Kill a Phantom Process in Universe

Post by Jim Koc » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 04:56:36

I am trying to kill a phantom process in Universe using the LOGOUT -pid
command at TCL, and I get the error message.... Unable to send signal to
process [EPERM} Not owner. Not sure I understand what this is trying to tell
me or how to correct this.

I really need to be able in a Basic program kill a phantom process for which
I know the PID.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Jim Koca

Kill a Phantom Process in Universe

Post by Doug Le » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 05:51:05

If you are not the owner of the process you will have to be the super user
to kill it. In UNIX this equates to "root". Try logging in as root, going
into Universe, then issuing the LOGOUT command. Think you will find it
works.

Doug Lee

Quote:> I am trying to kill a phantom process in Universe using the LOGOUT -pid
> command at TCL, and I get the error message.... Unable to send signal to
> process [EPERM} Not owner. Not sure I understand what this is trying to
tell
> me or how to correct this.

> I really need to be able in a Basic program kill a phantom process for
which
> I know the PID.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> TIA

> Jim Koca

Kill a Phantom Process in Universe

Post by Hal Henderso » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 04:00:23

I am trying to logoff a phantom port on Universe for Win NT 4.0. I know
something that I am doing is causing the port to hang, but I can't get it
off. I tried OFF - pid, LOGOUT -pid, and tried doing it in UniAdmin. There
are no error messages, but the port doesn't get logged off. Nothing short of
rebooting the computer seems to get rid of it.

I realize that I need to find out what is causing the problem, but finding
the cause would be easier if I didn't have to reboot the computer.

Anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any response very much.

Hal Henderson
Total Computing Solutions

Quote:> I am trying to kill a phantom process in Universe using the LOGOUT -pid
> command at TCL, and I get the error message.... Unable to send signal to
> process [EPERM} Not owner. Not sure I understand what this is trying to
tell
> me or how to correct this.

> I really need to be able in a Basic program kill a phantom process for
which
> I know the PID.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> TIA

> Jim Koca

Kill a Phantom Process in Universe

Post by Bob Rui » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:02:41

I have had a little struggle with phantom users lately and here is what has
worked for me when all else fails...

Logon as administrator
Logto account UV
Type in the command "DOS"
From the DOS prompt type "D:\IBM\UV\BIN\KILL {PID} 9"

Takes a while.....  (1 minute or so)

Type "D:\IBM\UV\BIN\UVLICTOOL clean_lic -a" to clean up the license seats.

Pretty big sledge hammer....    but it works.

Hope this helps.

Bob Ruiz
Avexxis

> I am trying to logoff a phantom port on Universe for Win NT 4.0. I know
> something that I am doing is causing the port to hang, but I can't get it
> off. I tried OFF - pid, LOGOUT -pid, and tried doing it in UniAdmin. There
> are no error messages, but the port doesn't get logged off. Nothing short
of
> rebooting the computer seems to get rid of it.

> I realize that I need to find out what is causing the problem, but finding
> the cause would be easier if I didn't have to reboot the computer.

> Anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any response very much.

> Hal Henderson
> Total Computing Solutions

> > I am trying to kill a phantom process in Universe using the LOGOUT -pid
> > command at TCL, and I get the error message.... Unable to send signal to
> > process [EPERM} Not owner. Not sure I understand what this is trying to
> tell
> > me or how to correct this.

> > I really need to be able in a Basic program kill a phantom process for
> which
> > I know the PID.

> > Any help would be appreciated.

> > TIA

> > Jim Koca

Kill a Phantom Process in Universe

Post by George Griffe » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:35:44

Our support folks tipped us off about something to try if those things
don't work  - a 'kill' command which I think is part of the NT
Resource Kit (we run UV on NT 4.0).  The format is:

kill /f ### (where ### = the pid)

The "/f" forces the logoff.  It has a sort of drastic feel, but it has
worked for us with no ill effects that we could see.  (This would be
entered in a DOS window on the server, with an admin userid.)  BTW, we
get the same symptoms sometimes - a port gets hung, and the UV
commands don't produce neither any error nor any results.  Good luck.

> I am trying to logoff a phantom port on Universe for Win NT 4.0. I know
> something that I am doing is causing the port to hang, but I can't get it
> off. I tried OFF - pid, LOGOUT -pid, and tried doing it in UniAdmin. There
> are no error messages, but the port doesn't get logged off. Nothing short of
> rebooting the computer seems to get rid of it.

Kill a Phantom Process in Universe

Post by Hal Henderso » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:53:17

Thank to you both. I was able to figure out a way to get rid of the phantom
without using those commands, but those may come in helpful in the future.

BTW, I didn't know that the WAITING clause doesn't work on a GET in Universe
for WinNt. The GET was essentially waiting forever, when we typically have
done a timeout using the WAITING clause. That is why the phantom wouldn't go
away.

--
Hal Henderson
Total Computing Solutions

> Our support folks tipped us off about something to try if those things
> don't work  - a 'kill' command which I think is part of the NT
> Resource Kit (we run UV on NT 4.0).  The format is:

> kill /f ### (where ### = the pid)

> The "/f" forces the logoff.  It has a sort of drastic feel, but it has
> worked for us with no ill effects that we could see.  (This would be
> entered in a DOS window on the server, with an admin userid.)  BTW, we
> get the same symptoms sometimes - a port gets hung, and the UV
> commands don't produce neither any error nor any results.  Good luck.

Quote:> > I am trying to logoff a phantom port on Universe for Win NT 4.0. I know