"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Kent Eiler » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

What is the correct syntax to set the default directory in FP 2.6? In
the comand window it is:
    "set default to c:\mydir" - but this is not working in the config
file.

Thanks.

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Alexandre Pechtchans » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[ Courtesy cc'ed through e-mail to the quoted author ]

Quote:>What is the correct syntax to set the default directory in FP 2.6? In
>the comand window it is:
>    "set default to c:\mydir" - but this is not working in the config
>file.

I don't think you can set default in CONFIG.FPx, but by definition program's
default directory is its startup directory.

[ When replying, remove *'s from address ]
Alexandre Pechtchanski, Systems Manager, RUH, NY

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Rick Bea » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Kent,

DEFAULT=C:\MYDIR

In FPW or FPD help look for "Configuring FoxPro" - "Startup Files" and
"Special CONFIG.FPW Settings".

Rick

>What is the correct syntax to set the default directory in FP 2.6? In
>the comand window it is:
>    "set default to c:\mydir" - but this is not working in the config
>file.

>Thanks.

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Anders Altber » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Kent
The config syntax is
DEFAULT = C:\MYDIR

-Anders

>What is the correct syntax to set the default directory in FP 2.6? In
>the comand window it is:
>    "set default to c:\mydir" - but this is not working in the config
>file.

>Thanks.

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Christian Desbours » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> What is the correct syntax to set the default directory in FP 2.6? In
> the comand window it is:
>     "set default to c:\mydir" - but this is not working in the config
> file.

The correct syntax in the config file is :

DEFAULT = c:\mydir

hoping this helps

Christian Desbourse (Belgium)

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Ossama Badaw » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> What is the correct syntax to set the default directory in FP 2.6? In
> the comand window it is:
>     "set default to c:\mydir" - but this is not working in the config
> file.

> Thanks.

  It's  (I hope I remember correctly!)
  DEFAULT = c:\mydir

Ossama

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Joe Kaufm » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 07:57:44 -0500, Kent Eilers

>What is the correct syntax to set the default directory in FP 2.6? In
>the comand window it is:
>    "set default to c:\mydir" - but this is not working in the config
>file.

Have you tried:

DEFAULT=<full path, no quotes>

I had this in a VFP CONFIG file, but I am sure I have used this in 2.6
as well...hope this helps...

The online help under CONFIG.FPW talks more about configuration
options...

JoeK

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by MC » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> What is the correct syntax to set the default directory in FP 2.6? In
> the comand window it is:
>     "set default to c:\mydir" - but this is not working in the config
> file.

Kent,

Are you going to distribute your app to other users on your network?
If so, you may not want to use such in the config.fpw.
(There are better/other ways.)

Minor

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Marcus Reynold » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Tip:

>Make sure FoxPro is reading the correct CONFIG.FP.  It is a very common
>programmer error to be reading the wrong configuration file, i.e. one
>other than the one intended.  If FoxPro can't find a configuration file
>it will search the DOS path and grab the first one it finds and this
>could be anywhere on a network.

In my experience ninety percent of the time the runtime version of
Visual Foxpro won't find the CONFIG.FPW even if it is in the path. It
doesn't matter where I put the damn thing, the app still ignores it &
starts with it's normal defaults, which are totally wrong. Therefore I
now insist my users explicitly specify it's location with the "-C"
parameter. So their shortcuts look something like this:-

Target: "O:\SWHLIVE1\SWHMAINW.EXE -CO:\DOSPROG\CONFIG.FPW"

The application itself then checks key SYS values to make sure that it
was setup properly & refuses to run if it wasn't.

On a more philisophical point though, I would be a little wary of using
CONFIG.FPW to "Set Default To". In a network environment that might
prove to be a little restrictive.

Regards

--
Marcus Reynolds

"set default" in config.fpw

Post by Philippe Pala » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Make sure FoxPro is reading the correct CONFIG.FP.  It is a very common
> programmer error to be reading the wrong configuration file, i.e. one
> other than the one intended.  If FoxPro can't find a configuration file
> it will search the DOS path and grab the first one it finds and this
> could be anywhere on a network.

> You can discover which CONFIG.FP FoxPro is utilizing by calling the
> SYS(2019) function.  Here are three commands that you can use from the
> command window (or in a program) that are very useful when trying to
> debug in these situations:

>  ?SYS(2019)
>  WAIT WIND SYS(2019)
>  MODI COMM SYS(2019)

You are quite correct.
In fact, I am *afraid* of using CONFIG.FP.
You can have different versions, one in your app directory, another in the
Fox dir, and  just confuse the two.
And it makes it slightly harder to maintain your code (very slightly
harder, but it migh cause some mishaps.
In all my apps, I have a "System parameters" option just show what are the
data and prog location (and free memory, default printer, so on).
Very useful if, like me, you program on a single PC apps who will run on a
network.
There are a ton of little tricks to do to make your life easier, then.

Regards.
Philippe

1. Error:"Default Config File Not Found"

Has anyone ever seen an error message of
"Default Config File not Found"?

A user of my system in another state is getting that error about the time
in the program when a RUN/N is being performed (but might be just
before it, when I'm doing some DELETE FILEs).

I don't think the program that is being called (SAS) is causing the
problem, but I'm hoping for a clue before I fly cross-country tomorrow.

E-mail would be appreciated,

Joel
--

Systems Project Leader, CANDA Systems
G.D. Searle & Co.

Can you imagine a world where there are no hypothetical questions?

2. Accessing xbase

3. SET DEFAULT TO path - N.G. in CONFIG.FPW

4. Reports2.5: SRW.MESSAGE procedure

6. WITH DELIMITERS in COPY

7. Help with config.fx, config.fp, config.fpw files

8. FPW 2.6 "READ CYCLE" question

9. FPW 2.6 "Missing memo file"

10. Paths to "files" in FPW 2.6

11. Q: FPW - "Printer not ready"