Ingstart and Ingstop return codes

Post by Carlos Alon » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:55:11

Does anyone know which are the result codes of Ingstart/Ingstop
commands? I did not find them in the docs.

I need also a bit help with an easy way for checking a "healthy"
ingres system runnig in unix (must be a unix script). Some ideas are
to check if every important process of ingres is alive using 'ps' or
perform a query and see if it works. Is there anything easier or
better?

Thanks in advance

Carlos

Ingstart and Ingstop return codes

Post by Roy Ha » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:02:21

Quote:>Does anyone know which are the result codes of Ingstart/Ingstop
>commands? I did not find them in the docs.

>I need also a bit help with an easy way for checking a "healthy"
>ingres system runnig in unix (must be a unix script). Some ideas are
>to check if every important process of ingres is alive using 'ps' or
>perform a query and see if it works. Is there anything easier or
>better?

There are really only a couple of Ingres components that can fail without
becoming instantly obvious.  These are the name server (iigcn in a ps listing),
the comm servers (iigcc in a ps listing, or COMSVR in iinamu), and the archiver
(dmfacp).  If these fail then it can take quite some time to notice, although
the archiver can actually execute a script called
$II_SYSTEM/ingres/files/acpexit.def if it shuts down in a halfway-controlled
fashion (i.e. doesn't simply core dump).  The acpexit.def script can be edited
to notify/page you.  Losing the name server, the comm servers, or the archiver
is not terribly serious, in the sense that you can easily start any of them
again without shutting down the entire installation.

If anything else dies, then your installation is probably going to crash pretty
much right away anyway, and having a script to tell you that it has happened
may be of quite limited use.  However there are several approaches.  You could
generate a ps listing and grep for things like iidbms, dmfrcp (the recovery
server), dmfacp, and iigcn (the name server), plus any others that you may be
using.  You could get some information from IMA too, but the problem with IMA
is that Ingres needs to be working in order to use it!

Depending on your objective, you may prefer to have early warning of an
incipient failure so you can avert it, rather than notification of an actual
failure after it has happened.  In that case you can spend a lot of time and
energy writing clever scripts with IMA to look for things like the transaction
log approaching the force-abort limit, or the number of free lock blocks
approaching zero (which is pretty fatal).  Or, alternatively, you could look at
buying a monitoring tool like DBAnalyzer.  See our
<http://www.rationalcommerce.com/>web-site for more details.

Roy Hann
<http://www.rationalcommerce.com/>Rational Commerce Ltd.
"Ingres development, tuning, and training experts"

Ingstart and Ingstop return codes

Post by Laframboise And » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:52:29

 We run a looped (every 5 minutes) script that does a ps and looks for the
essential Ingres
 processes as well as counts the number of IIGCCs to make sure they're all
there.

 It also does a connect/disconnect to iidbdb to make sure the servers are
responding. The script
 pages us if something isn't quite right. Works quite well.

 It's in ksh for Tru64 Unix. I can send you a copy if you like.

Andre

>Does anyone know which are the result codes of Ingstart/Ingstop
>commands? I did not find them in the docs.

>I need also a bit help with an easy way for checking a "healthy"
>ingres system runnig in unix (must be a unix script). Some ideas are
>to check if every important process of ingres is alive using 'ps' or
>perform a query and see if it works. Is there anything easier or
>better?

There are really only a couple of Ingres components that can fail without
becoming instantly obvious.  These are the name server (iigcn in a ps
listing), the comm servers (iigcc in a ps listing, or COMSVR in iinamu), and
the archiver (dmfacp).  If these fail then it can take quite some time to
notice, although the archiver can actually execute a script called
$II_SYSTEM/ingres/files/acpexit.def if it shuts down in a halfway-controlled
fashion (i.e. doesn't simply core dump).  The acpexit.def script can be
edited to notify/page you.  Losing the name server, the comm servers, or the
archiver is not terribly serious, in the sense that you can easily start any
of them again without shutting down the entire installation.

If anything else dies, then your installation is probably going to crash
pretty much right away anyway, and having a script to tell you that it has
happened may be of quite limited use.  However there are several approaches.
You could generate a ps listing and grep for things like iidbms, dmfrcp (the
recovery server), dmfacp, and iigcn (the name server), plus any others that
you may be using.  You could get some information from IMA too, but the
problem with IMA is that Ingres needs to be working in order to use it!

Depending on your objective, you may prefer to have early warning of an
incipient failure so you can avert it, rather than notification of an actual
failure after it has happened.  In that case you can spend a lot of time and
energy writing clever scripts with IMA to look for things like the
transaction log approaching the force-abort limit, or the number of free
lock blocks approaching zero (which is pretty fatal).  Or, alternatively,
you could look at buying a monitoring tool like DBAnalyzer.  See our
web-site <http://www.rationalcommerce.com/>  for more details.

Roy Hann
Rational Commerce Ltd <http://www.rationalcommerce.com/> .
"Ingres development, tuning, and training experts"

1. To ingstop -f or ingstop -kill ?

Thought I'd use a lifeline and ask the audience...............

I know ingstop -kill works when most other things fail.
But the sysref.pdf (and ingstart -help) only mentions
a -f (force or immediate ) parameter.

What exactly is the difference ?

Andre

2. SQL Server CE Connection

3. Executing Sybase stored procedure returning both resultset and return code

4. Compiling backup example MSSQL VC++ 6

5. stored procedures: return codes and return status with rdo

6. Clustered Index Named Cache Configuration

7. Ingstop -force twice

8. length field

9. Using ingstop -force once a week

10. unable to ingstop