Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Post by Ralphl » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Sorry time at Sony Music. We are leaving the Pick community. We have already
exported our data to the Oracle database and now we need to reduce the amount
of space that D3 is using on the RS6000 and return that space to AIX.  We have
eliminated most of the data and we are down to 2.1 gig in disk space used. The
following is the steps we are doing. Insofar this not an everyday occurrence,
better to play it safe than sorry and ask if anyone has done this before and
any problems they encountered

1. Backing up Pick 2 copies
2. Remove from AIX the pick volume groups that will not be used starting the
recent (leaving disk 0 , so don't have to reinstall abs)
3. Remove the unused volume/disk from the /usr/lib/pick
4. Delete those volumes groups that the space is only partially used
5. Recreate the partial used volume groups with smaller space
6. Modify the /usr/lib/pick0 with the new disk sizes
7. Do a restore
8. Send out resumes

If anyone sees any oversights or have a different idea on how to do this please
give a call or email

Thanks in Advance
Ralph Sanders

305.471.5554
954.463.7543

Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Post by CWNoa » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Ralph,

I see 1 more step needed:

9. Hire a lot more IS people

Regards,
Charlie

>Sorry time at Sony Music. We are leaving the Pick community. We >have already

exported our data to the Oracle database and now we >need to reduce the amount
of space that D3 is using on the RS6000 >and return that space to AIX.  We have
eliminated most of the data >and we are down to 2.1 gig in disk space used. The
following is the >steps we are doing. Insofar this not an everyday occurrence,
Quote:>better to play it safe than sorry and ask if anyone has done this before >and

any problems they encountered
Quote:

Post by Glen Batchel » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>>Sorry time at Sony Music. We are leaving the Pick community. We >have already

   Hmm... executive decision or technical decision? Just curious..

       Glen aka Ryengoth

          http://pick-source.freeservers.com

Post by Jacob Proffi » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>1. Backing up Pick 2 copies
>2. Remove from AIX the pick volume groups that will not be used starting the
>recent (leaving disk 0 , so don't have to reinstall abs)
>3. Remove the unused volume/disk from the /usr/lib/pick
>4. Delete those volumes groups that the space is only partially used
>5. Recreate the partial used volume groups with smaller space
>6. Modify the /usr/lib/pick0 with the new disk sizes
>7. Do a restore
>8. Send out resumes

I'd move 8 up in the hierarchy, myself.  Possibly to step one.  Particularly
if you don't want to relocate.  There are many Pick openings, but since the
market is a bit constrained they generally include some relocation.

Jacob the recently relocated

Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Post by Ralphl » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The decision was made in board room not technical. Their goal was to have all
the US companies using the same software. Which does make sense . Problem is
the move may have been early since most of the reporting the users need is not
there and what is does not balance for the current month figures. and the move
had been planned for 1.5 yrs ouch

Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Post by Ralphl » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Ps
Sony Elect. in the UK went with all D3/Linux

Post by t.. » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Ralph,

>I see 1 more step needed:

>9. Hire a lot more IS people

>Regards,
>Charlie

>>Sorry time at Sony Music. We are leaving the Pick community.

Let's not forget the tons of additional hardware to get the
application running at something more than a crawl.  Sounds like some
price increases in Sony products are at hand.  Too bad... I like (and
buy) Sony stuff!

Post by rg » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Let's not forget the tons of additional hardware to get the
>application running at something more than a crawl.  Sounds like some
>price increases in Sony products are at hand.  Too bad... I like (and
>buy) Sony stuff!

Not to worry.  Sony Music used to be CBS Records (or Columbia if you're in
the USA).  So your alternative is MP3.

But it is a shame.  Ralph's site was one of the early Ultimate sites, 1979.
Which lead to Pick in Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Canada,
Portugal, Ireland, Greece by 1986.  Unfortunately by then some Cobolers got
ahold of it.  And it was downhill from there.

