dbase question...

Post by fishman ma » Tue, 09 Aug 1994 04:51:59

I am not sure if this is where I should ask this question but here it goes.
I want to get the newest dbase for my Mother.  She uses some ancient version
of the program from the mid-80's and I want to find out whether or not the
new dbase would be able to use files created by such an old version of it.
My Mom claims it a dbase III but it could actually be Dbase II or I even.  So
if anyone knows an answer to whether these old files could be accessed and
used I would greatly appreciate it.

Deroff: Cannot open file +/umbc/general/v35/mfishm1/bin/wordlist

dbase question...

Post by Donald Rav » Tue, 09 Aug 1994 08:33:47

: I am not sure if this is where I should ask this question but here it goes.
: I want to get the newest dbase for my Mother.  She uses some ancient version
: of the program from the mid-80's and I want to find out whether or not the
: new dbase would be able to use files created by such an old version of it.
: My Mom claims it a dbase III but it could actually be Dbase II or I even.  So
: if anyone knows an answer to whether these old files could be accessed and
: used I would greatly appreciate it.

Well, you can scratch dBASE I, since there never was one!  (BTW, Borland
is a little touchy about the capitalization of dBASE--it's a registered
trademark or something)

Basically, yes, everything including the recently released dBASE 5.0 will
access all earlier file formats.  And run 99.99% of programs written in
earlier versions.  What you have to be concerned about is whether your
computer will run the newer versions of dBASE.  For the newest software,
you should have at least a 386 and several megs of RAM, how much depends
on just which version you are thinking of.

Are you running Windows?  The new dBASE 5.0 for Windows is really cool!
But you need some heavy hardware to run it!

| W6DBZ             San Mateo, California        ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR  |

dbase question...

Post by ste.. » Tue, 09 Aug 1994 10:36:47

> I am not sure if this is where I should ask this question but here it goes.
> I want to get the newest dbase for my Mother.  She uses some ancient version
> of the program from the mid-80's and I want to find out whether or not the
> new dbase would be able to use files created by such an old version of it.
> My Mom claims it a dbase III but it could actually be Dbase II or I even.  So
> if anyone knows an answer to whether these old files could be accessed and
> used I would greatly appreciate it.

> Deroff: Cannot open file +/umbc/general/v35/mfishm1/bin/wordlist

dBASE II was released in 1982 and dBASE III in 1985. From your description, it
sounds like you could really be dealing with either one. The VERSION() function
would return the version being used. However, I am not sure that dBASE II
included this function. At the dot prompt, try issuing the command:

        ? VERSION()

dBASE II files are not directly compatible with any later version. However,
all subsequent versions included a separate EXE (called DCONVERT.EXE) to
translate the data files into a format useable in any later version. The
dBASE III data file format is useable, without modification in all later
versions.

dBASE II has some problems operating on some later machines (with hard
disks larger than 32Mb) and with most recent DOS systems. Therefore, if
your mother s still running either of these two versions, the chances are
that it is on an older computer (say, a slower 386 with DOS 3.3 at the
latest). This would mean she would probably require a later computer or
adding RAM to the existing computer in order to run the latest versions of
dBASE (that is dBASE 5.0 for DOS and dBASE 5.0 for Windows). The DOS version
requires 4Mb of RAM (that's 3Mb extended memory that must be free), though
6Mb is recommended for best performance. The DOS version also requires a
386 or better, with at least DOS 3.3. The Windows version requires at least
6Mb of RAM installed.

For upgrade information and pricing, you should contact Borland's Customer
Service department at 408-461-9000.

--

"We have to reject tax and spend economics."
         Bill Clinton, National League of Cities Conference, March 8, 1993.