Brother's Keeper and btrieve?

Post by John Gilliv » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I use Brother's Keeper, a genealogy prog.; I have come across mention of
btrieve in it. Is it the same btrieve as this newsgroup is about?
--
J. P. Gilliver              |  Tel: +44 1245 242133
GEC-Marconi Research Centre |  Fax: +44 1245 242124 or 475244

"This article is offered in good faith but shall not be contractually binding on
and does not necessarily reflect the view of GEC-Marconi Ltd."

Brother's Keeper and btrieve?

Post by Ed Vander Ho » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I use Brother's Keeper, a genealogy prog.; I have come across mention of
>btrieve in it. Is it the same btrieve as this newsgroup is about?

I'm not familiar with Brother's Keeper, by my guess would be that yes,
it is the same. I don't know of any other product called "Btrieve".

Ed Vander Hoek

Post by X.Van_Des.. » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I use Brother's Keeper, a genealogy prog.; I have come across mention of
>btrieve in it. Is it the same btrieve as this newsgroup is about?
>--
>J. P. Gilliver              |  Tel: +44 1245 242133

I think so. I know the DOS version uses the BTrieve driver software
when starting up. The Windows version needs the BTrieve DLL.
But I did not yet manage to use it myself to extract the data.
Please let me know if someone knows how to do it.
Can it be done via ODBC ? Normally ODBC needs a DDF file. But
the data in Brother's Keeper are *.DT5 files.
BTRHLP18 is a Btrieve tool that can show the DT5 files, so they
are genuine BTrieve files. But when I rename the DT5 file to
DDF, it does not work ...
What is the DDF anyway ? Is it just a description of where to
find the data files ?

Any help would be useful.

To my knowledge, the BTrieve version is 5.1

Xavier

1. SQL for 'My brother's brother'

Hi Jonathan,

           Try this sql statement.

SELECT * FROM [Table Name] WHERE Like "*My brother's brother*"

Hope this helps you,

Venkatesh S

Aditi Corp.
http://www.aditi.com
Visit our FAQ Page At : http://www.aditi.com/knowledge/vb/index.html

 Aditi Corp was formerly known as NetQuest Inc.

2. Meta Data Services

3. Accessing data from a 'brother' file

4. MS Internet Server can't connect to SQL Server ODBC source

5. SQL for "My brother's brother"

6. Server reboot - Service fails

7. Contact Keeper - Win95/32s/NT

8. Editing Stored Procedures

9. FileMaker 4 or 5 Score Keeper

10. .dat files 'Btrieve'

11. odbc 'drv' for btrieve files

12. Pervasive 'Server Btrieve' question

13. Read Btrieve files from Access '97 or Excel '97