Roger

Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Post by Michael Spence » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Roger, Ralph,

Roger - It really is a small world on the internet!  I wonder if you
remember me,  Michael Spencer, CBS Records Canada 1983-1989?  I always
wondered what happened to you.  What are you doing with yourself these days?
I recently went back to Sony Music Canada for a 15-month contract position.
Yes, I'm a Pick diehard - I don't know if it is out of my love for Pick or
out of laziness to retrain myself.

Ralph - I recently helped with a disaster recovery test with Sony Canada and
they are on the same platform as you.  Sounds like you have the steps down
alright, but you also have the luxury of it not being a live system that you
are resizing, right?  If it was a live system, and you still have the
installation diskettes and manual, I would recommend a total purge and
reinstall of the o/s and saves.  I only say this because I have never heard
of anyone trying to downsize an install like you are doing.  Let me know if

>Not to worry.  Sony Music used to be CBS Records (or Columbia if you're in
>the USA).  So your alternative is MP3.

>But it is a shame.  Ralph's site was one of the early Ultimate sites, 1979.
>Which lead to Pick in Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Canada,
>Portugal, Ireland, Greece by 1986.  Unfortunately by then some Cobolers got
>ahold of it.  And it was downhill from there.

>Roger

Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Post by Luke Webbe » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>But it is a shame.  Ralph's site was one of the early Ultimate sites, 1979.
>Which lead to Pick in Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Canada,
>Portugal, Ireland, Greece by 1986.  Unfortunately by then some Cobolers got
>ahold of it.  And it was downhill from there.

CBS was a good sale for Ultimate in Sydney as well. We were only a small
operation, so selling a decent-sized DPS-6 was real cause for celebration.
Of course Pick was already well established in Australia by that time, with
Oz sites accounting for something like 9% of the installed Pick base.

Luke

Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Post by Simon Carte » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>CBS was a good sale for Ultimate in Sydney as well. We were only a small
>operation, so selling a decent-sized DPS-6 was real cause for celebration.
>Of course Pick was already well established in Australia by that time, with
>Oz sites accounting for something like 9% of the installed Pick base.

>Luke

Just as a matter of interest: I've often heard that Australasia was one of
Pick's real success stories in terms of market share. Luke, do you or any
other Ocker contributors know the figures on this?

PS congrats on the World Cup. Did Warne actually break into a sweat
yesterday?

Leaving Pick/reducing Pick database size

Post by Ken Walli » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Simon Carter wrote

[snip]

Quote:>PS congrats on the World Cup. Did Warne actually break into a sweat
>yesterday?

As the Daily Mirror is reported to have said:

"It ain't over till the fat bloke spins!"

Cheers,

Ken Wallis

Empower Data Solutions Pty Limited, ACN 079 955 196

Envision, enable, enhance... empower

Post by Luke Webb » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>As the Daily Mirror is reported to have said:
>"It ain't over till the fat bloke spins!"

Ouch! They'd better not go looking for an interview with Warnie for a few
months!

--
Luke Webber

* Note: The opinions expressed by Luke Webber are in no way supported *
*       by his employers, Luke Webber Consulting Services             *

1. Rumor? Data General leaving Pick market

Hello,

Has anyone else heard a rumor that DG is pulling out of the Pick
market becuase they can't sell enough hardware in it?

Tom

305-685-7381 ext 408

"If you attack stupidity you attack an entrenched
interest with friends in government and every walk
of public life, and you will make small progress
against it!"

                                Samuel Marchbanks

2. Learning Essbase

3. Telnet connection leaving pick process running question

4. text to access, source column too large for buffer

5. Pick Systems Reorganizes Marketing, Brian Stone Leaves

6. multivalued attributes converted to relationships

7. Pick and Pick-like windows for dumb terminals

8. SQL Question...

9. PICK to PICK transfers

10. New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

11. Pick to Oracle/Oracle to Pick

12. PICK Conversion for a non-Pick programmer