PicLan over NT RAS Workstation

Post by Luke J. Buckli » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have been working on getting PicLan to work over NT RAS.  Mr. Dumitru has
been helping me extensively through this journey and he has been extremely
helpful (read "Buy PicLan").

I know that it works and that people right here in our own CDP community
have gotten it to work before.  I am VERY close to getting it to work, but
I have one question for all of you net wizards out there:

Does this work with NT Workstation or does it only work with NT Server?
I'm using workstation and here is, in a nutshell, what my problem is:

*************  Configuration 1 ***************

NT Workstation
--------------
Network adapter bound to IPX/SPX w/ NetBIOS support
Network number 1, frame type 802.3
WAN Wrapper bound to IPX/SPX w/ NetBIOS support
Network number 2, frame type 802.3

Win 95 workstations (local)
-------------------
IPX/SPX w/ NetBIOS support
Network number 1, frame type 802.3

AP/PRO host (local)
-------------------
Network number 1, frmate type 802.3

Win 95 workstation (remote)
---------------------------
Frame type, auto

I can connect to the RAS remotely, access the network, but PicLan doesn't
work remotely or on the local NT workstation. Also, PicLan will die on some
local workstations while NT Workstation is running.

*************  Configuration 2 ***************

Same as configuration 1 except:

NT Workstation
--------------
WAN Wrapper bound to IPX/SPX w/ NetBIOS support
Frame type, auto
(network adapter is still 802.3 and net# 1)

PicLan now works on the NT Workstation, and all of the local workstations
work just fine. I can connect to RAS remotely, however, I only see the NT
Workstation, not any of the other clients and PicLan doesn't find the pick
server.  In other words, it doesn't appear to ROUTE IPX under this
configuration.

Any ideas?

Verity Data Corporation   612-350-7403

PicLan over NT RAS Workstation

Post by Nathan Rect » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Win 95 workstation (remote)
>---------------------------
>Frame type, auto

Last I knew, when you configured Win95 with Pic-Lan, you couldn't use Auto for
the frame type.  It works sometimes, but other times it doesn't.  Try changing
the Frame type to 802.3 and see if that works.

Quote:>PicLan now works on the NT Workstation, and all of the local workstations
>work just fine. I can connect to RAS remotely, however, I only see the NT
>Workstation, not any of the other clients and PicLan doesn't find the pick
>server.  In other words, it doesn't appear to ROUTE IPX under this
>configuration.

I know that the Win95 dialup server doesn't route IPX, it's possible that
NTworkstation uses the same type of dialup server.  I've been looking at the
same problems off and on for a few months now.   Let me know if you find a
solution with NT workstation.

-Nathan Rector
 Natec Systems

 http://www.northcoast.com/~nater/