Aborting INGRES queries gracefully from ESQL/C

Aborting INGRES queries gracefully from ESQL/C

Post by Michael Brig » Sat, 18 May 1991 22:53:43

I have a question about the best way to abort an INGRES query.
I am running an ESQL/C application on an HP 9000/300 series
workstation with Ingres release 6.3.

I am accessing the results using cursors.
I do not have access to 6.3's resource control.

1. How does ISQL act when it receives a control C from the keyboard?
  This is the functionality that I would like - i.e. that in the event of
  some exception condition I can abort the query without aborting the
  unix process which launched the query.
  Is there some proprietary protocol which it uses to communicate with
  the 'dbms' process?

  Is this a method I could use?

2. Is there a graceful way to abort a query from within ESQL/C.

3. Resource control:
  How do QUERY_IO_LIMIT work?
  Does it use the QEP to abort the query because the IO_LIMIT would be
  exceeded or does it abort if the LIMIT is actually reached.

  Presumably QUERY_ROW_LIMIT will only cause an abort after the ROW_LIMIT is
  actually reached.

Cheers,
Mike.

In-Real-Life:   Michael Bright
Address:        Filton Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol, England, BS12 6QZ
Telephone:      [+44] [0]272 799910 x.24015
Home:           0272 500827

1. Gracefully aborting a DTS Package

Within a DTS package, I may realize that there is nothing really to
import (empty import tables, unimportant changes etc.)
How can I stop the execution of the package within the package and
without generating an error?

Regards,
Steffen
--

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

2. Looking for a SQL Server 7.0 expert

3. Blocks on Preview/Win95

4. Help closing ingres gracefully

5. "link" tables from one DB to another

6. Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

7. Backup files have grown too large

8. Help closing ingres gracefully

9. Converting INGRES ESQL to PROGRESS ESQL

10. ESQL/C ct_cursor and ct_send abort the connection

11. Gracefully Cancel a Running Query?

12. CS Queries than can be Cancelled