40 cards printed I get Fox message
>"Printer not ready" and have to cancel.

Stan,

  I've seen this type of printer error occur with Foxbase and FoxPro DOS
versions also. For some reason, it appears as if the Foxes write to the
printer so fast that the buffer is overrun.  I solve the problem by
putting in a print delay, usually in the report headings.  This does mean
that the reports have to be hard-coded, but the extra work also allows
more flexibility.

-

Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"

Post by Bill Rankin » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 08:53:56

My understanding is that both FP and Access current-ish versions eat
Windows resources when printing. I understand this is a bug acknowledged
by MS, and will try to find out if there is a workaround (like maybe FP
2.6a update?) unless someone else chips in first.

Bill Rankine
InFoX

Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"

Post by Daniel M. Schreib » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 13:17:13

Quote:>This may be a simple FAQ (I hope).
>I print 2 page report cards from FPW (Windows 3.11, 8Mb 486, QEMM,
>Windows from the hard drive, Novell 3.32, network Printer HP 4Si) with
>graphs in general field. After about 40 cards printed I get Fox message
>"Printer not ready" and have to cancel. And then any printing from
>Windows becomes totally disabled: anything  from the same or different
>FoxPro session says "Printer not ready", simple text "Print" says "Not
>enough memory to print". Nevertheless, the network capture still on, and
>print from DOS prompt above Windows works. But in order to print from
>Windows again I have to restart them.

We didn't find the answer for a long time, and even then it was dumb
luck.

We were printing graphics intensive reports from FoxPro over the net
to an HP and quite often we would get "Printer Not Ready" - which
would completely disable the printing ability from Windows until the
OS was restarted.  The problem eventually went away after obtaining
new *print drivers* from HP for Windows - although no one ever
admitted there was a bug.

Daniel M. Schreiber

Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"

Post by Brian Copela » Sun, 30 Oct 1994 13:40:00

S>When it is about FoxPro - I can solve most of the time myself. But
S>when  it comes to that Windows *- NEED HELP!

S>This may be a simple FAQ (I hope).

S>I print 2 page report cards from FPW (Windows 3.11, 8Mb 486, QEMM,
S>Windows from the hard drive, Novell 3.32, network Printer HP 4Si) with
S>graphs in general field. After about 40 cards printed I get Fox
S>message  "Printer not ready" and have to cancel. And then any printing
S>from  Windows becomes totally disabled: anything  from the same or
S>different  FoxPro session says "Printer not ready", simple text
S>"Print" says "Not  enough memory to print". Nevertheless, the network
S>capture still on, and  print from DOS prompt above Windows works. But
S>in order to print from  Windows again I have to restart them.

S>When I printed similar graphs from Access, system used to hang after
S>about 100 cards, but I thought It was because of OLE (or something)
S>connection to create graph for each card. In FoxPro all graphs are
S>already in the general field, so this is not the point.

S>Of course, I spoke with the MicProduct Support, changed everything
S>possible in all Print Managers and Consoles - no any effect.

S>Based on my previous Windows-Access-Fox experience, I would agree to
S>restart Windows every time I get that message. But I do not know a
S>programmable way to restart (or quit) Windows from inside.

S>I'd appreciate any clue.

S>Stan.

When you print in Windows using Print Manager the output is first
written to a file on your hard drive and the sent to the printer by
Print Manager.  The out of memory message is probably the result of not
having enough space on the hard drive containing the temp directory for
the required file.  Since there is no space left on the HD no further
printing is possible.

When you exit Windows the temp file is deleted and you are again able to
print.

Possible solutions are:

     Free up space on the hard drive or if you have more than one
     partition use one with more space for the Temp directory.

     Print in smaller batches.

     Disable Print Manager for large print runs.

---
* CmpQwk #UNREG* UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY

Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"

Post by Kevin Pir » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 08:57:38

>Subject: Q: FPW - "Printer not re

>Date: Sat, 29 Oct 94 00:40:00 -0400

There is a bug in the HP 4 printer driver that eats up memory and does not
release it.  Try using one of the 3.xx HP drivers or contact HP for a more
recent update to their printer driver sets.

Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"

Post by Nicholas W. Tayl » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 22:27:53

>Subject: Re: Q: FPW - "Printer not re
>Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 23:57:38

>Copeland) writes:
>>Subject: Q: FPW - "Printer not re

>>Date: Sat, 29 Oct 94 00:40:00 -0400
>There is a bug in the HP 4 printer driver that eats up memory and does not
>release it.  Try using one of the 3.xx HP drivers or contact HP for a more
>recent update to their printer driver sets.

Fellow FoxProgrammers--

        If you've got Mosaic or Lynx, try WWW.HP.COM for Hewlett-Packard's
WWW homepage.  The FTP site is FTP-BOI.EXTERNAL.HP.COM.  It takes a little
digging, but they have updated drivers for their entire product line.

        BTW, according to HP, this error is most common on setups where
Windows 3.1 has been upgraded to WFW 3.11.

        Enjoy!

--Nicholas W. Taylor

| Contract programmer, Martin Marietta Energy Systems |
| Oak Ridge National Labs, Oak Ridge, TN              |
| ph: (615) 574-0640                                  |

#include <disclaim.std>

1. FPW26 "Printer Not Ready" error

I have users running a FoxPro 2.6 app under Window 95 on a Novell server -
they are now getting a "Printer Not Ready" error when trying to print some
reports (REPORT FORM XXX TO PRINTER NOCONSOLE command).  They checked and
the Capture commands for Novell seem to be correct (DOS printing checked,
etc.).

Any ideas?

TIA -
Michelle

2. Accessing SQL Server 6.0 from Visual Basic

3. "Printer Not Ready"

4. Data Type Field Length in SQL Server 7.0

5. VFP "Printer not ready" under Win95

6. Is this a known bug in SQL Server 7.0?

7. Help -- "network drive not ready"

8. BAR CODE SCANNER PROBLEM

9. FPW 2.6: Printer not Ready error

10. Printer not ready, FPW 2.6 Reports With BMPs

11. (Network) "Printer Not Found" Novell/Win95

13. FPW 2.6 "READ CYCLE" question