can't telnet to vme in d3 on windows nt workstation

can't telnet to vme in d3 on windows nt workstation

Post by bill_ehl.. » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

have tried various ways of telnet-ing:

in run box, enter "telnet", click "ok"; in
telnet box, click connect, click "remote system";
in connect box: in host-name, enter 127.0.0.1; in port,
enter "telnet"; in terminal, enter "vt52";
click "connect"

in run box, enter "telnet localhost",
click "ok"

and others.

each time there's simply no logon prompt.

services in control panel shows both
d3vme and d3fsi with status as "started"
and "startup" as "automatic"; in the "log
on as" box, both have a bullet in "system acct"
and a check mark in "allow service to interact
with desktop".

when i log on to windows nt, i do so as
administrator.

looking at d3 nt settings in d3 device mgr,
the "network and mds config" box has the right
computer name and the only round hole (radio
button?) with a bullet is "standalone or
peer-to-peer server"

opening command prompt window and
'ping'-ing gets "it's alive" responses
for both d3vme and d3fsi.

i would sure appreciate some clues that
would help me solve this mystery!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

can't telnet to vme in d3 on windows nt workstation

Post by jong » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

go into d3 device manager, pib configuration (tab), and assign pibs.
this should let you telnet.

can't telnet to vme in d3 on windows nt workstation

Post by BurslemW » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Bill,

Take a look at the D3/NT 7.1.4 Installation Notes. At the bottom of page 12 it
starts out:
Virtual Machine Environment Does Not Start
While logging on to the VME, if Telnet connects but does not issue a D3 logon
message when pressing a key, the VME boot probably aborted due to an overflow
problem, a corrupted disk image or some other Virtual problem.
Try changing the d3vme service to manual, reboot windows, and then start d3
using the /debug option. Then follow the installation notes for possible fixes.

BTW, you don't really have both D3VME and D3FSI in the services window, do you?
I only have D3ODBC and D3VME. I usually leave D3ODBC set to manual unless I'm
using odbc.

Jeff Burslem

>have tried various ways of telnet-ing:

>in run box, enter "telnet", click "ok"; in
>telnet box, click connect, click "remote system";
>in connect box: in host-name, enter 127.0.0.1; in port,
>enter "telnet"; in terminal, enter "vt52";
>click "connect"

>in run box, enter "telnet localhost",
>click "ok"

>and others.

>each time there's simply no logon prompt.

>services in control panel shows both
>d3vme and d3fsi with status as "started"
>and "startup" as "automatic"; in the "log
>on as" box, both have a bullet in "system acct"
>and a check mark in "allow service to interact
>with desktop".

>when i log on to windows nt, i do so as
>administrator.

>looking at d3 nt settings in d3 device mgr,
>the "network and mds config" box has the right
>computer name and the only round hole (radio
>button?) with a bullet is "standalone or
>peer-to-peer server"

>opening command prompt window and
>'ping'-ing gets "it's alive" responses
>for both d3vme and d3fsi.

>i would sure appreciate some clues that
>would help me solve this mystery!

can't telnet to vme in d3 on windows nt workstation

Post by bill_ehl.. » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

i thought i had posted this a day or 2 ago, but it doesn't seem
to have survived to make it as far as the newsgroup.  if it turns
out to be a duplicate, i apologise.

- - - - - -

[...]

Post by Paul Stanle » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Homer

Yes, I believe you do need TCP/IP to use "localhost".

Silly questions the sequel

1)  Have you tried pressing <CR> in the Telnet window, or do you get an egg
timer followed by a "can't connect" type messge?  If it's "can't connect"
then check number 2 below

2) In D3 Device Manager > D3 NT Settings > Telnet Mode Selection, make sure
the "Check to disable Telnet Server" is un-checked and make sure "Use Telnet
Port" is set to 23.

3) As mentioned elsewhere, in Services, stop the D3Vme service, then run
"d:\program files\d3\d3programs\d3vme" /debug

You may want to check the Event Viewer in NT to see if anything shows up
there.

HTH

Paul Stanley
Wardles

> Bill,

> Some silly questions.

> 1.  Have you checked network settings on the NT Workstation to make sure
> that you have got TCP/IP set up as a protocol?   I don't know if you need
> this for localhost or not.

> 2.  Can you connect to NT Workstation from another computer?

> 3.  Are you in a network where # 2 can be tried?

> Larry Hazel

Quote:

> > i thought i had posted this a day or 2 ago, but it doesn't seem
> > to have survived to make it as far as the newsgroup.  if it turns
> > out to be a duplicate, i apologise.

> > - - - - - -

> > have tried various ways of telnet-ing:

> > in run box, enter "telnet", click "ok"; in
> > telnet box, click connect, click "remote system";
> > in connect box: in host-name, enter 127.0.0.1; in port,
> > enter "telnet"; in terminal, enter "vt52";
> > click "connect"

> > in run box, enter "telnet localhost",
> > click "ok"

> > and others.

> > each time there's simply no logon prompt.

> > services in control panel shows both
> > d3vme and d3fsi with status as "started"
> > and "startup" as "automatic"; in the "log
> > on as" box, both have a bullet in "system acct"
> > and a check mark in "allow service to interact
> > with desktop".

> > when i log on to windows nt, i do so as
> > administrator.

> > looking at d3 nt settings in d3 device mgr,
> > the "network and mds config" box has the right
> > computer name and the only round hole (radio
> > button?) with a bullet is "standalone or
> > peer-to-peer server"

> > opening command prompt window and
> > 'ping'-ing gets "it's alive" responses
> > for both d3vme and d3fsi.

> > i would sure appreciate some clues that
> > would help me solve this mystery!

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

1. d3/nt VME items to dos/window?

I have a D3/NT from a customer that I need to get
100,000+ items out into ascii on the windows side.
No FSI is set up.  I was wondering what the fastest
way to accomplish this was?

I was thinking of setting up a new device (pseudo tape)
to a nt directory/file and then doing a WRITEt to that device
thinking that may do the trick.

I need the items to be a row in the dos file with end of item
markers changed to "crlf" thats it, everything stays intact.

Suggestions?

2. SQL Server & SSL, part 2

3. D3/NT VME space problems

4. helpful new florida website

5. D3 ODBC and VME deaths on NT

6. FPMac2.5(LCK) - Compiling API library with MPW

7. D3/NT VME startup problem

8. 8.1.7.x, ARCHIVELOG & a NetApp Filer

9. D3/NT vme restores

10. Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

11. be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

12. disk performance using FSI on D3/NT is slower than VME

13. Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)