Table locking problems

Post by Wylie Leu » Mon, 11 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'm writing a program to serve 8 ttys in SCO UNIX with the help of Ingres in
providing informations.

However, I hit error when I'm having a tty updating a table and another
retrieving data from that table.

Would you tell me how can I have this problem solved?  Should I have to use
semaphone for this kind of problems?

Thanks, in advance.

Table locking problems

Post by Ronald Jening » Mon, 11 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hello Wylie,

I'd like to give you a help, but the amount of information you provide
is not very great.

Quote:> However, I hit error when I'm having a tty updating a table and another
> retrieving data from that table.

Apparently you have a database with only one table. It might be interesting
to tell a little bit more about this table. What's the storage structure,
what's the row-length, what's the number of pages, how do you access your
table in your application, etc, etc, ...

First of all, the output of "help table yourtablename" (isql, sql). would be
a great help.

Quote:> Would you tell me how can I have this problem solved?  Should I have to use
> semaphone for this kind of problems?

No, you don't need any semaphores, because Ingres has it's own locking system
(if I understood well, the part of ingres making you troubles). But you'll
have to program in accordance to this locking system in order to get
performance.

Good luck, Ronald

--- Since I'm using Linux, I'm having fortune every day ---
exit

Table locking problems

Post by John Litt » Fri, 15 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>snip
>However, I hit error when I'm having a tty updating a table and another
>retrieving data from that table.

If you don't mind "dirty reads", use "set lockmode session where readlock
= nolock".  To implement this widely, use ingsetenv to set this in
ING_SYSTEM_SET, or set ING_SYSTEM_SET to point at a file ("include
path-name") that has this in it.

--
John Little
Auckland, New Zealand, phone (64) (9) 575 4621

1. Mail Merge - table lock problem

Hi,

I'm using Word 97 to do a mail merge and Word is making a connection
to SQL Server and calls a stored procedure get the merge columns.

The problem is, when the user does print preview, all tables used in
the stored procedure have Sh_intent locks (even after the stored
procedure was exited) and no other users can add new rows to those
tables until the print preview window is closed.

I'm not sure what Word is doing to do that but I want those locks to
be released as soon as the stored procedure terminates.

Is there any set commands that I can put into the stored procedure to
do this? Or is there any other way (such as changing the connection
string)?

Thanks,
Glenn

2. Installing 7.0 on Win 2000 Server

3. Table Locking problems with Stored Procedure

4. Upgrading from VFP 5 to 6

5. Table lock problems...

6. Stored Procedures and Interbase Databases

7. table locking problem

8. Error Severity Level

9. Replication Table Lock Problem - Help

10. Table locked problem

11. Table locking Problem

12. Cannot update , table locked problem

13. Database table locking problem - reposting the query