unable to ingstop

Post by YD » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 12:04:26

Hi,
due to system maintalence, I need to shutdown ingres.  However, due to
some reason, the ingstop is aborted. I am not able to shutdown ingres.
Followed is the log message. Please offer me suggestions.

Yuandan

Ingres/ingstop

Checking for active Ingres processes in installation II ...

The name server (iigcn) is running.
The recovery server (dmfrcp) is running.
There is one DBMS server (iidbms) running.
There are no Star servers (iistar) running.
There are no Net servers (iigcc) running.
There are no Bridge servers (iigcb) running.
There is no remote command process (rmcmd) running.
The archiver process (dmfacp) is running.

Shutting down DBMS server 1034 ...

DBMS server 1034 still has active session(s).

Shutdown of active Ingres DBMS and Star servers has been aborted.
All active DBMS and Star servers have been re-opened for connections.

unable to ingstop

Post by Mike La » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 20:15:06

> Hi,
> due to system maintalence, I need to shutdown ingres.  However, due to
> some reason, the ingstop is aborted. I am not able to shutdown ingres.
> Followed is the log message. Please offer me suggestions.

> Shutting down DBMS server 1034 ...

> DBMS server 1034 still has active session(s).

> Shutdown of active Ingres DBMS and Star servers has been aborted.
> All active DBMS and Star servers have been re-opened for connections.

The error message seems to speak for itself. The DBMS server has people
actively using the server. Your options at this point are to establish who
they are (via IPM) and go and shout at them or to make the servers
shutdown with "ingstop -f". I generally prefer the latter; it creates much
less tension between users and DBAs!"

----

  "I can barely speak for myself... let alone the CTSU!"
  "Help! My computer's falling apart!! The operating system's in 32 bits!"

1. To ingstop -f or ingstop -kill ?

Thought I'd use a lifeline and ask the audience...............

I know ingstop -kill works when most other things fail.
But the sysref.pdf (and ingstart -help) only mentions
a -f (force or immediate ) parameter.

What exactly is the difference ?

Andre

2. Orcl8i AllowedIdentities optional property or not?

3. Ingstop -force twice

4. VFP: Help. Save button.

5. Using ingstop -force once a week

6. US- NJ Oracle DBA's

7. Ingstart and Ingstop return codes

8. SQL connection problem

9. Ingres II ingstop

10. Ingstop problem on Alpha machine

11. Automatic ingstop

12. Unable to lock cube for writing: unable to delete a role